Author Topic: Feature Request - Webrep  (Read 6590 times)

Hellion

Feature Request - Webrep
« on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
Hi All,

I would like to request a feature for Webrep.

I currently use Web of trust Firefox Add-on and prefer that, but I would have liked to use Webrep also (I know you can use both) but, I do not want Webrep ratings next to search results and links.

I wish I could keep Webrep simply as a Toolbar Icon next to WOT and only see WOT ratings next to links.

An option for this in the Webrep expert settings would be much appreciated.

Then I could have my cake and eat it :)

Regards,
Hellion
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:14:54 PM by Hellion »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Feature Request - Webrep
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
Doesn't it work? I mean, the suppress option?
The best things in life are free.

Hellion

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Hi Tech,

That's not what "suppress tooltip" does.

That just stops the popup when hovering over a webrep rating next to a link or search result.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
Oh... Sorry then.
The best things in life are free.

Hellion

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
Hi Tech,

I made the same mistake until someone on the forums corrected me.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Well what will produce that kind of outcome for Chrome is additionally install the Zscaler SES extension. Then you will have the avast webrep indication in the browser bar for the site visited and you could combine other web rep on the google search page. I combine BitDefender's TrafficLight,  M86, DRWeb's online check, WOT and avast WebRep and find their results will sometimes differ. Bitdefender's TrafficLight alerts to issues others do not flag. M86 is real time and will fail if it cannot connect to perform a particular scan, it gives a question mark. WOT sometimes also have interesting background information, bujt their database is user-base dependant, so I will compare their results with overall Webutation results example: http://www.webutation.net/go/review/forum.avast.com?req=chrome
Webutation comes as you prefer it in the address bar, so you might find it attractive to have next to Web of Trust? Then you can also use the services of scanning for a web rep index at: http://www.brightcloud.com/support/lookup.php (both URL and IP scanning).  Enjoy,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hellion

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
Hi Polonus,

Interesting how you combine and use all of them.

My browser of choice is Firefox and not chrome though.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
Well  Zscaler SES add-on is also available as Fx add-on, if that would produce your requested outcome, I do not know? You could try it from here: http://research.zscaler.com/2010/07/new-firefox-add-on-to-protect-against.html 
At least it will bring you  protection against Blackhat SEO Spam. If it also works for you to get your desired results, then let me know.
Give the web rep issues that you find interesting and report them to us in the virus and worms section of the avast support forums,
and keep feeding the avast web rep database with your votes,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
also using Zscaler SES add-on (found it when polonus posted some web analysis on a user's request to check his webpage :P)

a very good un-intrusive zero day protection.

i also use the Zscaler safe shopping add-on for addition phishing protection :)

Hellion

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
Hi polonus,

Maybe I was confused or stupid or both, but I thought this would allow me to control the reputation add-on's icons?

The add-on you suggested just stops search engine poisoning?

My request in this thread is that I want to use Webrep and Wot together , but only see WOT icons next to links and search results.

Please find attached a screenshot of the issue.

Regards,
Hellion
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:00:00 PM by Hellion »

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »
Well  Zscaler SES add-on is also available as Fx add-on, if that would produce your requested outcome, I do not know? You could try it from here: http://research.zscaler.com/2010/07/new-firefox-add-on-to-protect-against.html 
At least it will bring you  protection against Blackhat SEO Spam. If it also works for you to get your desired results, then let me know.
Give the web rep issues that you find interesting and report them to us in the virus and worms section of the avast support forums,

polonus

i dun think he is sure if it would block webrep, he is asking u to try it and tell him ur results.

as i am also using Zscaler SES add-on, from what i know, it does not do as what u would like - webrep not appearing beside search results, only as a toolbar icon.

source: http://www.zscaler.com/searchenginesecurity.html

Hellion

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 09:48:27 AM »

polonus

i dun think he is sure if it would block webrep, he is asking u to try it and tell him ur results.

as i am also using Zscaler SES add-on, from what i know, it does not do as what u would like - webrep not appearing beside search results, only as a toolbar icon.

source: http://www.zscaler.com/searchenginesecurity.html

Hi AntiVirusASeT,

Yes, you are correct.

But this add-on does what it says; It stops search engine poisoning.

It's useful so I'll hang on to it. :)

Would still needing a solution to my original request.

Regards,
Hellion.

Springflower

WebRep What is it??
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.  I just got a notification from Firefox that it disabled WebRep b/c it was
added on without my approval.  But it comes from Avast! which I trust.  So can you explain
what WebRep does and do you recommend that I enable it?  Thank you!