Author Topic: Problem with Internet Mail Provider  (Read 57580 times)

Athene

Re: Problem with Internet Mail Provider
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2005, 03:28:45 AM »
I read few hours ago, this morning...
I'm empty... Something is bringing back a Registry entry that should not...
It's strange... I'm thinking  ::)

well, we are at wit's end trying to figure out what could be causing the entries to return.
none of it is making sense as I have done everything that has been suggested and they keep coming back...

I don't know if I should just start again at the beginning and do it all again or if that would only make things worse.

Annie

Walker

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2005, 11:58:11 AM »
[
well, we are at wit's end trying to figure out what could be causing the entries to return.
none of it is making sense as I have done everything that has been suggested and they keep coming back...

Hi Athene,

I remember your mom posted a thread about this problem after one of the Avast updates. I don't think it was ever resolved and I can imagine how frustrating it must be.

Only thoughts (Vojtech and Vlk will know better), but I wonder if you have the correct "permissions" (administrator rights) to change the registry entries.

Another "wild" guess (some might disagree), I wonder if the registry is, for some reason, being reverted back from the pagefil.sys, hiberfil.sys or System Restore?.?.?

I can't really see why these Avast entries would keep returning, there's no chance that there is an old version of Avast sitting somewhere on your machine in a different folder?.?.?.

Really just wild thoughts.

W.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2005, 12:44:56 PM »
Athene, Walker is right... let's guess a little to see if we can solve it.
For me, it's frustrating when I can't help... When nobody from Alwil could understand and help too...  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Athene

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2005, 02:08:29 PM »
Thank you, Walker and Technical...

And I am open to any advice now! Granted I am not as knowledgeable about computers as most here, BUT I do know enough to follow directions and am more than willing to try.
Momma never did get Avast! working right after that update, although she did her best to follow what was recommended. She had to resort to literally turning the computer off and letting it set, then powering on again to get the internet mail provider to work.
As it was then, this especially happens after any update and reboot (if it is needed). That includes any update from WU or the security progs on this system. Also, it happens when I used msconfig>startup to delete ashMaiSv from startup--then I ended up with two entries for ashMaiSv (one box checked, one not)
So something is recreating the entry.

Walker, there may well be an old version on this computer! Or bits and pieces left over from un/re-installing it. But the ashClear.exe was used to uninstall, so I thought that would remove all traces of Avast! (and I followed the instructions on the site)

Annie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2005, 07:47:59 PM »
So something is recreating the entry.

I see no reason for that but, in fact, I had in the past one application that do that: even if I delete the entry, it was reacreated every boot.
Can you see if your Registry entry is similar (except the path) to mine?

Athene

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2005, 03:46:32 AM »
Technical, I am not exactly what path you wanted me to look for :-[
but this is in the following when I navigated to what you posted:
image path REG_Expand_SZ   c:\program files\alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe\service

Depend on service  REG_Multi_SZ  Avast antivirus

Description REG_SZ implements mail scanning for avast anti virus

Display Name REG_SZ Avast! mail scanner

Earlier I posted this:
entries are still in the registry.
msconfig>startup still shows two entries: one box is checked, one unchecked (ashMaiSv)

regedit: still an entry for ashMaiSv in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
Current Version\Run
this is *after* deleting and reboot

I am sorry if this is not what you are looking for, Technical. Just let me know and I'll look again.

annie

Walker

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2005, 12:42:22 PM »
Athene,

Did Vojtech come up with any more suggestions. Perhaps it might be worth e-mailing him or opening an official support request... just in case the Alwil team are no longer following this thread.

It really looks as though you might have to try "repairing" Windows or even a complete format/reinstall if you can't get rid of those registry entries. I think they are going to keep confusing Avast! until there gone. <sigh>

W.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 01:02:37 PM by Walker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2005, 01:03:25 PM »
Technical, I am not exactly what path you wanted me to look for :-[

I mean the Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avast! Mail Scanner\

Look at the top of the picture.
Anyway, follow Walker's advice: maybe he's not following this thread anymore.
It's a shame, whatever they should talk if they can't solve this...  :(

Athene

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2005, 03:07:20 PM »
Technical, the information I posted was from the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avast! Mail Scanner\

:) I did look at the top of the picture and navigated there.

This stinks that I cannot get this resolved!

Annie

Athene

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2005, 03:17:24 PM »
Athene,

Did Vojtech come up with any more suggestions. Perhaps it might be worth e-mailing him or opening an official support request... just in case the Alwil team are no longer following this thread.

It really looks as though you might have to try "repairing" Windows or even a complete format/reinstall if you can't get rid of those registry entries. I think they are going to keep confusing Avast! until there gone. <sigh>

W.

the registry entries are still there despite following what has been recommended.

yes, I may very well have to repair Windows or re-install...

No, I have received no further suggestions from Alwil support after I initially emailed and IMd about the problem. Of course, I am only one of many users and this problem of mine is most likely not high priority to them...such is life, I guess.

Annie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2005, 09:42:28 PM »
I know you've already done but, please, put the line
Log=20
into the file avast4.ini under [MailScanner] section to get a detailed logging and then stop & start 'Internet Mail' provider, send and receive mails, etc.
After all send the log file Avast4\DATA\log\aswMaiSv.log by mail to Vojtech.
Maybe we can know a little more...

Walker

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2005, 01:37:42 PM »
No, I have received no further suggestions from Alwil support after I initially emailed and IMd about the problem. Of course, I am only one of many users and this problem of mine is most likely not high priority to them...such is life, I guess.

Annie

Athene,

I noticed Vojtech and Vlk (who is responsible for support) have been on the forum since your last posts. I can only think they keep missing your messages.

Try e-mailing support again... If you click on the "A" icon and start Avast, there is a "mail Support" option under "Help"... if you use this method of e-mailing them, it will send them your paid up Pro registration number and and few basic details about your machine and installation. They are nice guy's and I don't think they would intentionally be rude or discourteous and ignore you, they must just have missed/forgotten the thread.

Let us now how you get on.

W.

Athene

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2005, 04:13:42 PM »
Walker, thank you...
But I am still waiting for a response from my last IM.
Emailing again would just have the same information...

I know the support team are nice folks, and I sincerely appreciate the help already given. I also see that there are now 11,000 registered users so my problem has probably just been lost in everything else that is happening.

I do hate the thought of a reinstall of Windows to resolve this, but will do it if necessary. I really would like to know if this problem is Avast! related or something else...

Wouldn't aswClear.exe have removed all traces of Avast! from this system? Why would entries still show up after running it then checking msconfig and regedit and the same entries are still there? And that is before reinstallation of Avast!...

Annie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2005, 04:17:29 PM »

Please, don't send IM to Vlk. Only emails.

I know the support team are nice folks, and I sincerely appreciate the help already given. I also see that there are now 11,000 registered users so my problem has probably just been lost in everything else that is happening.

In fact, you deserve the help  ;)

Wouldn't aswClear.exe have removed all traces of Avast! from this system?

I think the problem is with msconfig... Don't 'disable' or try to remove the entries there.
Enable then all, uninstall, boot, run the aswClear.exe, boot, install again.
Annie, sorry for your time...  :-[

Walker

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2005, 04:34:14 PM »
Walker, thank you...
Emailing again would just have the same information...

Athene,

I do agree with you, but I was once told by "someone in the know" that they respond within 5 days tops. If it has been longer than that, all you can be expected to do is assume your e-mail has gone astray and re-send.

You will do not harm and you are entitled to raise a support issue.

W.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 04:38:53 PM by Walker »