Author Topic: Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP  (Read 23552 times)

waking

Re: Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 01:17:29 AM »

Personally I'd rather my anti-virus was up to date and remove Zone-Alarm as I can run with XP firewall on the PC for the moment, although I would like ZA back at some point.

Karl

Just a caveat, in case you aren't aware of it: The firewall in XP protects incoming traffic only. It is not a 2-way firewall, which will guard against unauthorized outgoing traffic as well. That capability was added to the Windows firewall starting with Vista.

So if you are going to be without ZA for some tine, it may be prudent to give one of the other free 2-way firewalls a try.

Sandoz

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:20 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had any freeze up when trying to run a scan?

I updated to Avast 8, I tried to run a quick scan on my computer. As soon as I selected the scan button, my computer would lock up.
I had to do a hard shut down.
It seems to boot up OK, but when I tried to run a scan again, it froze immediately. This occurred multiple times until I decided to stop because I felt a head explosion coming on if I continued.  :o

I noticed another update came through, but I have been trying to work so I haven't tried to do another scan since yesterday.

I noticed a lot of people using Windows XP like myself were having freeze up issues. Anyone having it if trying to run a scan?

Thank you for any information.

karlwb

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »

Personally I'd rather my anti-virus was up to date and remove Zone-Alarm as I can run with XP firewall on the PC for the moment, although I would like ZA back at some point.

Karl

Just a caveat, in case you aren't aware of it: The firewall in XP protects incoming traffic only. It is not a 2-way firewall, which will guard against unauthorized outgoing traffic as well. That capability was added to the Windows firewall starting with Vista.

So if you are going to be without ZA for some tine, it may be prudent to give one of the other free 2-way firewalls a try.

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I did know about XP inbound only fire-wall however I am just hoping that this apparent incomparability is resolved fairly quickly so I can re-install Zone-Alarm, although I will have a look at the other options just in case it's not...

Regards

Karl

waking

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
In addition to those mentioned by Asyn, you may also check out Privatefirewall:
http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

BillRubin

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
I also was hit by the dreaded BSOD on my main machine running XP Pro SP3 and Zone Alarm (free edition). In my configuration, it caused reboot upon login, making my machine useless. Was able to uninstall Avast in safe mode, making the problem go away.

I was a very happy user of Avast for about 5 years, and am disappointed that Version 8 crashes my machine. I would really have wanted to just install Avast 7, but could not find it anywhere on the web. I also didn't want to remove ZA, since I've been happy with it for 10 years. So I reluctantly searched for a new antivirus. Currently running ZA antivirus. Seems to work fine.

Why can't Avast make Version 7 available for the many folks in my situation?

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
I also was hit by the dreaded BSOD on my main machine running XP Pro SP3 and Zone Alarm (free edition). In my configuration, it caused reboot upon login, making my machine useless. Was able to uninstall Avast in safe mode, making the problem go away.

I was a very happy user of Avast for about 5 years, and am disappointed that Version 8 crashes my machine. I would really have wanted to just install Avast 7, but could not find it anywhere on the web. I also didn't want to remove ZA, since I've been happy with it for 10 years. So I reluctantly searched for a new antivirus. Currently running ZA antivirus. Seems to work fine.

Why can't Avast make Version 7 available for the many folks in my situation?
Have you installed 8.0.1483 which is supposed to solve this issue with Zone Alarm?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 03:35:30 AM »
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

true indian

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »

pascal1947

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2013, 12:24:15 AM »
It is with the deepest regret that I must say good-bye to Avast.  I have removed it from my machine and replaced it with AVG.
But, fear not, there may come a time that I return to look at Avast once again.  Who is to say that AVG might someday stupidly
inflict an inadequately tested version of its software upon its loyal user community, causing repeated BSOD failures and sending
them scampering to their competition.  They might even adopt the cavalier attitude, that it is the users own fault for using software
such as ZoneAlarm.

waking

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2013, 12:40:31 AM »
It is with the deepest regret that I must say good-bye to Avast.  I have removed it from my machine and replaced it with AVG. ...
They might even adopt the cavalier attitude, that it is the users own fault for using software
such as ZoneAlarm.

Are we to understand from this that the recent update 1483 which fixed issues with ZoneAlarm didn't
help in your case?

AVAST 8 Program update! (8.0.1483)
on: March 07, 2013, 08:38:16 AM
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0

"List of changes
 *  Fixed issue with ZoneAlarm
 ... "

Offline art13

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »
Looks like update 8.0.1483 solved the problems for me. Four pc's (xp sp3) now running Avast 8 free and zonealarm free. Two hung the second bootup after installing 8.0.1483 (without bsod) but after a hard reset seem fine now.

Art