Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233713 times)

Gary Hall

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
i registered just to post this

i absolutely HATE windows 8 and the metro tile system. its ugly and i dont want a tablet touch OS on my pc ( who has a touch screen monitor?) avast 8 looks just like windows 8, ugly

i apologize if this comes across as being rude but there was nothing wrong with the old UI and i hate that everyone is climbing on MS's cock and trying to copy the new UI. its great for windows phone and tablets but not for the pc so please stop trying to push tiles on me.

also please tell me if there is a way to have to version 7 ui with the new updates
It's quite obvious you know nothing about Windows 8 as there are options to not even see the metro screen if you don't want it, the same goes for avast where the tile are only on the home screen so leaving avast on the security tab means you don't have to see the tiles :) how often do you stare at your AV anyway? it's not there for looks ::)

I would also caution you with your language as this is a public forum which is inhabited regularly by minor's.

you are right about the language and I'm sorry i posed that (edited it out) but i have to disagree with you on the windows 8 thing and perhaps i over reacted a little (a lot) i just dont like it when programs i know how to use totally changes ui on me and i hate hate hate tiles

i do really like the features you have added

MikePerry

« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2013, 02:13:29 PM »
I don't like the new interface, it's far too much like a toy. 

What was wrong with merely improving the previous interface?

One person has suggested skins but that doesn't deal with the usability issues, only the 'bling' effects. 

Remember that most users want software that is simple to use and quietly goes about its job effectively with little interference of the user and little requirement for user input once set up correctly.  That setting up needs to be simple and intuitive so 'bling' gets in the way.

(The Microsoft 'Windows 8' look and feel is not the way to go and there are many complaints about how it does not assist users to do real work but is aimed at playing games and toys!)

paflyer

« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

I never said that I would "force it down your throat". I am merely implying that Chrome is the most popular browser. As for the "it wasn't optional" portion of your statement, there is an opt-out in the installer. Maybe you did not see it?

~!Donovan

Avast asked if I wanted to upgrade to the new v8.  Then it asked to reboot.  Then it was finished.  No options, no questions and Chrome was not only installed, but my default browser.  Sorry, but that's unacceptable to me.

jopa66

« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »
WTF? I hardly ever fill out surveys but, decided to do yours while the software was updating. We all hate drive-by downloads, and websites and software that install nefarious toolbars etc. on our systems without permission to do so. Your survey was mainly dealing with this issue. So after your update installs, it asks me to reboot. After Windows is up and running I then discover that you have not only installed the Google ToolBar into Internet Explorer without my authorization, but you also have the audacity to install the Google Chrome Browser without my permission and made it the default browser.!

You are supposed to be an SECURITY company! What right do you have to install any other software on MY system besides an upgrade to your own program which I gave you authorization to do?

I immediately did a System Restore to undo what you did only to find that my licence to the restored Avast version 7 has been drastically reduced, from (approximately) 1 year to only 10 days... (which then increased to 29 days after pressing the button again.) My registration no longer shows and when I try to re-register the only option I have is to pay for the upgrade. I have been using the FREE version and will not pay for an upgrade. If this software is no longer FREE, I will use another product.

This computer is custom built and less than 3 weeks old. Avast was the first software I installed and nothing goes on this machine without my consent. I am speechless. I am astounded. I cannot even begin to understand why a company with your reputation would suddenly resort to such underhanded and shady ways of intruding upon the millions of people that until now have relied upon your integrity.

I do not want your version 8 - I do not like the interface.
I do not want Google Chrome - and I'm sick of it being thrown in my face on so many websites.
I do not want the Google ToolBar - I'm quite capable of installing it myself if I choose to do so!
I do want to re-activate the restored version 7 which gives me almost a year to find a more trustworthy Anti-Virus software.

I use Internet Explorer and Firefox. What part of "This is MY choice on MY computer is so hard for people to accept?"

Southern Man

« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2013, 04:40:16 PM »
I just updated to new version Avast 8 no problems windows xp sp3,nice clean interface but only GUI all in WHITE?,any chance of some colur skins later on?,seems easy to use,yes seems everyone jumping on the windows 8 bandwagon format which i dislike along with many other worldwide people just look at the blogs,why windows done that who knows?.
Anyway  i can say personally with avast i can live with it as it is just the HOMEPAGE with a big SECURED which i do like,positives....great AV program tops as usual will stay loyal for many years to come well done avast team and thanks keeping my pc secure!.

