Author Topic: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final  (Read 72076 times)

GPJ

Re: Windows Vista 64bit freezes at the progress bar Avast 8 Final
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2013, 10:39:46 PM »
hectic-mmv

I don’t understand that you can say the problem is solved in beta version 8.0.1484.166.

After uninstalling the free version 8.0.1483 I have a few days ago installed beta 1 build 8.0.1484.166.
Exactly the same issue as before!
Windows freezes at the progress bar when rebooting.

All this is done on my laptop with a brand new installation of Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit for testing this issue (Reply #54 and 64). Windows Defender disabled and no other programs installed except Avast free version 8.

I sent avast! Support a Ticket 19.03. After one week I was asked to send a crash dump which I did right away. I received an e-mail with thanks for the crash dumps, which was forwarded to their development team for further analysis.

This was obviously waste of time if avast believes that beta version 8.0.1484.166 fixes the problem.

Other Windows Vista 64-bit users with the same experience?

Perhaps you are also tired of uninstalling and reinstalling and again uninstall and reinstall etc.

I have again made the fix in the registry to be able to boot.

Greetings
GPJ
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:41:33 PM by GPJ »

mistowize

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »
I read and re-read the issues that the avast latest update directed fixes for,and it has nothing to do with the problem that
exist on this thread ,so avast has not come up with any fix for the problem of freezing at the reboot.
I wish that someone from avast would direct a comment to this problem,and not the other problems that apparently avast 8
is having a lot of.
People having to reconfigure pc's and install and uninstall is ridiculous , this is not our problem to fix ,but avast.

SteveAv

« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
GPJ

I got an email from avast asking me to

Could you try this workaround with our new beta?:
1. uninstall avast7 (and 8 if you have it) - you should use our removal utility
( http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe )

2. restart and delete manually both avast folders. One in Program Files and one in Program Data.

Then check if in the adapter properties in control panels -> network adapter settings is not present "avast firewall NDIS filter miniport". If yes, remove it manually please.

Then go to Windows\System32\DriverStore folder and search for aswndis*.* . If there will be anything with this delete it manually.

3. Turn off Windows firewall

4. then clear all off-line content and cookies from your web browser and download our latest beta
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0

and install it.

After successful installation could you double click on you license file to register your copy of avast.

5. Turn on Windows firewall

GPJ is this what you did?
I have not tried it yet.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »
my ticket is till open as of the 06.03.2013..

Not really helpfull just a statement.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

mistowize

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
So its my understanding they are wanting people to try a "work a round" that's rich, really rich.
People from the left and right have been tinkering with their computers trying to figure out "work a rounds"
I don't think they know what to do with all this,but we're suppose to experiment with out computers to try
and fix the problem of their program.
Thanks ,but no thanks...fix through an update isn't that how its suppose to be "fixing known issues with updates".

GPJ

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2013, 12:51:39 AM »
SteveAv

I uninstalled using avast uninstall utility and deleted avast folder in Program Files.
Then I installed the downloaded beta version of avast free antivirus (8.0.1484.166).

I've tried to follow the description given to you, but it makes no difference.
I have used the new beta uninstall utility which I think should be used to remove the beta version.
Windows still freezes at the progress bar when rebooting.

The new beta does NOT solve my problem.

I will be very disappointed if avast team is not able to find a solution to this issue and have it ready for the next update.

GPJ

Offline Wyzard

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS HAS BEEN ADDRESSED???

This has happened to me twice now!!!

I got a larger hard drive at Christmas and purchased Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0.
Shortly after I upgraded the C-Drive...(took a while because I had to order a cable
to connect systemboard to second drive to run program)...shortly after AVAST 8
came out and BANG!  No reboot... I blamed the whole thing on the Migrate Easy.

Today 4/4/2013 I performed a Restore Point just before running AVAST 8 upgrade on
my original C-Drive and BANG! Same thing, but at least I was able to recover via the restore
point... not so on the larger capacity drive with is pretty much SOL at this point.

I'm guessing there isn't a fix since the upgrade I tried today was via the program user control
panel.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
There are workarounds mentioned in this topic I believe.

Also the current avast beta version 8.0.1484 is also meant to resolve that, so it depends on what action you want to take.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

maxpower

« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2013, 03:38:30 AM »
I updated to version 8 today and also got system freeze with vista.

My solution was to go into safe mode and remove avast.

Then do a system restore to get back my version 7 avast.

mistowize

« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
@ DavidR

The comment:
"There are workarounds mentioned in this topic I believe."

"Also the current avast beta version 8.0.1484 is also meant to resolve that, so it depends on what action you want to take"

The beta version is not resolving this issue that is being discussed on this thread.I'm waiting for one person to say that they
did this update and it "resolved" this problem. The problem is "freezing at the progress bar,after avast ask for a restart"

People have been doing work a rounds , yes and they have been going into their registry's trying to get avast 8 to work
on their machines.They've been making modifications to the program itself trying to get it working.
"They have been trying" , this is an avast issue and that is where the help should come from to resolve this.
I think with the amount of comments on this thread ,regarding this problem something should have already been done.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
As an avast user I have no control over how this is resolved by avast.

Yes it is their problem and they should fix it, but if you choose not to apply the workaround to resolve it in the meantime that is your choice. Or you can take the larger step of a clean reinstall of avast 7 whilst waiting.

What I can't do is speed things up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CaptainLeonidas

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
The only thing what got my installation to work was edit a setting in the registry.
This in itself is not altering a program just modifying it's settings.

I was suggested the "work-around" too in my ticket.
Naturally I choose to ignore it as asked for a solution not a work-around.

If Avast! chooses to have ticket(s) last over a month without a solution we might as well consider Avast! software beta software much like gmail had for a long time.
I would think the Avast! Beta label just got dropped on the website.

Not a happy camper....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:13:41 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)

GPJ

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2013, 07:12:27 PM »
A user forum like this is perfect to get help from other users when it comes to common user problems relating to avast software.

When there is a serious error, as it happens when you try to upgrade to the new version 8, on a PC with Windows Vista 64-bit, then it is certainly an avast job to solve this problem.

Thanks to CaptainLeonidas who found a way to solve the startup problem, by making a change in the registry, I have been able to use version 8 until avast team comes with a permanent solution.

As other users have reported the problem for more than a month ago and the available beta version 8.0.1484.166 does not solve my problem, then I begin to doubt whether avast take Windows Vista 64-bit users seriously.

I don’t think when someone from avast team sees this thread with 116 replies and 5968 views - that they just close their eyes. Hope not.

Are there any other avast users with Vista 64-bit who have tried to install the available beta version???
And what was the conclusion???

GPJ

SteveAv

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
Is there any news?

Offline CaptainLeonidas

« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2013, 04:28:16 PM »
No news.

Just silly questions in which people are asked to test their beta as a workaround (or so it seems).
Of course I refuse since my own solution is working oke but unconfirmed by official support.

Any attempt to get details are just not noticed even as I ask again and again.
Details like a full list of files + target folders + registry setting in both "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" are ignored.

Color me pink but I believe my English is not that bad. Is it?

Anyway my ticket is now open for more then  1 month. Started the ticket 06.03.2013.
Aaah well, I will continue to keep the ticket open till I get an answer to my question.