Poll

As we have just released our new major version (V8), we would love to hear your feedback. So, how did we do?

It's great. I love it.
191 (28.4%)
So far so good. It is an improvement over V7 but we will see.
165 (24.5%)
About the same as V7
50 (7.4%)
I don't like the new version. Where can I get the download links for V7?
167 (24.8%)
It's rubbish.
100 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?  (Read 233676 times)

coolbuy

Re: Poll: How do you like Avast V8?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
Hi,

I just created this account just to say "KUDOS TO THE TEAM WHICH IS BEHIND AVAST 8.0)

i am back to avast after an long relationship with MSE. I was a fan of avast from version 4.0.. but from version 6.xx avast became bloated and slow.. but avast 8 is AWESOME. i like it.

Please keep the future version light like this one.. and one more thing i like to appreciate the team is about the ability for customization. I have the freedom to  install the shields that i want.. yes, this is a feature thats there from a long time.. and i really appreciate it.

Thanks you for making it better.

kwil

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
It's NOT an improvement on the previous....Creates problems with Win7 which were never there before.
Looks to me like Avast has been blinded by the godawful Win8...Avast too much in thral to Microsoft, I fear!
After many moons with Avast, now looking at installing different AV...

Davy

« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2013, 08:37:36 PM »
Don't care the the GUI either, much prefer the other style.

Dave

jasqid

« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »
I like the look. Tons better than 7. But I have had too many issues on the PCs I upgraded. BSOD on one, green flash/youtube video on another. I found the aswVmm.sys file replacement trick to fix the green web videos... thanks for that.

But I have a feeling no one should have to do that with production software.

TMAnonAnon

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
I would not have updated if I knew the Avast update was just a Win8 window dressing.
This is junk, I clicked scan and it brought me to a real gui but then it starts some unwanted quick scan.
I never use quick scan.

New front gui is not informative, and less then helpful now.

HDW38

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »
Hi!
I upgraded 4 machines (W7 + XP) to 'avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1482' + my laptop (please have a look at my signature).

So I have a wish: Please be so kind and don't develop avast! to a size, which can't be handle by older systems or machines, for right now we have problems enough with those, who are still using 'Windows 2000' .

BTW.: Everything is running fine.  :)
(beta-testing on 2 systems)

HDW

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2013, 11:09:10 PM »
I would not have updated if I knew the Avast update was just a Win8 window dressing.
This is junk, I clicked scan and it brought me to a real gui but then it starts some unwanted quick scan.
I never use quick scan.

New front gui is not informative, and less then helpful now.

The Home screen is just to access the main settings:
Just click the Security Tab in the metro'esk screen and you will get your warm security blanket back with more useful information.

All of the avast innards can be accessed through the Security, Maintenance, Support and Settings options.

Then change what is set as the Default scan in the Security, Antivirus section to the one you want, that would fire off if you click the Scan Tile.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SME

« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »
All looks good - But seems to be pushing product (I Paid for Pro already (No Ads?) - and couldn't find a upgrade path / or price from Pro to Premier anyway). I moved away from Facebook and Google for a reason, if people want to tick your FB 'I Like' let them do it in FB.

Under the hood i'm sure it's the same but a recompile with a new FB / AD / Google GUI.

Having said all that, there was a real reason I purchased this product, and was the excellence of Sandbox and SafeBrowser.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2013, 02:50:34 AM »
One word WOW!...

Nothing to say... It is awesome.

Thank,
Mr.Agent

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2013, 03:22:45 AM »
So far so good ... :)

I will say I love it, when I can upgrade my AIS licence to an AP licence for a reasonable fee ;)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

iroc9555

« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2013, 03:48:44 AM »
I like it so far. The installment went smooth. Scans are faster than version 7. I still do not get a grasp for the firewall. I guess too many years running Comodo. Some fonts are not well defined, blured or may be I need new glasses  ;D

I will run AIS for a while to get some screnshots for helping in the Spanish Forum but eventually I will retun to Avast! 8 free that is ALL WHITE  >:(. May be I like my Comodo and Sandboxie after all.

All dogs don't learn how to bark anyways  ;D

GOOD job Avast! team  ;)

aubeachbum

« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
I have no picture in Windows Media CENTRE since updating fro Avast Pro 7 to Avast Pro 8.

In live TV still have sound but NO PICTURE....NO FUN !!!

Picture back & OK when I revert to Avast 7.

I am tempted to revert to AVG......but have paid for many months more of AVAST !!

BTW.....Avast 8 does not even appear to be an option in your drop down above !!! (On Technical Support form).

Harikrishnan

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
Like everything except the GUI for avast! Free...white background is too ugly...why avast! put this color discrimination between free & pro that never occur before.... :-[

drummerman

« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
If I could make one eetzy weetzy tiny 'criticism' it would be that the notification pop-up windows have grown in size and seem a little intrusive. On the other hand, that is probably their purpose and its no big deal.

regards

Offline catinahat

« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2013, 10:15:06 AM »
Just installed v. 8 over v. 7 via the GUI and it went very smoothly.

Impressions so far are very good! I'm not a fan of the new Windows 8 look with the big coloured squares, but the appearance of a programme is really not of concern to me, and I can see it will blend in with Win 8 really well. The new layout of the GUI will take some getting used to to know where to find everything automatically, but I think once I'm used to it it'll be fine. I really like the "current status" window under the "security" tab. It's better than the pie graph. Just one question about the "maintenance" tab - will there be an easy way to see if your programme version is out of date like on version 7? That used to show it in orange instead of green (or something like that - I've forgotten already!) when a new version was available.

It wasn't very obvious that the "safezone" and "firewall" are not available for the free version until I did some searching here on the forum, as I have the free version both show in the home tab of the GUI as one of those square things. I see is says "activate now" above both, but it isn't clear that this is only if you are wanting to upgrade your version to a paid version. If I were to press the firewall square, would this automatically download the paid version of avast? (Please note I'm NOT complaining that these features are paid only!! Just that it is confusing to have them there in my free version home page when they are not part of the free programme).

Also after reading the other thread on v. 8 here on the forum I'd just like to feed back that I am running a laptop with an AMD processor and have had no issue at all playing videos or running any flash content that I can tell so far, so the issue in the threads can't affect every AMD machine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:17:10 AM by catinahat »