Author Topic: Avast 8: Software Updater how to permanent disable this function?  (Read 47392 times)

psg

Avast 8: Software Updater how to permanent disable this function?
As many serious users we don;t need such function. Avast allways have all enable/disable options why this was not included? Austosand box has got such option for permanet disable so why software updater must be manually stop every time i powerON my PC?
Please make disable option for software updater.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast 8: Software Updater how to permanent disable this function?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
Control Panel>Programs and Features>Uninstall>double click "avast">click "change">select>reboot  :)

edit: It was included as a choice when using a custom install.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

psg

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
thanks!
i made update from avast 7 menu so i was prompted only about google chrome etc but not for software updater
really thanks man.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »
No problem.  :)

Just keep in mind that keeping software up to date is extremely important.
Especially from a security standpoint.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Quatrix

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
It took me maybe 10 seconds to find it after upgrading.  There's a big "SOFTWARE UPDATER" page in the GUI with a "Stop" button.  There's no need to configure it during installation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
Takes a similar if not less time if you do a custom install to uncheck the options you don't want installed, so you aren't troubled by them and don't have to find and stop them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Skakara

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
It took me maybe 10 seconds to find it after upgrading.  There's a big "SOFTWARE UPDATER" page in the GUI with a "Stop" button.  There's no need to configure it during installation.
But when you reboot, it's back on running.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »
But when you reboot, it's back on running.
Not if you untick during a custom install. 
Or if you do a repair/change.  :)

felgall

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »
You don't get the option to do a custom install if you are upgrading from the previous version - you have to go into the Change program in order to remove it.

If you really want to monitor the programs on your system to keep them up to date then you should be running Secunia PSI which will monitor hundreds of programs on your computer and not just the half dozen or so that the Avast Updater does. Also Secunia forces you to run the program as administrator when you open it and so allows you to run almost all updates without actually needing to use your administrator account whereas the Avast updater needs you to log into your administrator account in order for it to be able to run any of the updates.

At least by adding the Software Updater Avast have let more people know about another aspect of their system security that they might not have covered at all (apart from those who have it fully covered already by having Secunia installed).

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:25:20 AM »
As felgal and others have said if you do an upgrade from Avast 7 you don't get a Custom Install option.

Secondly pressing the Software Updater Stop button Disables it for that session but on Restart it will be reset to the default: On.

To disable it permanently you have to do what  Para Noid daid: go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Progams > Avast. When you left click to highlight the Avast entry a Change/Remove button should appear. Click on that;  the Change option should be highlighted by default so click the Next button to get the Avast component selection menu. Uncheck the Software Updater entry plus anything else you don't want and the rest is obvious.

You shouldn't need a software updater at all. Most programs come with an annoying automatic updater on as default. Most people turn it off when possible and either use the option, when available, just to be reminded (using a pop-up message) when an update is available. Many turn the whole thing off and and check for updates on a regular basis (weekly or monthly) themselves.

The only thing I allow to automtically update now is my Avast AV definitions. As I'm still on dial-up having Windows and a dozen programs checking for updates let alone trying to install them would make my connection crawl almost to a halt. That's why I've found this Avast Software Updater unknowingly installed with "On" as default and no disable button particularly annoying.

Offline tosal

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
Next version of Software Updater (shipped with Avast R2 release in a couple of weeks) will have an option in Settings which will allow disabling Software Updater permanently (persistent).

beerslayer

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 01:19:07 AM »
This really is annoying.  I upgraded from v7 and was never offered the choice to not install this feature.

Also, as Undead pointed out, clicking Stop only applies to the current session.

There's one more possibility that Avast failed to consider: some of us might want to have the feature installed so that we can use it manually, but not have it run automatically every time.  This isn't even an option if the only way I can disable it is to uninstall it.

Avast: you're usually better than this.  Please allow your users to use your software the way we want instead of the way you want.  Thank you.

UPDATE: I didn't see tosal's post about the option to disable.  My complaint will go away with the implementation of that option!  :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:21:02 AM by beerslayer »

LordKitsuna

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 01:42:11 AM »
why is everyone so against being told about updates to their programs?

Offline infomancer

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
Had the same issue as everyone else here, but thanks to Para-Noid, now I know what to do :)

I also upgraded from Avast 7 and wasn't given a choice to install Software Updater or not.

Fabo.sk

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 04:01:46 PM »
why is everyone so against being told about updates to their programs?

I, for one, find it a massive nuisance, as I have several programs that I simply need to be on their older versions, for objective reasons.
I have most other software on autoupdate anyway, if the software has the feature. Or at least automatic check.