Southern Man

VicVegas

« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
After Windows is up and running I then discover that you have not only installed the Google ToolBar into Internet Explorer without my authorization, but you also have the audacity to install the Google Chrome Browser without my permission and made it the default browser.!
What? I'm sorry but I don't see any such thing happening here... I mean I'm pretty sure I remember that the avast installer offers the choice, but you can opt out if you want. Perhaps you just missed it? :-\

I immediately did a System Restore
Why would you do that over Google products? The toolbar can easily be removed and you could just ignore Google Chrome's installation. Overreaction much? ???

I use Internet Explorer and Firefox. What part of "This is MY choice on MY computer is so hard for people to accept?"
Kinda have to agree here. I really hate all this extra junk that gets offered with so much software. Granted I'm sure more than 50% of Avast!'s users are free users, so without these offers inside their programs, Avast would have difficulties staying afloat. :(

As for the new interface. I have to agree that it is way too bright and needs a little more contrast. Seriously, my first reaction to seeing it was "woah my eyes!". Beyond that, I enjoy the new features. The software updater, while not perfect, will certainly do away with much of the future hassle I have with updating essential programs like Flash and Java.

Keep up the good work Avast! team.  ;D

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2013, 04:38:26 AM »
WTF? I hardly ever fill out surveys but, decided to do yours while the software was updating. We all hate drive-by downloads, and websites and software that install nefarious toolbars etc. on our systems without permission to do so. Your survey was mainly dealing with this issue. So after your update installs, it asks me to reboot. After Windows is up and running I then discover that you have not only installed the Google ToolBar into Internet Explorer without my authorization, but you also have the audacity to install the Google Chrome Browser without my permission and made it the default browser.!

You are supposed to be an SECURITY company! What right do you have to install any other software on MY system besides an upgrade to your own program which I gave you authorization to do?

I immediately did a System Restore to undo what you did only to find that my licence to the restored Avast version 7 has been drastically reduced, from (approximately) 1 year to only 10 days... (which then increased to 29 days after pressing the button again.) My registration no longer shows and when I try to re-register the only option I have is to pay for the upgrade. I have been using the FREE version and will not pay for an upgrade. If this software is no longer FREE, I will use another product.

This computer is custom built and less than 3 weeks old. Avast was the first software I installed and nothing goes on this machine without my consent. I am speechless. I am astounded. I cannot even begin to understand why a company with your reputation would suddenly resort to such underhanded and shady ways of intruding upon the millions of people that until now have relied upon your integrity.

I do not want your version 8 - I do not like the interface.
I do not want Google Chrome - and I'm sick of it being thrown in my face on so many websites.
I do not want the Google ToolBar - I'm quite capable of installing it myself if I choose to do so!
I do want to re-activate the restored version 7 which gives me almost a year to find a more trustworthy Anti-Virus software.

Demand your money back!!!
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

jenkinsa

« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
Thankyou Avast.  I have been trying to get rid of 'funmoods' for ages.

true indian

« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2013, 01:17:54 PM »
Thankyou Avast.  I have been trying to get rid of 'funmoods' for ages.

Another avast! newbie...Welcome!  ;D

GodSponge

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »
I like everything about version 8 except that now it breaks all of my email client connections. When I have mail shield running I get a certificate error whenever the client tries to grab new mail. I either have to disable mail shield or connect to my email accounts without encryption to prevent the error.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Avast8 can now (by all accounts, excuse unintended pun) handle the SSL emails without having to modify your email settings in your email program.

If you previously had avast 7 you will have needed to change your email program, account settings to allow avast to scan SSL email, these changes need to be reversed, e.g set back to the SSL ports and Authentication.

Delete the entries for your email accounts in the avast Mail Shield, Settings, SSL Accounts.

Also see - ssl eror unable to get local issuer certificate -
Hello,
check if you have the avast certificate in Thunderbird, see
https://feedback.avast.com/responses/mail-shield-related-ssl-eror-unable-to-get-local-issuer-certificate

If you accepted some certificates after being alerted by Thunderbird, go to the Servers tab in their Certificate Manager and delete those below the 'avast! Mail Scanner Root'.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

forestlass

« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
I'm having same prob using XP SP3 with 8... blocks ALL websites as malicious.  Now have 8 turned off just to get my email, etc... so 8 is useless for me.

How do I revert back to vers. 7?

J.Stalin

« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Where is the "I really like the new v8, but don't like my desktop to look as a silly telephone" vote in the poll?  ::)

true indian

« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
I'm having same prob using XP SP3 with 8... blocks ALL websites as malicious.  Now have 8 turned off just to get my email, etc... so 8 is useless for me.

How do I revert back to vers. 7?

please make a thread in viruses and worms section of this forum it looks like you are infected...

avast v7: http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

ddalbiez

« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »
@trueindian
You are still on Avast 7?