Author Topic: New program update blocks my access to my usenet provider, why?  (Read 6906 times)

HomersDK

New program update blocks my access to my usenet provider, why?
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
I just upgraded the Avast Internet Security to latest version with new GUI, but now i cannot connect to my usenet provider.
If I turn Avast off, then it works. Cannot figure out, what to do.
Connecting to usenet with SSL connection.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: New program update blocks my access to my usenet provider, why?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Try a repair. Control Panel>Programs and Features>Uninstall>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot
If that fails try a clean install from safe mode using aswclear from http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=115915.msg900623#msg900623
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

HomersDK

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
Hello.

I turned the SSL scanning off under Mail shield and I can connect again.

Thanks anyway.

Offline TweakSS

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »
Hello.

I turned the SSL scanning off under Mail shield and I can connect again.

Thanks anyway.

I just wished to say I appreciate your returning to post that your issue was resolved. I had the same problem and came here looking for a solution, in ver 7 there was no issue but now with ver 8 unless unchecked I too found I was blocked, hope there will eventually be a way to resolve this without the need to completely disable the setting. I will look around for options but for now at least I'm just glad it was a simple workaround.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
Hello,
what news reader do you use and what is the error message?

Offline TweakSS

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
Hello,
what news reader do you use and what is the error message?

Newsleecher simply attempts to connect and retries without success, un-check the box and instantly as it retries it makes a successful connection. If it helps it uses secure.usenetserver.com, port 563, with SSL enabled.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
Has newsleecher previously worked with avast ?

I don't know if this might be related to issues with newsleecher and avast from before - The supersearch uses a protocol other than NNTP on port 119 and that is a problem for the mail scanner. The workaround is the option "Use alt. supersearch port" in NewsLeecher options or to put the address 70.86.176.98 to the AvastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting, Redirect Settings, Mail, ignored addresses. Note: there may have been a change to the IP address, if that one doesn't work, try this one, 174.37.197.132 (or you will have to identify what it is using currently).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TweakSS

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
Has newsleecher previously worked with avast ?

I don't know if this might be related to issues with newsleecher and avast from before - The supersearch uses a protocol other than NNTP on port 119 and that is a problem for the mail scanner. The workaround is the option "Use alt. supersearch port" in NewsLeecher options or to put the address 70.86.176.98 to the AvastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting, Redirect Settings, Mail, ignored addresses. Note: there may have been a change to the IP address, if that one doesn't work, try this one, 174.37.197.132 (or you will have to identify what it is using currently).

***Found a solution***
If you do as DavidR states and go into the Ignored Addresses section and add the following IP address (for usenetserver in my case) even when the SSL Scanning is checked in the Mail section it connects just fine.
The IP to add for usenetserver is as follows: 74.209.131.10

Thanks David for pointing me in the right direction.

FYI...
Newsleecher worked perfectly, updated to ver 8, reboot the system, Newsleecher unable to connect until you disable the Mail related setting as described earlier. It is without a doubt Avast in that they did make a change in ver8 related to SSL scanning, but it is under the Mail Shield and I was not seeing a way to make Newsleecher an exception. I do not use any of the built-in search features within the program.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
You're welcome.

Though in doing so you are aware that the Usenet content isn't scanned, so beware of any attachments, don't open within newsleecher, etc. save to disk and scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline TweakSS

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
You're welcome.

Though in doing so you are aware that the Usenet content isn't scanned, so beware of any attachments, don't open within newsleecher, etc. save to disk and scan.

Always do, also a creature of habit so to speak and am already careful with what is downloaded, tends to be the same thing for me so generally I know what to expect once the download is completed. ;)
Thanks again, hope the other guy sees this information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.