Author Topic: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final  (Read 72080 times)

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:48:34 PM by jefferson santiag »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 03:33:26 AM »
If you are going to post email addresses (other than your own) in a public forum then please obfuscate them name (at) avast (dot) com, etc. to prevent spambot harvesting. Please modify your post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

melvinudaawl

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
Yup, I have the same issue on Vistax64 . Tried multiple clean installs before even finding this thread, glad its not me. Most annoying part was I installed other programs after the avast upgrade and assumed one of them to be the issue before I even suspected my trusty avast. The new version appeared to work fine until I rebooted and ran into the progress bar freezing.

Subscribed the thread for future updates, but a shame I had to install a different AV program after I've been very happy with Avast for years.

true indian

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »
Melvin,please try the suggestion below:

Run the uninstaller for any AV's you used prior to avast from here to remove remanents: http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot

- avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 78.4 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update. If you have avast 8, the one you want is the one for avast versions 5/6/7 it is the same for 8.

MoreThenYourAverageGuy

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Try directions above, but before trying to reinstall. Go into device manager and show hidden devices. Remove all the non plug and play devices, that are related to avast. Reboot, and then try to install avast, avast installs and does not prompt to reboot, Then start run msconfig in general tab select load system services in selective startup. Reboot again, wait for avast to load up. Then try start run msconfig again general tab select normal startup and reboot.

This is what worked for me. Hope it works for you too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:09:06 PM by MoreThenYourAverageGuy »

v64uk

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:03 AM »
Same problem here, using Vista 64 Ultimate.
None of the suggested solutions have worked.

SteveAv

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
Same problem here, using Vista 64 Ultimate.
None of the suggested solutions have worked.

I removed all the non plug and play devices, that are related to avast.
Needed to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables -> right-click the bottom box and enter the string devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices and give it number 1.
to see them.

Used aswcelar for all versions in safe mode.

I have in past unistalled and re-installed avast via control panel.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
Today I had a first response to the issue at hand.

Unfortunately again no dice.
What was written here by fellow forum-members was suggested by the staff.

If anything useful comes out of it I will cut-and-past the solution here.
Sigh... Ongoing issue now for over 2 weeks at least on a supported version.

OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline CaptainLeonidas

« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
Can anyone confirm removing the aswVmm.sys from the HDD and the registry-key for it, if they get a somewhat started Vista 64?

Some testing I did seems to piont ot this legacy driver being the lockup file during startup.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)

GPJ

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 02:21:42 AM »
I have the same issue here with my Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.
After spending hours trying to solve the problem, I installed a spare hard drive in my laptop.
Then installed a brand new installation of Windows Vista with all drivers and Vista service pack 1 and 2.

Then I installed avast free 8.0.1483. Everyone can probably guess what happened at reboot?
Windows freezes at the progress bar.

The conclusion must be: No conflicts with my other software! Avast 8 just don’t work with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

I like avast and have used avast on my PCs for years, so I'm waiting for an update that solves this problem.

CaptainLeonidas!
You are right. Just renaming the file aswvmm.sys in the folder Windows\system32\drivers, eliminates the problem. I have not made changes in the registry. What the missing driver causes of problems? No idea.
Avast team have a job to do!!

Greetings

SteveAv

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55:15 PM »
Thanks GPJ

I have also used avast for years.

Avast what should we do?
Just wait for fix?

I have installed avast 7, is avast 7 still getting new definitions?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:03:00 PM by SteveAv »

flyinga2

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »
Try disabling WINDOWS DEFENDER-that should solve the issue. I had it disabled but with a recent WINDOWS update it was restarted, and when installing AVAST 8 it started freezing at boot. After shutting down WINDOWS DEFENDER again, it solved my issue. My OS is VISTA ULTIMATE 64bit

Offline CaptainLeonidas

If your system freezes check to see if your Startup Type of the aswVMM is on Boot.
Background info:
I did some testing on different machines (Win7/Vista/XP both x86 and x64)
What was different on a failing Vista was that the Startup Type for the aswVmm legacy driver was set to Boot while others had it set to Demand.

I changed the setting on the Vista x64 with issue's and I could startup again normally with all software options installed and running (including the Windows Defender)

If it is freezing try this as it worked for me:

Start the PC is safe mode
1. Start regedit
2. Look up the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\aswVmm
3. Change the Start REG_DWORD from value 1 to 3 (leave the Hexadecimal as is).
4. Restart PC. If it works you are done. If it does not work bug support !!

NOTE: You are editing you registry! If you are unsure of this MAKE a backup first of the key.
Also I do NOT take any responsibility if your PC crashes etc. You are on your own!
By following the steps as written above you acknowledge the fact you may damage your system.

(If this is the solution can I get the lost days reimbursed on my 3 year subscription? Lolz)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:36:50 PM by CaptainLeonidas »

VFN

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »
Is Vista x64 a confirmed problem, especially Home Premium which I have? I haven't updated to 8 and am very hestitant to with what I've read.

Thanks.

jderouen

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:58 AM »
Avast pushed through an update today and stupid me assumed it was good and installed it. Turned out it updated me to v8 and of course my 64 Bit Vista PC hung on booting. Went into safemode, removed Avast, and it booted fine. Reinstalled, same issue, uninstalled and then searched the forums which brought me to this thread.

I just re-upped my subscription last month. I'm calling Avast in the morning and demanding a refund and going with another program. This should never have happened, and it's going to cost them customers. I've used Avast for years but they've just lost me as a customer, this is ridiculous.