Author Topic: Update Issues  (Read 12286 times)

Offline NightShiftGuru74

Update Issues
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »
Today, I renewed my registration for my Avast Free Antivirus (it said I had 28 days left).  I had version 7 something.  After I renewed it, that's when I noticed that there was a program update available, so I updated it.  I now have version 8.0.1482.  After I updated it, now it says "Not yet registered (0 days remaining)" at the top of the program window.  When I go to the Maintenance tab and click on Registration, it says "Current Status: Registered" and the dates that it shows say that it was registered today and will expire a year from today (3/1/2014), but it also shows "0 days remaining" below the yellow bar.  When I click the "Register Now" button, then select Avast Free Antivirus, the next box that comes up shows my email address, but if I choose an answer to the question asking if I have an Android-based phone, the box suddenly disappears and nothing happens.  If I skip that question and click the "Continue to get free license" button at the bottom, then an error message comes up, "The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error."

There is also a red X on the Avast icon in the system tray, and in the program window, it says "Unsecured - The avast antivirus is off: Start".  If I click "Start" or the "Resolve All" button, my entire computer seems to freeze up.  If I try to uninstall the avast software, I get an error message saying "Error - avast! - A setiface error has occurred: 2 - Try to reinstall or contact support, please."  If I try to reinstall from a file I just downloaded two different times today, I get an error message saying "Setup Selfextract - An error 0 (00000000) has occured.  Last performed operation was: spawning."

I downloaded your "aswClear" uninstallation utility from your website and followed the instructions.  Then I reinstalled the Avast software from the file I had downloaded earlier.  The exact same things are happening again.

I have spent almost an entire day trying to fix this.  I have tried using System Restore, among other things, but to no avail.  Please help!  If nothing else, maybe I could try reinstalling version 7 of your software.  Could you maybe send me a link to download version 7?

By the way, I am still running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Update Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:19:29 AM »
Download from the links below.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe

Both should have 8.0.1482.45 as their file versions from those links.  Follow the instructions for aswclear at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.  The download link there led to an older version the last I checked.  Run aswclear (using the pulldown) for each version of Avast you have had installed (8,7 etc.)  It doesn't hurt to reboot afterwards and then attempt the install.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

tommyjai88

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »
exactly same situation happened to me on win7
nothing changed even after using aswclear and reinstall

JimmyJam

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
I'm having problems too. I'm trying to read through the forum to find out what to do. It's not a very welcoming place unfortunately

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:02:27 PM »
I'm having problems too. I'm trying to read through the forum to find out what to do. It's not a very welcoming place unfortunately

I've got the same problem too only affecting my Windows 8 setup? What OSes are you guys using?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

JimmyJam

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
I've got the same problem too only affecting my Windows 8 setup? What OSes are you guys using?
I'm using windows 7. I think I'll try downgrading to avast 7 but that seems like that would be a short term fix anyway

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »
I'm using windows 7. I think I'll try downgrading to avast 7 but that seems like that would be a short term fix anyway

Have you tried an Avast repair?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

tommyjai88

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 11:41:56 PM »
i found in another post someone mentioning the program mactype might be the problem
so i tried to exclude "AvastUI.exe" from mactype and the registration seems to be fixed it's showing "REGISTERED" for now
let me see if the problem come back after 2 or 3 days
so for those who have mactype might as well try if nothing works

smuks

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »
Hi tommyjai88,

Could you provide me with more info on how resolved this issue, or a link the article you? Because I've only just upgraded and I have run straight into this issue.

Thank you

tommyjai88

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
i think this problem is not just limited to mactype
but if u think mactype is the conflicting problem for u, then try to exclude avast from mactype by:
1. go to ur mactype installation directory\ini
   (i believe default is C:\Proqgram Files (x86)\MacType\ini)
2. open the .ini file for the font rendering style u chose with notepad, its "Default.ini" for me
3. find the list of excluded list of program under [UnloadDll]
4. add "AvastUI.exe" to the list of [UnloadDll]
5. save the change and reboot

this is wt i did and still seems to be ok atm

Offline NightShiftGuru74

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
Download from the links below.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/aswclear.exe

Both should have 8.0.1482.45 as their file versions from those links.  Follow the instructions for aswclear at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.  The download link there led to an older version the last I checked.  Run aswclear (using the pulldown) for each version of Avast you have had installed (8,7 etc.)  It doesn't hurt to reboot afterwards and then attempt the install.

The first time I ran the aswclear utility, it was the older version (7), but today I downloaded the new version from the link provided and reinstalled version 8.0.1482.45 of the Avast Free software, and the exact same things are all happening again!  I had even shut down almost everything that was running in the background this time.  By the way, I don't have mactype.

I think I will try to find an installation file for version 7 of the software and use that until they get this issue fixed.  Obviously, I'm not the only one having this problem.

Offline NightShiftGuru74

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »
I found an installation file for version 7.0.1456 and installed it.  It seems to be working fine.  It says that I am registered with 365 days remaining.  I think I'll just keep using this version for a while.  Maybe they will fix the issues with version 8 in the future.

jakel

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
Joining the "Freeze on Boot" club.

Updated 2 machines to Avast v. 8 yesterday.
No problems with Win7 64, but Vista 64 machine failed to boot into windows.
Used the uninstall utility and tried reinstalling. Again failed to boot into Windows.
Used uninstall utility once more and installed v. 7

No Zone Alarm etc security software on the failed machine, just the widows firewall.

Judging from the amount of reported BSODs & freezes, Avast 8 definitely needs some more work....
I haven't been locked out of Widows for a looong time by any installs...
Therefore I will stay w 7 until v 8 gets a fix.

terry russell

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »
V7 said update, I updated  to 8
paid for pro 2 years

An old Xp machine just used for emails, ebay etc

It wouldn't activate , not registered,  couldn't register since every time a survey was selected it closed nor would it proceed without the survey

rebooted, wouldn't load past windows opening screen , just a start-shutdown cycle
safe mode-> would  not start in safe mode
last known good-> worked, everything seems normal
Read up on problems, removed zonealarm

removed avast
reinstalled, same problem
rebooted, wouldn't load past windows opening screen , just a start-shutdown cycle
safe mode-> would  not start in safe mode
last known good-> did not work this time

SO it now has no windows, no safe mode no rollback and an unused 2 years registration
I do have a disk image from a month ago and can probably read the mails off the HD on another machine

8 has a problem, where can I get a copy of 7 assuming it somehow reboots tomorrow?

Kilia

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »