Author Topic: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final  (Read 72071 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:29 AM »
@ XeniTank
I would suggest that you try a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1482 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe (see #### below) and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0 once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

####
- The current avast uninstall Utility aswclear.exe doesn't include avast8 until that is updated use this for avast8 http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe.

@@@@
Ensure that you remove all remnants of avira also:
- Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hikuro

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 03:34:20 AM »
Same problem here.

I just system restored to a week prior and it fixed it, but now it won't even let me update to version 8. I download it and restart and it stays stuck on 7.

Hopefully they will fix this.

Thought my computer was toast this morning.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:38:29 AM by Hikuro »

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »
funnily the srcript shield stopped working since the last VPS update
Any Vista 64 user having this issue too?

Hopefully there will be an update soon.....

Greets
S@uDepp

Windows XP: Click Start> Control Panel> Programs> avast> Repair

Windows Vista / Windows 7: Click Start> Control Panel> Programs> Programs and Features> avast> Repair

...not necessary....VPS update today --> ScriptShield works as it is supposed to...

@others: did anybody try DavidR´s solution yet?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:33:45 AM by S@uDepp »

XeniTank

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »
@ XeniTank
I would suggest that you try a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1482 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe (see #### below) and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0 once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

####
- The current avast uninstall Utility aswclear.exe doesn't include avast8 until that is updated use this for avast8 http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe.

@@@@
Ensure that you remove all remnants of avira also:
- Uninstall possible remnants of previously installed AVs see, http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/, this has a collection of manufactures removal tools, so that should remove any remnants, registry, etc.

Is the avast standard uninstaller not enough? I already tested it with aswclear.exe and etc. It won't run on vista 64 bit. Pro, Internet or free it's all the same.

Is it so hard to test it on any windows version before releasing it? That is not ok! From a fee-based programs I expect a simple uninstall and install. A stable working on systems its writen it supports. But 8 doesn't do that. Why should I pay for a program that doesn't work?

What if I was a noob at computers and this would happen to me? It's poor quality! I always used avast since the version 5 I never had any problems with virus. Also many people took this software with my advice. And now I'm disappointed. It seems avast isn't serious about its business. :P

I'm sorry but I have no time for this. I'll use avast free for some of my computers but surely won't buy a avast software anymore. From a free antivirus I don't expect much but if I have to pay for it and it doesn't work I have a problem!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »
Lets put it this way if you have a corrupt installation if the regular uninstall isn't you get to do the whole thing again. It is a bit of belt an braces and hopefully not having to do it again. Not to mention the normal uninstall is dealing with the current installation. My instructions are also being run for the previous version also to ensure there are no remnants there that might get in the way.

The choice is yours.

The beta testing was longer than normal for this and problems were encountered and resolved, the problem is that the permutations of operating systems and installed software is massive and you may not cover every eventuality even in a public beta.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »
Ok - here we go....

Did a clean install like DavidR said before - same issue as mentioned -> Vista 64SP2 refuses to boot :(
So I reinstalled AVAST7 which needed connection to the internet to update itself - luckily it does NOT change the versionnumber - it updates version 7 itself only!
System running like a charm with everything back to AVAST7 (don´t forget to backup your settings at first!)

Fix very appreciated ;)

Greets
S@uDepp

XeniTank

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
The reason is Kaspersky 8)

Byebye

Hikuro

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »
Looks like they aren't gonna fix it. Time to move on then.

Thank you for protecting my computer for all these years.

temp0041

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 07:22:53 PM »
absoulutely ridiculous. none of these "fixes" work. and even if they DID, nobody should have to jump through these hoops to get a program that has ran without incident for all these years to run properly. this program will no longer be recommended to my colleagues and friends.

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »
Everybody stay calm plz!
There is no need to to get rude or to offend hard working people!

@AVAST: what kinda information could be helpful to solve this issue?

Greets & peace for everybody
S@uDepp

csave

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:20 AM »
Installed it Saturday. Exact same issue here, freezing at progress bar, had to uninstall in safemode etc.

Windows Vista Home Premium x64.

Tried everything I could think of. Repair, aswcleaner, clean install. Nothing fixed it.

Has to be a bug in it somewhere.

Also just installed it TODAY on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 but when I restarted the system, the computer ended up in an endless reboot loop. Had to remove Avast 8 from safe mode AGAIN!

I love Avast so I hope they get things working right.

csave

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 01:37:13 AM »
Installed it Saturday on a Vista Home Premium x64 system with a clean install of the Vista operating system. Exact same issue here, freezing at progress bar, had to uninstall in safemode etc. Tried everything I could think of - repair, aswcleaner, clean install. Only thing that would let the computer boot again to normal mode was to remove Avast 8 completely.

Also just installed it TODAY on a Windows 7 Home Premium x64 machine with a clean install of Windows 7 and all current updates done. Installed ok. Rebooted the computer and got stuck in an endless reboot loop. Only thing that worked again was to boot to safe mode and remove Avast.

Had to install Microsoft's Security Essentials to get buy.

Has to be buggy. Hope they get this new version fixed soon because I love Avast!

bbdeloor

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
I was too optimistic. Nothing change when i restart my computer.

Now, i will use Microsoft Security until Avast fix this problem.... quickly i hope

FTLNewsFeed

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 11:51:31 PM »
I'm having the exact same problem. I updated from Avast 7 to Avast 8 on Windows Vista Home Premium x64 and the OS freezes during the driver boot portion of startup. It first happened when I tried to do the upgrade, and I had to use the Last Known Good Startup option to get into Vista. Next I uninstalled Avast, restart, and tried a clean install, same freeze. Next I uninstalled, restarted, went into MSCONFIG.EXE and ticked "OS boot information" under the Boot tab, installed Avast 8 and restarted. Turns out here is where it gets stuck:

Loaded \Windows\System32\Drivers\aswRvrt.sys

I rebooted with the Last Known Good Startup, uninstalled Avast 8, restarted and installed Avast 7 and the computer boots normally. I also am not running ZoneAlarm, only Spybot S&D and Dropbox at startup.

Offline mbd35

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
I wonder why Avast freezes some computers and not others. I have Windows Vista 64-bit and never had any such issues with Avast.