Author Topic: function ''usiGetSkin"failed  (Read 35341 times)

Germanium202

Re:function ''usiGetSkin"failed
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 02:11:45 AM »
Hi Germanium202,

you have told us that you do not understand avast!, you do not use Windows, etc. so please STOP flooding this forum with nonsense contributions. This forum is not Chat forum, it is the support forum for particular program (avast!) which you have never used.

If you have nothing to say to the particular Subject, please stay silent - just don't say anything. If you want to say something just to one user, use Personal Messaging.

PS: I am starting to be really tired with all stuff you just throw at us during last 2 days: your many times mentioned 10-20 years of experience, your expression about all women loving you et cetera. Please don't be off topic any more!!

Pavel

How about the members stop lying about their experience instead, or, does that not matter, that i am truthful and he is lying his ass off does not matter as long as he praises avast?

I tried to lighten up the mood of the posters with an ot reference and a smiley, perhaps you should disable smileys in this forum, sorry about that, from now on i will be serious in all posts.

So, eddy, you removed your post where you said you have more than 20+ years of experience, in what, i ask?

Germanium202

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 02:15:39 AM »
Dtb, sorry if I did not help at the first time, but, after all posts here, can you see if your problem could be corrected by setting the storage method in the Avast ini file?

Find the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\avast4.ini
Open it and scroll down until you see the ODBC line usually under the heading [Common].  Change the Database=ODBC to read Database=XML

Can you post the results?

Just for fun, why on earth would the original option be one that is so extremely far off? (besides, lf you have an ODBC source, a better alternative is to tie the ODBC  database to the correct one if you aren't in a need to something specific, that way the format can adjust in any way as long as it uses an ODBC driver?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 02:16:30 AM »
How about the members stop lying about their experience instead, or, does that not matter, that i am truthful and he is lying his ass off does not matter as long as he praises avast?

I never lie. Don't call me a lier or any other avast forum member as you don't know them and their experience.

I tried to lighten up the mood of the posters with an ot reference and a smiley, perhaps you should disable smileys in this forum, sorry about that, from now on i will be serious in all posts.

Pavel has his rights to say you that. You're not reading the forum policy.
Serious is not the same as the language you start using.
Again, you don't know avast, you won't use it. Please, don't flood this forum with your bitterness.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 02:19:13 AM »
Just for fun

I'm not joking here.
This is not a chat.
I won't answer you questions or try to help you.
I - and thousands of other avast users - will try to ignore you as far as I can.
I'm in this thread to help Dtb  :( >:(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 02:23:50 AM »
Why don't you calm down everybody ? ...one more time  ::)

Btw, Technical, he meant on Eddy... Eddy erased one of his posts from some other thread, not you... so he was refering to Eddy in his previous post. Just to clear that one...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 02:28:44 AM »

I'm not seing cooperation from the other side, just this.
If he's calling Eddy a lier is the same as calling me: we're a band of brothers, remember?  :P

Germanium202

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 02:30:25 AM »

I never lie. Don't call me a lier or any other avast forum member as you don't know them and their experience.

Pavel has his rights to say you that. You're not reading the forum policy.
Serious is not the same as the language you start using.
Again, you don't know avast, you won't use it. Please, don't flood this forum with your bitterness.

I don't get what you are saying, can you say it in English, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian or Spanish please? (not that i understand spanish, at all but it can't be worse.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2004, 02:34:15 AM »
Mode switch on: Ignore

Germanium202

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2004, 02:36:40 AM »

I'm not seing cooperation from the other side, just this.
If he's calling Eddy a lier is the same as calling me: we're a band of brothers, remember?  :P

I am not calling Eddy anything, he said he has more than 20 years of experience in the computer security sections, if he does i know him by name, i want to know what he contributed to in the last 20 years.

If you would let Eddy, the +20 year veteran answer for himself instead, all would be good.

dtb

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004, 05:44:14 AM »
Thanks for everyone's input.  I have done the following to no avail:

1.   Entered this string into the run command
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
2.  Did repair/boot and also reinstalled/boot
3.  Installed MDAC drivers and JET drivers
4.  Looked in avast4.ini--and it already had Database=XML

I still get the usiGetSkin error message.  Not sure what else to try.  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2004, 10:55:51 AM »
dtb, you didn't tell us what OS you were using.
One more question: After running the Regsvr32 program in step 1., did you get a response? Like "operation succeeded" or something? I've seen a couple of systems where regsvr32 was actually broken (most likely overwritten by another program) and did not work.

Germanium, have you ever heard of things like off-topic postings? I'd recommend reading your contributions in this thread one more time. Sorry to say that, they did not bring ANYTHING to the original poster neither they were related in any way to his question.

I'd call myself someone who tries to understand people who don't quite feel comfortable with the avast fanatism some of our forum users are showing but in your case I really don't see your point. I just don't get it... :-\

Appearently, you're having fun (why else would you spend so much time here and write 100 or so posts) but what else? Don't you realise that your behavior pisses people around you off? Are you like this even in real life??? :(

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2004, 03:57:31 PM »
I think he said he is using Windows 98... see here:

Actually I did these things several times--all evening.  And I know that Avast works on 98--I have used it on other 98 computers but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working on this one.  Any other suggestions?

Btw,
I'd call myself someone who tries to understand people who don't quite feel comfortable with the avast fanatism some of our forum users are showing...

Who are those guys ? I personaly don't know anybody that acts like that. There are 3 groups... First one is those who came in here just to blame it, second one contains people that like avast!, and the third one those who likes it so much that they spend their free time helping people if they can... no fanatism at all.

Anyway, let's help this guy with his problem, I don't wanna start second off-topic in this same thread... it's enough.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 04:02:07 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2004, 04:10:40 PM »
dtb,

I'm not giving up. Is this Win98 or Win98se?
Have you tried to replace regserv32 with the original one from the Windows cd?
Is this a preinstalled Windows?
Any error(s) (even a small one) in device manager?
Do you have any pcmci cards or other add-ons on the system?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2004, 06:22:15 PM »
I'd call myself someone who tries to understand people who don't quite feel comfortable with the avast fanatism some of our forum users are showing but in your case I really don't see your point. I just don't get it... :-\

Vlk, we are not fanatic.
avast has errors, bugs, can be improved, support always could be better, improve, etc. like any other software.

We all recognize this. Where is the fanatism?
Did you try to use other antivirus?
We tried... we fell comfortable with avast but seems you don't  ??? ::)

dtb

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2004, 11:04:02 PM »
I am using W 98....first edition.  
I get the following after I do step one:
LoadLibrary ("ACTSKIN4.0CX") FAILED.  GetLastError returns 0x00000485
I have not tried to replace regserv32---not sure how to do that.  
It is preinstalled windows.  
I don't know how to tell if there is an error in the device manager.  
The only add on I would have would be my network card.
Thanks again to everyone who is trying to help--it is much appreciated.  :)