Author Topic: start up help screen and computer freeze problems  (Read 3798 times)

spinwiz

start up help screen and computer freeze problems
« on: September 14, 2003, 10:22:11 AM »
I'm brand new to Avast and would appreciate any advice.

First problem:I am unable to prevent the simple user interface 5 point help screen,when starting the program,from appearring every time.When I check the box for "don't show this window again",an error message appears...
        An error has occurred in the script on this page.
        Line:220
        Char:26
        Error:Object doesn't support this property or method.
        Code:0
         URL:mk@MSHstoreD:Programs\Alwil%20Software\Avast4\English\Help\ChecklistSimple.chm::/checklist.htm

Second problem:When I scan my hard drives,the computer freezes on the same file each time.Avast says it is still running,but when I try to shut it down with Ctrl Alt Del,it says the program is not responding.
I did see messages about a problem similar to this,but I did not understand them.

I hope someone can help me out.Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:start up help screen and computer freeze problems
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 01:10:08 PM »
1. is caused by a bug in IE inctroduces to your system by the February 2003 IE cummulative patch. See http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=862;start=msg4616#msg4616 for more.

2. can you turn on the generation of the report file in program settings? After you do this, rerun the scan and see what's at the end. BTW what  OS are you using?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

spinwiz

Re:start up help screen and computer freeze problems
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 12:54:46 AM »
Thank you! I'll try your suggestions.