Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233688 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #375 on: April 14, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »
Yes, but you are saying it is offering you a later version of avast 7, which would be wrong, we have seen it offer 7.0.1483 and there is no such version as this figure is a mish mash of avast 7.0 and avast 8.0.1483.

That is why I asked about your version and the one offered.

If this needs to be continued, it should be done in its own new topic as it isn't related to the topic here and will get buried in this massive topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

roger.pman

« Reply #376 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
Avast`s version 8 is good so far.

Yesterday I updated it to the latest Beta version 8.0.1485 and one annoying thing I have found is that unless the Software Updater is disabled when I log into my computer there is a second login icon labelled Avast Software Updater installed on the desktop.
I tried this but the password is ??? so had to reboot and use my usual login.

How can I remove Avast`s login icon from my desktop but still enable the Software Updater?
This is a retrograde step over version 8.0.1483.

roger.pman

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #377 on: April 14, 2013, 04:48:40 PM »
Avast`s version 8 is good so far.

Yesterday I updated it to the latest Beta version 8.0.1485 and one annoying thing I have found is that unless the Software Updater is disabled when I log into my computer there is a second login icon labelled Avast Software Updater installed on the desktop.
I tried this but the password is ??? so had to reboot and use my usual login.

How can I remove Avast`s login icon from my desktop but still enable the Software Updater?
This is a retrograde step over version 8.0.1483.

roger.pman
From what I've read, you can't. If you want the Software Updater feature, than the account Avast sets up for that purpose needs to be there.
The password is controlled by the program most likely for security purposes.
(I personally still haven't seen this mystery account on my Windows 8 Pro 64 bit system.)
Hopefully someone from Avast can shed some light on this.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

roger.pman

« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2013, 05:01:34 PM »
Bob,

Many thanks for your reply.

However, the 1483 version didn`t have this anomaly and the Software Updater was active without the silly Avast login icon being on the desktop at bootup.

Perhaps Avast will take note and revert back to how it was for the Updater, which was much better.

roger.pman

macgeek

« Reply #379 on: April 14, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »
I like it but the interface is confusing for new users... takes some time to learn where to find things, to navigate, how to change settings, where to find the settings, etc.

main screen that reminds me of windows 8 with big buttons, which is fine. easy to use.

then you have: a home button, security, maintenance, market, recommend, support, account and settings... little overwhelming to an IT guy like myself, but really confusing/intimidating to new users I would think.

my thoughts anyway I could be wrong.

spede1

« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2013, 02:44:07 AM »
I've had an Avast! subscription for around 5 years, never used it though because of the interface.

Avast! 8 Internet Security is a good improvement over previous versions and makes the program almost usable.

My suggestions would be to have a different color scheme and change the desktop icon, looks like a bird visited my computer.

But all in all, version 8 is a vast improvement.  thank you.

Scooty

« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »
I will not continue to use Avast for my personal computer. There is one annoyance that is too much for me to overcome. The Software Updater assumes that the user does not already have such a tool. There is no way to permantently disable this "feature" which does not give accurate results. I can stop the service only as long as I don't reboot. I am reminded after each reboot that this service doesn't work so well. It continues to remind me about updates that I have already installed. I will continue to recommend this product to people who don't usually run a software updater, as they need a constant reminder to do their updates.

I recommend that you add an expert mode or something akin to it for advanced users.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »
Then remove it or having done a custom install as an advanced user don't install it. With over 180 million users, the defaults will always air on the side of the average user. The new beta build has a means of permanently disabling, until that is released as a regular program update then removal is the only way.

Control Panel > add remove programs/programs & features > avast! Uninstall > when the new window opens select Change and click the Next button, uncheck the Software Updater option and OK your way out. You may need to reboot after this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Pharral

« Reply #383 on: April 22, 2013, 06:23:33 AM »
The new avast 8 is ...dare i say it........BAD!!!

Ive used AVAST for years and with the new V8 i cannot scan individual files in the seconds it took before...for some reason it scans EVERYTHING on my computer when i right click on the individual file and select "scan flash.exe" for ex...its a 990kb file and it just continues to scna my whole comp.  The only way around i found is to scan the whole folder within the Avast program itself. This is completely inconvenient. If there is something im missing, please post a reply, other wise give me V7 back and ill gladly take it!!!!!!

Love the program, but this is def a serious glitch that needs to be addressed ASAP!!!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #384 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »
The new avast 8 is ...dare i say it........BAD!!!

Ive used AVAST for years and with the new V8 i cannot scan individual files in the seconds it took before...for some reason it scans EVERYTHING on my computer when i right click on the individual file and select "scan flash.exe" for ex...its a 990kb file and it just continues to scna my whole comp.  The only way around i found is to scan the whole folder within the Avast program itself. This is completely inconvenient. If there is something im missing, please post a reply, other wise give me V7 back and ill gladly take it!!!!!!

