Author Topic: Avast! 8 doesn't work on my PC  (Read 15644 times)

Jaunty

Avast! 8 doesn't work on my PC
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
Hello,

I just updated my Avast! software to version 8.0.1482 on my computer (Windows Vista 32 bits)
My computer is protected by default windows vista firewall but avast! is registered as allowed program.
Windows Vista is updated.

But now Avast! doesn't work any more.

I tried to repair avast! without success.

I tried an uninstall from safe mode using aswClear - http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe and re-install. Without success.

When I try to activate manually avast! service, it is down 1 minute later.

When I change my settings ("permanent internet connection" for instance), they are not saved.

When I try to update VPS database, popup says : "update failure, Avast! service is not activated".

When I try to "restore default settings" from avast! settings, popup says that "sub-system AAVM detected an RPC error".

Please help !

SectorGZ

Re: Avast! 8 doesn't work on my PC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »
I have the same issue with a twist. I am running XP with SP3 and currently all updates. I have no issues with Avast 7 Antivirus Pro .. in fact it worked perfectly. I received the update with the Avast control panel, as I have automatic updates switched to manual, and proceeded to update. This is where it all went bad.

First it would NOT activate "Shields". I thought it was a bad download and install, so I uninstalled version 7 and used "aswclear.exe" (old version) in "Safe Mode" to make sure everything was uninstalled. I tried downloading the "Trial" version of Avast 8 Antivirus Pro and then I was going to update all info accordingly. It stated that I was pass my 30 day limit and would NOT proceed further. I just installed it ... how can I be passed a 30 day trial period?

I got on the forums here and read a post that stated there was a new "aswclear.exe" with Version 8 in the drop-down list so I downloaded it. Proceeded with with the uninstall process, rebooted, etc.. I again downloaded "Avast 8 Antivirus Pro Trial" and reinstalled. Same issues as above but I also got a BSOD stating I installed new hardware and to contact the manufacturer ... I didn't install any hardware, just "Avast 8 Antivirus Pro Trial".

What is the issue? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

dvh2013

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
I have same problem with windows 7 32bit, once upgraded, it just keep shows "Avast! service is not activated" and there is no way to uninstall. Finally I uninstall it under windows' safe mode, and go back to use Avast! 7. Anyone know how to solve this problem, please kindly help. Thanks.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »
When you ran aswclear, did you also run it for version 7 and any earlier versions?  If not, do so, restart windows, and then install the version you want.  There might be some remnants of earlier versions around.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

SectorGZ

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
When you ran aswclear, did you also run it for version 7 and any earlier versions?  If not, do so, restart windows, and then install the version you want.  There might be some remnants of earlier versions around.

The second time I uninstalled Avast, with the new "aswclear.exe", I ran it for both Versions (7 & 8 as it had the drop down for both version). The first uninstall, using the new "aswclear.exe" deleted version 8 and aswclear.exe from my desktop ... I downloaded the aswclear.exe again and ran it for version 7 for which it found nothing. So the answer is "Yes" I did that. I downloaded the "Trail" version again and the same results as my above post.

I wasted 4 hours of pure frustration trying to get version 8 to work. Actually I also had to use "System Restore" to get my system to even boot up properly the second time I installed Avast 8. Total Avast 8 install tries were 3 times. I have no idea what to do  :'(  As I mentioned before I am on Windows XP SP3 32bit with all updates.

I am back on version 7 as it seems to run properly.

CASHOUT

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
UPDATE
AFTER 5 HOURS, I FIXED MY AVAST 8, GO DOWN TO MY NEXT POST FOR HOW.

Original post;
I have exact problem as "SectorGZ". I'm on XP-Sp3 also.
I removed Avast 7 before loading Version 8. (used  "aswclear.exe" on the first installation try. 
Still no shields, system freeze, RPC error. Same as "SectorGZ".
Again I removed all signs of version 8 and version 7 using REVO to find all to  uninstall.
Installed "version 8 free" and again no shields, system freeze, RPC error. Same as "SectorGZ"
My computer is up to date, cleaned and free of all malware using many tools to verify clean.
Please help us. I believe in AVAST and never want to use anything else.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:21:09 PM by CASHOUT »

Dixiegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:13:55 PM »
I've been using Avast more than 5 years. Never had a problem. I have a desktop running XP and a Laptop running Vista. Never a single problem. Until this week.

I don't know when the desktop version installed itself but it did and seems to be doing find. However, the Vista computer I'm ready to go back to some other protection.

I tried to install Version 8 last night. Totally knocked out my Google browser and the computer went back to a the last restore point. Why? Because at reboot it hung up... forever. I tried to install the update three times. Couldn't do it.

I had some problems with a root kit issue I'd had to have repaired a few weeks back and since I still felt the system was glitcy, I did a restore.

Guess what? Avast 8 won't install on a clean system. Totally knocked out Google Chrome and reset to  last restore point.

I don't want to keep having this issue. Any ideas? Can I get 7 back until you can work out what is obviously a problem that more people than I am having?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »
Try a "clean" install from safe mode using  aswClear - http://files.avast.com/test5beta/aswclear.exe  :)

Use the utility for each and every version you have ever had.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

SectorGZ

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
This didn't work for me, see above posts ... any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea if "aswclear.exe" worked or not, but the proof is Avast 8 will not run properly and causes many system failures. This is everything from BSOD and Memory Conflicts, forcing us to use a "Restore Point" to get the system to boot again, to Avast 8 not functioning at all.

I love Avast, but this version 8 seems terrible. To stay current with all the threats out on the net do we need to resort to another AV? I am NOT criticizing Avast ... just trying to seek a solution.

andygee33

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »
I have exact problem as "SectorGZ". I'm on XP-Sp3 also.
I removed Avast 7 before loading Version 8. (used  "aswclear.exe" on the first installation try. 
Still no shields, system freeze, RPC error. Same as "SectorGZ".
Again I removed all signs of version 8 and version 7 using REVO to find all to  uninstall.
Installed "version 8 free" and again no shields, system freeze, RPC error. Same as "SectorGZ"
My computer is up to date, cleaned and free of all malware using many tools to verify clean.
Please help us. I believe in AVAST and never want to use anything else.

Same man, is there any chance you guys are using AMD graphics/display? Just found out there is problems between the two.  Avast 7 worked so well..

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »
Andy i guess they maybe work for some fixes that people send them... If an avast employee can confirm it then people could be happy.

Mr.Agent

SectorGZ

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »
Same man, is there any chance you guys are using AMD graphics/display? Just found out there is problems between the two.  Avast 7 worked so well..

Yes, I have an ATI 9550 Graphics Card .... I never had an issue until I tried to install Avast 8. I run Autodesk Maya, Photoshop and many more graphic intensive programs without any issue and, as you mentioned, Avast 7 Antivirus Pro works flawlessly.

CASHOUT

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »

UPDATE,  I FIXED MY AVAST 8 PROBLEM, SEE HOW FURTHER DOWN ON MY NEXT POST BELOW.

andyGEE33----I do in fact use  AMD graphics/display. I have a video graphics card and use ATI/AMD drivers and software.
Pretty common, what made you think that is a lead?
I think I have some malware deeply hidden where the usual malware killer rootkits can't find it.  Just had a little instability this week, but I've cleaned and looked everywhere and don't have a sign. 
ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET AVAST 7?    I didn't find an archive on the AVAST site.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:52:15 PM by CASHOUT »

Kilia

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 05:25:49 AM »

SectorGZ

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
It seems from this post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116480.0 that ZoneAlarm might be a contributing factor to this issue. Is anyone posting here using ZoneAlarm also? I do.