Author Topic: Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP  (Read 23544 times)

ddalbiez

Re: Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
I have Zonealarm as well and got this BSOD issue with Avast 8. And I don't want to get rid if Zonealarm. Can others with the BSOD issue on XP confirm or not that they use Zonealarm?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:47:35 AM by ddalbiez »

Offline Amph

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »
In my own pc, WINXP Pro with PCTools Firewalls Plus, Avast 8 goes fine. This morning I've updated Avast v8 in a pc with WINXP Home with Zone Alarm and got BSOD. I'm going to investigate further looking into the dump file but indeed Zone Alarm and its True Vector seems to be the major candidate.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »
Can others with the BSOD issue on XP confirm or not that they use Zonealarm?

I can confirm that it works without ZA.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ddalbiez

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
Can others with the BSOD issue on XP confirm or not that they use Zonealarm?

I can confirm that it works without ZA.
And it works with Zonealarm and Avast 7. So the avast 8 upgrade seems to have a problem. I opened a ticket with the Avast help desk mentioning this possible incompatibility.

SectorGZ

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
I agree ... ZoneAlarm, latest version, works perfectly with Avast 7. When installing Avast 8 was when I seen all my issues. Hopefully it can be resolved if it is a ZoneAlarm conflict of memory usage.

ddalbiez

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
Just got an answer from the Avast help desk asking me to do a clean-up in safe mode and a clean install, which I already did yesterday and did not silve the issue

iainmac66

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »
Similar story here. Avast 8 prevents boot in XP SP3.
No Zone Alarm, never used it.
Do have AMD chipset.

Can get back to 7.0.1474 from system restore.
All works fine until switch off.
Then the next boot fails again - very strange. Is Avast "corrupting" something in the windows boot files?

Trust we will not get "XP is too old to support" from Avast. Can accept a bug on a on operating system, but so many still using, we do expect a fix.

ddalbiez

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
Do have AMD chipset.

Then the next boot fails again - very strange. Is Avast "corrupting" something in the windows boot files?

Trust we will not get "XP is too old to support" from Avast. Can accept a bug on a on operating system, but so many still using, we do expect a fix.
I suggest you do a clean install of Avast 7:
-download the avast cleaning tool
-download Avast 7, e.g. from oldapps.com
-boot in safe mode, uninstall Avast using their cleaning tool
-reboot in normal mode
-install Avast 7
Did this solve your problem?

Offline Amph

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
Uninstalling ZA made the trick. Avast 8 works fine again with no BSOD (in a WinXP Home + AMD chipset)

SectorGZ

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »
I much rather get another AV program than go without ZoneAlarm to be honest. I have made too many configuration changes to the Firewall (ZoneAlarm) to start over with another FW program. Hopefully Avast can find how these 2 programs can work together rather than making us choose which one to install. Avast 7 works perfectly with ZoneAlarm.

Offline art13

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
BSOD on  four pc's running XP sp3 x86 and Zonealarm firewall.

Uninstalling Zonealarm seems to solve the problem.

Also no problem on pc running on Win7 x64 without Zonealarm.

Hope a solution wil be found soon, like to keep Zonealarm free firewall as well as Avast antivirus free

Art

iainmac66

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
Unfortunately, ddalbiez suggestion does not work for me.
Uninstall using aswclear.exe in safe mode appears to remove avast.
Re-install version 7, all appears to work, free licence is back in place (with auto-updates).
Runs fine.
Switch off. Re-boot, still fine.
Re-boot next day and get BSOD again.

Can Avast somehow be affecting windows boot? Very strange.

Next step is ditch avast completely, use AVG, see what happens.

Do have AMD chipset.

I suggest you do a clean install of Avast 7:
-download the avast cleaning tool
-download Avast 7, e.g. from oldapps.com
-boot in safe mode, uninstall Avast using their cleaning tool
-reboot in normal mode
-install Avast 7
Did this solve your problem?

GetomA-vast_

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »
Uninstalling ZA made the trick. Avast 8 works fine again with no BSOD (in a WinXP Home + AMD chipset)

Identical for me, Zone Alarm firewall uninstalled, now Avast V8 functioning, (MY Specs: Win XP, SP 3, AMD Athlon 64)
I have enabled Windows Firewall and hope it is up to the task, security updates for XP are up to date.
Can any one suggest a Strong Firewall that does not conflict with Avast V8

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
Can any one suggest a Strong Firewall that does not conflict with Avast V8

CIS, OA, Outpost, etc... (Search the forum..!! ;))
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

karlwb

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2013, 09:39:39 PM »
Just updated my Win XP SP3 machine (running Zone-Alarm firewall) to Avast! 8.0.1482 and got continuous BSOD and restart after installation.

I got it to load the 'last known good' configuration to boot in to Windows. I downloaded the ZA clean.exe utility to remove Zone-Alarm and rebooted. Then I used aswclear.exe to remove whatever Avast! had installed. Reboot again.

Downloaded a fresh copy of Avast! 8.0.1482 and installed that and rebooted again - all appears to be working normally, just minus the Zone-Alarm...

It does appear that there is some sort of incomparability between Zone-Alarm and Avast! so you have to go with one or the other at the moment until a patched version of one or the other is released.

Personally I'd rather my anti-virus was up to date and remove Zone-Alarm as I can run with XP firewall on the PC for the moment, although I would like ZA back at some point.

Karl