Author Topic: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final  (Read 72074 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »
Hi DavidR,
                   Thanks for replying yes i did read your posting , but i have not got a clue as to where those drivers are or how to disable them .I did try the search bar but came up with nothing. could you give me directions  to do'ing this job of disabling the drivers? thank You        As i finished do'ing this message i had a thought instead of typing that drivers name in search i just typed drivers and it came up with 152 drivers which i will now look through. watch this space
                                                                          John

This is actually in the Registry in this Key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\aswVmm, if you aren't comfortable with making a manual adjustment, then this is probably left alone.

These images show where it is in the registry and an idea of what the values that may already be set.
NOTE: this is on my XP Pro system and I'm using the public beta version of avast free, 8.0.1484 - so my settings may differ from other OSes and avast versions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fethiyeman

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
Hi,
     Looking at your last post DavidR it's all way over my head really if i carry on i may do serious damage to my system, and as Mistowize has said what are we all do'ing running round like headless chickens and beavers try to sort this when avast should be doing it. It's a lesson in the fact that had i bought from Avosec the English Dstrbs instead of Avast on line , i could have called on Avosec tech men to help solve the problem. I have had a word with my credit card people obout claiming my 3year fee back if things don't get sorted although i would rather have a working Avast ais on my machine

fethiyeman

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
In my hunt to try to download a copy of avast ver7ais to replace the one i cleared out i have been sent a copy (from a bonafide source) which i have downloaded to the desktop.
on trying to open it to run it  the message i get is this C:\ users\owner\desktop\blackvue400g\ avast-internet-security-setup.exe is not a valid win32 application. could anyone please tell me what this means? OS is vista bis 64bit
                                   john

MoreThenYourAverageGuy

« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2013, 03:41:53 AM »
This is actually in the Registry in this Key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\aswVmm, if you aren't comfortable with making a manual adjustment, then this is probably left alone.

These images show where it is in the registry and an idea of what the values that may already be set.
NOTE: this is on my XP Pro system and I'm using the public beta version of avast free, 8.0.1484 - so my settings may differ from other OSes and avast versions.

So your telling me changing it here is not the same as editing the registry?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:19:05 AM by MoreThenYourAverageGuy »

fethiyeman

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »
MTYAG   thats not my quote friend I'm not that clever. It's DavidR he knows what he is do'ing which is more than can be said for me

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
<snip quote>

So your telling me changing it here is not the same as editing the registry?

No, it was just that fethiyeman was asking about the other instructions and couldn't find the entry for the aswVmm driver in the device manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fethiyeman

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
Hi All,
          Could anyone give me the answer as to why AVAST appears unable or unwilling to put it's head above the parapit and ownup that there is a problem out here with Ver8. With the vast number of problems being aired on this forum and emails to the company they can't  think thats it's just one man with a badly setup computor. Has anyone actually had contact and answers  from  Avast ?
       john
l

Whassup

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »
I don't know, but Avast seems to have maken sure that this trap works. After last update (8.0.1483) Vista 64-bit has stopped working, and the safe mode? Yes, it seems to be that there's "aswRvrt.sys" on the necessary core drivers that gets loaded and the entire process stops there.

MoreThenYourAverageGuy

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 04:22:57 AM »
MTYAG   thats not my quote friend I'm not that clever. It's DavidR he knows what he is do'ing which is more than can be said for me

Lol whoops I did not notice that heh, sorry bout all that.

Hi All,
          Could anyone give me the answer as to why AVAST appears unable or unwilling to put it's head above the parapit and ownup that there is a problem out here with Ver8. With the vast number of problems being aired on this forum and emails to the company they can't  think thats it's just one man with a badly setup computor. Has anyone actually had contact and answers  from  Avast ?
       john

It could be that the problem just does not happen to every vista 64bit system, certain situations may exist that make settings for those drivers/devices/services not set to the proper settings at instillation.

