Author Topic: Should I allow avast web scanner?  (Read 22534 times)

Jarmo P

Re: Should I allow avast web scanner?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »
Good post Vlk, and thx.
Well, I do hope that Technical's suggestion won't be to change firewall when someone comes to ask a question about SPF and Webshield. But I try to not get "offended" by him again.  ;D

Agree with you that there is no reason to change either antivirus or firewall and to keep webshield running. Well there are people and there are people, "different strokes for different folks".
All so subjective.

RV01

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2005, 10:50:03 AM »
I was also wondering if the fact that my internet connection is PSTN would change the way I should configure the proxy server ???

Jarmo P

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2005, 11:21:48 AM »
Proxy server setting for Windows 95, 98, and Millennium using the local area network (LAN):

Internet Explorer:

Start Internet Explorer.
Select Tools ® Internet Options... from the main menu.
Switch to page Connections.
Click on the LAN Settings... button.
Check the option Use a proxy server for your LAN
Write localhost into the Adress field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
Enter 12080 into the Port field.
Confirm with OK button.

Proxy server setting for Windows 95, 98, and Millennium using dial-up connection (modem):

Start Internet Explorer.
Select Tools ® Internet Options... from the main menu.
Switch to page Connections.
Select your dial-up connection from the list and click on the Settings... button.
Check the option Use a proxy server for this connection.
Write localhost into the Adress field (alternatively, you can enter IP address 127.0.0.1, which is the same as localhost).
Enter 12080 into the Port field.
Confirm with OK button.

I think there is no difference, you just select the connection as told in the above Avast help. Set a manual proxy for IE.
I do use Firefox browser and not IE.

Try it RV01, no use hesitating too much when it is easy to verify in praxis :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2005, 03:56:10 PM »
Well, I do hope that Technical's suggestion won't be to change firewall when someone comes to ask a question about SPF and Webshield.
My suggestions have the strong they have.
You won't stole their value just because you think different.

But I try to not get "offended" by him again.  ;D
This is the real kindergarten. After you offend me, I'm due to have offended you... Com'on boy, you're must be kidding.
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2005, 04:16:18 PM »
Peace brother. Your suggestions have their strengths.

But reminding you that when you speak of a "bug", many of the users think there is something serious around that will immediately compromise their system.
They don't know anything else, just think there is some big hole when using WebShield.
Sygate's outbound application control is not very much weakened when running webshield in my experience.

Hope you understand my point also.
And Vlk's post helped, cause of course he has also some more prestige here than poor me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2005, 05:19:01 PM »
But reminding you that when you speak of a "bug", many of the users think there is something serious around that will immediately compromise their system. They don't know anything else, just think there is some big hole when using WebShield.

The problem is not WebShield and never was.
The problem is on Sygate.

I use the same words that are posted in Sygate forum: bug/problem.
It's a shame that more than one year and the company could not solve - writting the code again or not - that a local proxy could be a hole in the outbound connections.

Sygate's outbound application control is not very much weakened when running webshield in my experience.

But, with your words, it is weakened in some extension anyway...
Vlk said 99% secure, there is not a problem... I know, I understand, but I'd like to see Sygate's guys working on it and not just silence.
There is not a word about the problem in the ReadMe or other easy found informations about Sygate.

Hope you understand my point also.
Sure, I'm glad we can speak in peace now.
Anyway, it won't change my point of view about Sygate.

And Vlk's post helped, cause of course he has also some more prestige here.
In fact, he's the boss  8)
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2005, 07:02:47 PM »
The problem is not WebShield and never was.
The problem is on Sygate.

No one blamed anyone.
I wish to have a firewall like Sygate's without that local proxy issue!
But as Vlk told us, it would need a total rewrite, maybe a new design, who knows what it would involve.
So you can ask what you want, but we have to choose what is existing.
ZA for newbies is great. It has it's weaknesses as all the rest.
So does Sygate, it is also a kind of an easy software firewall, but more options than ZA. And not to be used with local proxies unless wanting just an XP SP2 firewall protection with though great logging abilities.

We can ask what we want, but as it is, I am happy with Avast team solution about their WebShield, how it works with SPF.
Sygate is a good firewall when running without other proxy software.

I tell you also here in public, that I have no connection to Sygate, except only as a forum member. Same as here, although feeling a bit bashed up now by you.

Sometimes I wish to try nitty gritty, like Kerio 2.15. It would be a good learning I think. Only I don't think I have time and energy to do what it takes. And I have some programs i want to keep working, heh.

But this thread was not really about firewalls, even I am not interested in them so much. Knowing HOW MUCH time it takes to learn.

It was just some guy who asked if he/she should allow Webshield while running Sygate.
And my answer is YES

lee16

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2005, 08:28:02 PM »
Sygate works fine for me with the new webshield (apart from browser not being 'Ask'ed to connect to the internet.), so as far as I'm concerned, Sygate is still the best firewall out there, simply because i love the look and feel of it.

Zonealarm for me is a good firewall for me, but just seems to featureless and just generally doesn't look very nice (reminds me of the AVG GUI), plus it just doesn't seem to let you share files and printers on networks (free version only), but at being a firewall in general, steals and blocks ports very well.

Also i feel Technical wasn't being 'ignorant', he was just expressing his opinions on what to do (which since this is a public forum, he is intitled to).

--lee
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 08:31:51 PM by lee16 »