Author Topic: 'An untrusted program is trying to disable Avast' - How to tell what program?  (Read 10720 times)

rhyme-time

Okay I ran the system file check and it found integrity violations.
The log is veery long and wont let me post... Do I attach it or do I run a different scan to fix it or...?

NoelC

Well, if you trust Microsoft's own repair tool to actually repair your OS, the command to do it is:

SFC /SCANNOW

Hopefully it will tell you all problems were fixed, then you should reboot.

Do you have your critical data backed up?  I'd suggest backing things up.

-Noel

rhyme-time

Thank you for your help so far.. I appreciate it. But I have a stupid question...

Im not really sure how to back up...... Like I have this hard drive thing I think its for backing up stuff onto it or something... '_'
Um like can I backup files onto a disc or a USB flashdrive or a hard drive or where do I put the data?

Also, what can cause integrity violations? Is it limited to malware...?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:51:46 AM by rhyme-time »

NoelC

One way is simply to copy files to a backup drive - for example an external USB drive (I use Western Digital MyBooks).

The intent is that you're protecting your valuable data from the possibility of loss, though that possibility may be small.

It pays to take some time to understand your backup system and what you'll need to do to restore files, since when you need it it's never convenient, and you'll be without your computer system with which you could have done the research.

-Noel

rhyme-time

Heh, sorry if this is a little late, but I have not forgotten about this topic.
I have backed up 98% of my files and I was going to do the SFC scannow command but I have a question, do I need a Windows Vista installation disc or something like that? because I don't have one, the computer came with Vista already installed... I think.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Vista and above should be able to use the system cache quite happily