I still think doing the msconfig, and setting selective startup on system services only, rebooting, letting avast load, then msconfig again, and change to normal, and rebooting one last time. Changes it. Thats what I did to get it to run on my vista setup. I did not change any driver/service settings other then using msconfig selective startup tool.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 04:25:58 AM by MoreThenYourAverageGuy »

fethiyeman

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
MTYAG  yes you are right if you are capable of reconfig ok, but a lot of us are not and could cause a lot of damage. If it is that simple why did a man  who's day job is problem shooting and repairing avast products spend seven and a half hours by remote control trying to sort the prob out with the end resultof leaving ver7 on the machine and saying "don't upgrade to 8"  It was my fault that some how i clicked on a popup from avast did not look at it properly that has put me where i am now. but for that i would be a happy bunny running ver7. At this moment i am trolling around  trying to find a safe download  of  ver 7.0.1474 of 7AIS which appears to be like hens teeth!!The truth of all this is avast should not have released ver8 till it was totally sure it wasa download and use item, i don't expect to pay £65 for a prog and then have to reconfig my computor.
                                                           John

leland

« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2013, 01:47:15 AM »
I have Vista Business x64 on my machine and no amount of work will make Avast 8 work on it including the 1483 update.  I have used the cleaners to do cleanup and everything.  It just freezes during boot and won't proceed.  At this point I am going back to version 7 and am likely to stay there unless a true fix is released.  The annoying part is it works fine on every other x86 or x64 versions of Windows I have tried it on.  The only machine I have issues with is Vista x64.

Leland
:(

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »
This problem for Vista 64b should be fixed in the latest beta - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=119594.0

M.

mistowize

« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »
@ hectic-mmv

You commented that "This problem for Vista 64b should be fixed in the latest beta" update and gave us a link..

I'm using avast version 8.0.1483 on a 64 bit Ultimate OS
On the link that was provided for a "fix" why is the problem with rebooting not mentioned ?
The update doesn't mention this at all.
Is anyone from Avast reading this thread that contains to this problem?
Also avast version 8 is working for me ,and it was installed twice even with the freezing at the progress bar.
Its an issue of freezing after avast ask for a restart ,and apparently some people aren't even able to get it
onto their machines (this was not my problem) only the freezing up at reboot.
So avast is still not addressing this freezing issue ,or why some people are unable to even install the new avast.
When an update comes out,and when avast addresses this specifically known issue relating to an update for it I will
do another program update ,until then I'm not going to mess around with whats on my pc now.
One person (on the link you gave) said they had to uninstalled Avast, downloaded Version 7, then updated to Version 8.0.1483,that's
not a fix that's the version I'm on  .
Sounds like some comments are directed towards other problems that the latest update has.
If some people who are having this known issue here that we are discussing on this thread and do the latest update can they "PLEASE"
report their findings on how the installation went ,if the freezing at the progress bar after rebooting is a resolved problem.
I'm sure everyone on this thread would appreciate news regarding this update .
Until then no program update will I do.

fethiyeman

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
Hi All,
          This evening my computor is up and running with ver 7 AIS !!Hooray.This morning i rang AVG and and one of the bright boys there by remote control installed and set up ver 7AIS again ,perfect running again. I got a big warning to ignore upgrade popups but it's quite easy to get caught out i noticed one popup which had "present  ver 7.0.1474" upgrade to ver 7.o.1483 !! when it should read 8.0.1483 I pointed this out whilst on the phone and was told yea i know but a different dept deals with that side of things there are NO UPGRADES FOR VER 7 only the auto updates for virus side of things, I have to ring up in a couple of months to see if there is a fix for the problem which seams to be effecting only Vista 64 machines. the only fly in the ointment today was that i had to pay avast £10 for the remote connection and really it's their fault for having a unfit fir use Ver8 still at least my machine is running like a Singer.
                                                                                   John

fethiyeman

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:43 PM »
Too much cider should have said AVAST not repeat not avg sorry