Author Topic: Does Avast kill your Mac's battery? How to temporarily disable Avast?  (Read 7276 times)

metasant

Since I installed Avast (7.0) I have observed that my fully-charged MBP (OS 10.7) goes down in just an hour. I wanted to see what happens when Avast is disabled, maybe there was some other issue, but I couldn't find the function/s.

I did visit the Preferences. Disabled the three Shields - File System, Web, Mail. But when I open Avast to check - I find the three disabled but 'Engine' as 'on' - does this mean that the engine is on because i have opened Avast? Will it be completely disabled if I quit Avast?

I don't think there's any other reason for my Mac to slow-down like mad except for Avast; the only new s/w that I installed. Please provide your inputs. Also - does your Mac's battery get affected, dies down quick, when Avast is at work?

I think if I can't disable Avast when I am off power, I shall have to uninstall and say goodbye to Avast.

Thanks...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:47:45 PM by metasant »

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Does Avast kill your Mac's battery? How to temporarily disable Avast?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
Hi,

The battery can go down only as a result of CPU/Disk usage. You should see avast (avast proxy, avast MAD) ranked high in the Activity Monitor. A snippet of your system log would also help (Console -> export to a text file and send it to me).

We have an issue with our Web/Mail Shield which might cause a high CPU usage. In that case, disabling shield should solve the problem (a fix will be released shortly).

Regards,
Jan

mcclurf

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 12:38:53 AM »
I did disables all of the shields on Avast 7.0 for Mac but the Avast engine was still on and using 97%+ of my cpu. So I rebooted and then Avast freed up the cpu and things started working back to normal on my Mac. Is there a fix coming from Avast?

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
Hi,

The recent update contains a workaround fix. We're working on a proper fix right now. Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Regards,
Jan