Author Topic: Ideal settings for older control machines  (Read 2244 times)

askemp

Ideal settings for older control machines
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
Hello,

We are using avast Endpoint Protection Suite managed by Small Office Administration. The issue we are having is with the older windows xp machines that we are using for various tasks in our production area. Although these machines are not used for web browsing or anything internet based, they do need to be on the network to access files and for backup purposes. These machines are by no means fast but it seems like the default install of Avast drastically effects their performance.

Are there ideal settings for a setup like this? I mainly just want to get performance up to something acceptable. I know there's items like Web Shield that I could probably disable but would it even matter if there is no web activity on the computer anyways?

djdsk8

Re: Ideal settings for older control machines
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:54 PM »
Good Morning,

I have had a very similar issue with the older xp machines running in the office.  I don't know if this is the best method but it's the method that got the machines back in a usable state.

In the Small Office Administration consul:  Network - Group view - all the way at the bottom right hand corner there is a button "Create new group" - I created a new group named 'older machines which need less modules running' - move all of the slow machines to this newly created group (just right click on the computer name in group view)

Now you need to configure the new groups settings.  Click on the new groups tab (it will be to the right of the 'Default Group' tab when in 'group view' of 'network') and then click the button 'edit group settings'.  From here you can change and turn off anything you would like, I turned off a lot of the shields that I deemed unnecessary for the machines in question (from 'Shields settings')

studio_two

Re: Ideal settings for older control machines
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
Hello,

I started a similar thread a while ago, which may contain something of use to you: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107142

One thing that completely "kills" older machines are the scheduled virus checks.

Regards,
Stephen
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:59:09 AM by studio_two »