Love the program, but this is def a serious glitch that needs to be addressed ASAP!!!
I may not have flash.exe on my system but scanning a file scans one file not the entire computer:

http://youtu.be/yDcV5qn2C4g

Try a repair of avast or a clean install if you get anything different.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Theblob

« Reply #385 on: April 23, 2013, 01:59:46 AM »
didn't vote (no appropriate option)

in short: great potential ruined by plenty of serious bugs

jebova2301

« Reply #386 on: April 23, 2013, 06:29:31 AM »
great potential ruined by plenty of serious bugs

I thought the exact same thing. I wish they would make it where you could bring back the user interfaces from the previous versions. I REALLY liked the avast 4 and 4.8, then 5, 6, and 7 were fair, but 8 is just awful looking in my opinion. Any way you can release different skins to give it a better look? Not to mention, I was NOT happy about the upgrade from 7 not having the option to remove some of the crap it installed. Then the CONSTANT notifications. I never noticed those in 7. Only after I installed the upgrade to 8. After I installed it, I was doing a MASSIVE project on my computer that I didn't really want to take a break from. Having the notification jump up like a jack russell f***ing terrier was annoying as could be. every few hours. Then the software updater that I couldn't remove from the GUI for avast 8 do the same thing in the bottom of my screen was VERY annoying. Now I have to try removing it from control panel and HOPE that actually removes it.

There are so many bugs it is about to make me want to just ditch it entirely. I really feel that is a shame, because the antivirus works VERY well. I have even recommended it to many of my friends. But, being in the IT industry, I don't want a nanny sitting here telling me when my stuff is out of date. It is a nuisance to have it pop up all the time. You would think turning it off in the GUI would turn it off for good, but that only turns it off until you reboot.

I really hope they do a decent overhaul of all the features they added, because it feels to me like they had something that worked great, and then they decided to "fix" it, and broke it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or, wouldn't it at least be possible to make it where the old software can run the newer definitions? I am not sure how it is coded, but it seems to me that it would be a possibility. Or could a simple patch be made so that the definitions can stay up to date, but you just wouldn't have some of the new features of the latest version? I would LOVE to be able to run it from the older setup. They just felt so much better. I don't care if it means I don't have the latest internet security stuff. I originally wanted avast for an antivirus, because it was free. That is still the only thing I really want it for. I don't want it to be all these other things. I think you would REALLY make a lot of users happy if you made it where the older layouts could run with the newer definitions. I know I would be referring A LOT more people to your program. I can say that a few of them have been unhappy with the more recent changes, as a couple of my friends who were using the paid versions have said they will not be renewing it anymore because they were unhappy with all the changes.

Sorry it was a long post. Instead of my two cents, you can say it was my ten cents.

Theblob

« Reply #387 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »
great potential ruined by plenty of serious bugs

I thought the exact same thing. I wish they would make it where you could bring back the user interfaces from the previous versions. I REALLY liked the avast 4 and 4.8, then 5, 6, and 7 were fair, but 8 is just awful looking in my opinion. Any way you can release different skins to give it a better look? Not to mention, I was NOT happy about the upgrade from 7 not having the option to remove some of the crap it installed. Then the CONSTANT notifications. I never noticed those in 7. Only after I installed the upgrade to 8. After I installed it, I was doing a MASSIVE project on my computer that I didn't really want to take a break from. Having the notification jump up like a jack russell f***ing terrier was annoying as could be. every few hours. Then the software updater that I couldn't remove from the GUI for avast 8 do the same thing in the bottom of my screen was VERY annoying. Now I have to try removing it from control panel and HOPE that actually removes it.

There are so many bugs it is about to make me want to just ditch it entirely. I really feel that is a shame, because the antivirus works VERY well. I have even recommended it to many of my friends. But, being in the IT industry, I don't want a nanny sitting here telling me when my stuff is out of date. It is a nuisance to have it pop up all the time. You would think turning it off in the GUI would turn it off for good, but that only turns it off until you reboot.

I really hope they do a decent overhaul of all the features they added, because it feels to me like they had something that worked great, and then they decided to "fix" it, and broke it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or, wouldn't it at least be possible to make it where the old software can run the newer definitions? I am not sure how it is coded, but it seems to me that it would be a possibility. Or could a simple patch be made so that the definitions can stay up to date, but you just wouldn't have some of the new features of the latest version? I would LOVE to be able to run it from the older setup. They just felt so much better. I don't care if it means I don't have the latest internet security stuff. I originally wanted avast for an antivirus, because it was free. That is still the only thing I really want it for. I don't want it to be all these other things. I think you would REALLY make a lot of users happy if you made it where the older layouts could run with the newer definitions. I know I would be referring A LOT more people to your program. I can say that a few of them have been unhappy with the more recent changes, as a couple of my friends who were using the paid versions have said they will not be renewing it anymore because they were unhappy with all the changes.

Sorry it was a long post. Instead of my two cents, you can say it was my ten cents.
if only that was it, but there are far more serious bugs (as in, ones that actually hog down the system. at least 2 such bugs with file shield settings, more on that later I'll make a dedicated topic for these)

lovie5689

« Reply #388 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »
when I updated to the new avast! 8 version my subscription ended, i should have my subscription until October 2013. How to go about this? Anyone there who knows what to do?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:46:29 AM by lovie5689 »

Offline Biox

Really unhappy with Avast at the moment
« Reply #389 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
I have been using Avast for years and apart from a couple of hickups along the way it was mostly a decent experience.

I have just spent a day and a half trying to get my email client running again after installing v8    >:(

Currently I am unable to access my Hotmail accounts. Others now seems to be Ok though. Whatever I try I cannot connect to Hotmail.

Another thing I noticed was that without Avast activated, web page browsing was noticeably faster. Hotmail access was Ok with Avast disabled. Yes I have tried the troubleshooting section but no luck.

Everything was working fine on an oler v7 before I installed v8 which is damn annoying. Also I then tried the "clean" app and immediately after that started getting a "blue screen" after logging in. I had to revert to a previous backup point. Not good.

I am now installing Avira to see if this is a better option. I think avast has really screwed up this time. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:21:09 AM by Biox »