Author Topic: Avast 8 free and autoupdater  (Read 3295 times)

Alievitan

Avast 8 free and autoupdater
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »
Just need a clarification for the software autoupdate feature and Avast 8.  For the free version it seems it only works via manual update correct?  You would need Avast premier for the process to be automated? 

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: Avast 8 free and autoupdater
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
Yup - the "auto update" for the software update feature is part of the "Premier" version.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:14:26 PM »
Just need a clarification for the software autoupdate feature and Avast 8.  For the free version it seems it only works via manual update correct?  You would need Avast premier for the process to be automated? 

No, the Auto update for virus definitions has been working just fine on my system.
Are you getting any errors displayed ?

What is your operating system and firewall ?

What are your update settings ?
avastUI > Settings > Updates, scroll down to Proxy Settings and expand that section ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tetsuo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Hey DavidR, I guess the OP was referring to the "Software Health" module...

EDIT: Nope. Now I think you were right - just ignore my post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
The more I read it, I'm not sure either, but the OP now has two answers depending on which circumstance it is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alievitan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:45 PM »
Windows 7 64 bit, not using proxy, have default Windows Firewall.  I got the autoupdate tab, and it just says my software is update with the exception of Itunes, which i purposely left outdated.  I click activate automatic updates icon below and it just checks my avast license and splashes a "get Avast premier version."

So I need specifics? I am assuming that the free version won't notify me of outdated software via alerts, and it won't automatically update those software.  Those features are exclusive to the premier version. 

I would need to manually go the software updater tab, and rescan my computer for outdated and then manually indivdially update them. 

Don't get me wrong, it is still a useful great tool if it is so for Avast free users, but I need a clarification.  Especially if Avast free users automatically get any alerts in the vein of something like Secunia or Filehippo. 

naren17

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »
Then what is this checked setting for?

Attached is the screenshot

Tetsuo

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »
@DavidR - Mistery solved.

@Alievitan - I'm not sure about auto-notification (without manually invoking a scan) of out-of-date software with the Free version.
However, I know for sure that the Free version will  not automatically update any out-of-date software: autoupdate mode is only available with the Premier version.

Offline keloo05

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
Then what is this checked setting for?

Attached is the screenshot

I think that setting is intended for Premier version only, but somehow got past the beta testing and ended up in the other tiers (Free, Pro, IS). It's confusing for me also.