Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233694 times)

Offline Coyote76

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »
I also agree that the GUI of the home screen looks a little bit childish. I can see that it is close to look like the Metro Win8 style, but I think that it's not very professional. Why to do this anyway, seen the lack of popularity of the Win8 OS?

I have a question about the settings: in the support settings you can choose: "Protect package with a password", but this is completely in a different menu than the Password-settings itself. What is the function of "Protect package with a password"?

I also would like to see that you can turn off the Software updater permanently.

Turboman

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
I just hope it performs better than it looks, because it really looks c**p. I suppose aesthetics aren't as important as functionality, but it looks like the GUI has been designed at play school by a 3 year old!! 
Just have to get used to it I suppose.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
I want firewall for free version.

Don't want much do you, there have to be differences in the free and paid versions or why would people buy the Pro or AIS versions.

I want only home users.

Doesn't matter home user or not there are many home users with the Pro and AIS versions and no doubt the Premier versions also. The differences have to be there avast is a business and they have to have a revenue to pay for employees, development, etc. etc. The programmers have to eat too.

I'm grateful they they have a been generous to have a free version as good as it is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

murmatron

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
I think that radically changing a user interface that is primarily used for configuration is bordering on insanity.

There are no compelling ergonomic or work-flow arguments for the changes - it seems to be purely gratuitous.  Familiarity is of utmost importance with a product
like this, but my first reaction with the new interface was "I'm probably missing something; this probably isn't configured the way I want it".

Also, the Software Scan feature was confusing.  I have no interest in this whatsoever since I already use Secunia PSI, but I couldn't determine if the Avast Software Scan was going to regularly thrash my disk and interrupt what I'm doing. A big obvious Off button would have been nice.

The easy option was to do a system restore to v7 since I don't have the time or inclination to relearn another new interface for no good reason.

Hopefully the engine and signature updates will continue to work with v7 for the foreseeable future.

ganon

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
It seems that features have been removed from the free version............

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »

Which features do you mean..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »

What features have been removed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline A. User

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 02:03:44 PM »
The GUI never mind for me. It's a very good antivirus.
 :) :) :)

MaxReed

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 02:06:28 PM »
In the final release there still the blurry fonts problem!!!
Another thing i'm noticing is a continuous freezing of my system during p2p sharing...avast is controlling all file both in p2p shield both in the file system shield...is this a normal things??

Dexy86

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
Not so great !!!
Installed few minutes ago and already found a bug.
Its not a big bug for ordinary users but users who would use this tool it is mayor, because it
crashes your protection (AVAST!).
I have IS 8 and when i go to MAINTENANCE -> Remote Assistance
and try to connect on the other computer if the other computer had not allowed me on time
(if your firewall settings are set to ask you every connection) and my AVAST crashed
here is the pic
after that iam not shure if avast is protecting me, so i had to restart my computer.

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »

What features have been removed ?

Where is feature Auto Sandbox?  I only got Čistilnik Brskalnika,Blokada spletnih strani/Starševski nadzor,Dostop od Koderkoli (DoK)

Thank you.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
Where is feature Auto Sandbox?  I only got Čistilnik Brskalnika,Blokada spletnih strani/Starševski nadzor,Dostop od Koderkoli (DoK)

Thank you.
The auto Sandbox is in the File System Shield settings where it has always been.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »

Thank you.
The auto Sandbox is in the File System Shield settings where it has always been.

Not entirely correct, it did have its own little spot, but when you clicked on its settings you were taken into the File System Shield settings at the AutoSandbox part.

user_1000

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »
I must say that I really hate that white background. White background with bright colors. Congratulations. :o

Avast 8 Free should have a same GUI than a paid versions.

fardeen

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
i would have prefered the black background interface instead of the white