Author Topic: Avast Latest Version: Internet Connection Stalling  (Read 4528 times)

amish

Avast Latest Version: Internet Connection Stalling
« on: February 28, 2005, 02:43:27 PM »
Good Morning Everyone,

First off, I love Avast, except at this very moment :-).  SInce the latest update 4.6 something my internet connection either does not cooperate or stalls.  I feel like I am on dial up again :-(

This is what I have and how it is configured:
Win XP Pro SP2
Avast Pro - Set up correctly according to help file (Proxy setup in IE Tools)
Agnitum Outpost -  Set to block most mode, I made permissions for latest updates to Avast

I dont think you need to know what type of pc I have.

What happens is that I get my pc booted up, then try and go online.  Once IE opens it takes a good 30 secs for my home page to load (google).  Then when trying to search or browse the net, it either stall and timeout or take an abundant amount of time for the pages to load.

I tested that avast was the problem by stopping all the providers.  After doing this I am able to browse the internet with no problems or interuptions.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, if you need more info please let me know.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 02:57:44 PM by amish »

amish

Re: Avast Latest Version: Internet Connection Stalling
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 04:29:03 PM »
Does anyone think that if I reinstall Avast that it might solve the problem?

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:39:19 AM »
Avast Pro - Set up correctly according to help file (Proxy setup in IE Tools)

Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

Agnitum Outpost -  Set to block most mode, I made permissions for latest updates to Avast

Did you allow ashWebSv.exe to connect the Internet into your firewall settings?
If you disable the Web Shield provider (into avast On-access providers settings) will you be allowed to connect the Internet?
The best things in life are free.

amish

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:23:59 PM »
Thanks for the tips Technical.  It is now up and running but still not at the blazing speed I am used to.

I did allow for ashWebSv.exe connection to the net.

My browser was not set to work offline, but I did have it set to the Proxy setting recommended in the avast help file.  It seems that when I took those settings out I was able to connect again.

Thanks!

carl82

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 08:11:09 PM »

Also experienced the same problem for almost a week and tried the suggestions by technical even before I went to this forum.

Anyhows, I solved it by doing these below..
Access the Avast! On-Access scanner control panel, click the details button, click the web shield then customize.

On the general tab, uncheck the Enable Web scanning box..

Don't really know what that is for, but it stopped my connection from stalling considering the fact that I'm already using a dial-up.

Must have been caused by the last update..

more power to avast team!:)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 11:16:53 PM »
On the general tab, uncheck the Enable Web scanning box..
Don't really know what that is for, but it stopped my connection from stalling considering the fact that I'm already using a dial-up.

I think you disabled the provider (WebShield is off)...  ::)

nikdo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 11:31:49 PM »
I am having similar problems. I am W2K, Zone Alarm(all avast allowed), TDS-3, Spywareblaster,SpyBot S&D Resident IE protection, and as mentioned above-Google as home page.
I havenot experienced any problems until today, when I tried to log in to my router to look at the log(something I do every few days as a habit).  That's when I saw the Avast error page, something else I have never seen before!  The thing is that once I get that error page, the only way I can get any type of connection back at all is to reboot.  This includes disabling the web scanner, and even as an investigation, disabling Avast entirely.  As much as I was beginning to prefer Avast over my previous(removed) AV, I am unhappy with this trade-off.
Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 11:51:00 PM »
Nikdo, Zone Alarm has being some incompatibilities with avast new provider (WebShield).
You can find more here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0

nikdo

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »
Hi,
I have Zone Alarm free version, which does not have cookie or privacy features, so it must be something else. 
However, I do know that JavaCool's SpywareBlocker has those features.  I tried disabling those and still the problem persists.