Author Topic: Avast! 8 doesn't work on my PC  (Read 15645 times)

Offline justinlee

• Poster
Re: Avast! 8 doesn't work on my PC
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
I have same problem with windows 7 32bit, once upgraded, it just keep shows "Avast! service is not activated" and there is no way to uninstall. Finally I uninstall it under windows' safe mode, and go back to use Avast! 7. Anyone know how to solve this problem, please kindly help. Thanks.

Go to Start Menu and type services. Click on Services with the little cogs next to it and find Avast! Antivirus and Avast! Firewall. Double click on each one and manually restart them. Make sure they are set to automatic start.

That may work.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Dixiegirl

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
Same man, is there any chance you guys are using AMD graphics/display? Just found out there is problems between the two.  Avast 7 worked so well..

AMD graphics display also... 64 bit...

Kaguya

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »
Do any of you run Mactype?

I had very similar problems after I restarted after installation (all shields down and unable to start, freezing when clicking resolve issues in main screen, AAVM detected an RPC error, settings not saving, update failure, avast service stopping even after manual start, unable to uninstall unless in safe mode) but once I removed Mactype the issues were resolved.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:26:28 PM by Kaguya »

CASHOUT

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »

AFTER 5 HOURS, I FIXED MY AVAST 8, it works great. Here's what I did.

After 5 hours of cleaning, removing programs and many re-installs, I found that
"Microsoft Security Essentials" had been trying to install their virus protection since my Avast was no longer working. It actually succeeded once is the reason I found out what was going on. I disabled the program.
I had just uninstalled IOBIT Advanced System Care (the whole malware, protection and cleaning sub-programs), then I tried an Avast 8 install, which went perfect, works perfect and after 8 hrs. of use, it's still PERFECT.     

CONCLUSION; for my XP-sp3 computer, It was either -"IOBIT Advanced System Care"-  or "Microsoft Security Essentials" or the way the were installed that was causing the conflict and my problems with AVAST 8. 
All three companies and their products are excellent and no blame on any. Maybe my installations were flawed. JUST HAPPY TO HAVE AVAST WORKING.

SectorGZ

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
I'm glad you got things resolved.

I have checked my XP Box and I don't have "Microsoft Security Essentials" and never did. I wonder how that got installed on your system? To my knowledge Microsoft doesn't force "Microsoft Security Essentials" installs on XP. I have only ZoneAlarm and now Avast 7 re-installed. I, personally, think it is a conflict with ZoneAlarm that my Avast 8 issues are stemming from, but I have no way of checking unless I uninstall ZoneAlarm and try to install Avast 8 again. At least for the moment I have both running in harmony (Avast 7 and ZoneAlarm).

Thanks  ;)

CASHOUT

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »
I ran across a recent post i.e. Avast 8, while solving my prob. 3 people had a problem with Zone Alarm and A-8. One post couldn't decide whether it was Z.A. or MS Sec. Essentials.

EdinSpain

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »
I'm a newbie to the forum so I hope I'm doing the right thing in the right place.

It's now 3 hours since I agreed to update to Avast 8 and I'm just downloading Avast 7 from OldApps in the hope that it will work.

Since Avast 8 was installed every time I boot the computer I get the well known Assertion Failed message from MS Visual C++ Runtime Library. I've never seen this before in 25 years of using computers.

I'm running 4 computers all with WinXP SP3 all with Avast free, SuperAntiSpayware Pro and PCTools Firewall+ and haven't had a minutes problem until now. Thank goodness I've only installed Avast 8 on one of them. I've now got Avast 7 and will report back as to whether it works or not.

JimmyJam

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 10:32:17 PM »
Godam this site software is retarded. It eats my posts.

I can't be bothered typing out what is wrong again. The easy fix is remove avast 8 crippleware and use something else that works. Thanks

Offline Rompin Raider

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Godam this site software is retarded. It eats my posts.

I can't be bothered typing out what is wrong again. The easy fix is remove avast 8 crippleware and use something else that works. Thanks

Where is the newbie filter?
Win10 Pro 22H2 64 bit Avast Premium Security/uBlock Origin

EdinSpain

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
Avast 7.0.1474 is up and running with no problems. I think it's going to be a while before I take the leap to Avast 8 again.

Savio500

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
Do any of you run Mactype?

I had very similar problems after I restarted after installation (all shields down and unable to start, freezing when clicking resolve issues in main screen, AAVM detected an RPC error, settings not saving, update failure, avast service stopping even after manual start, unable to uninstall unless in safe mode) but once I removed Mactype the issues were resolved.

This is not a coincidence. I too had all kinds of problems with avast 8. After reading this, I disabled Mactype and reinstalled avast 8. It works fine now!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:18:11 PM by Savio500 »

EdinSpain

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
The problems continue.

Contrary to what I said in my first post, on this computer I'm using Privatefirewall 7.0 not PCTools Firewall + so I uninstalled it.
I then used aswclear .exe in safe mode to get rid of Avast 7, rebooted and re-installed Avast 8. On rebooting it immediately threw up the Assertion Failed message from MS Visual C++ Runtime Library.

I've back tracked again and am now running Avast 7, Privatefirewall 7.0, Superantispyware Pro and Spyware Blaster. All work well. It looks like sorting out Avast 8 is going to be a long job.

gwagnon

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
Like a number of others here, I too, have been unable to get Avast 8 working on my Windows XP Pro system.

I don't have ZoneAlarm or other firewall installed; I am using the default MS Windows firewall.
I have used ZoneAlarm since version 4.2, and prefer not to switch to a different product, as I have always had outstanding success with this.
My system has an Nvidia graphics interface, not ATI, but since its a laptop with this built in, its not going to change.
I don't have Microsoft Security Essentials or other software installed, other than the MS Windows firewall.  Are there any settings on this firewall that might be an issue?
I initially got Version 8 by accepting the popup offer.  I have also uninstalled it, reinstalled it, including using aswclear, to remove all Avast directories under Program Files.

I can install it and have it working, but the very next time that I reboot, it goes back to tellling me that all shields are disabled.  Allthough I have tried a number of things mentioned in this forum, I remain unable to get Version 8 working.  It appears that my best bet would be to uninstall, and go back to version 7, which was working perfectly before the update, and wait, hoping that a future update of version 8 will resolve this problem.

I need to tell others to whom I have recommended Avast!, and are using Avast 7 under XP NOT to accept the update offer until this issue is resolved.

kh1234567890

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:51 AM »
Congratulations, Avast. You have succeeded in taking something that was free and worked and turned it into a nasty piece of bloatware. Why ?

XP Pro SP3 system with AMD graphics. Avast 8 service crashes on update install reboot and freezes machine. Can't be ars*d to play with clean installs etc. - life is too short and there are plenty of other alternatives. Thank god for backups !

mystango

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 04:38:09 AM »
Just bought Avast internet security, 5pc's for 3 years, installed on all 5, all running Win7 64bit, 2 pro, 3 home. On the last one caused crashing and BSOD. Finally reinstalled Win 7 after trying many of the suggestions on here, as nothing of real importance on the PC. With fresh install, as soon as I install Avast 8 it does the same thing, will either not let me log in or just locks up right after logging in. Nothing except Windows installed and updated and drivers, Safe Mode, uninstall Avast 8, reinstall avast 7 and all is ok until I install my license then it auto updates to 8 and crashes, as long as I just use the free and don't register it all is ok. How long of my 3 years of the license I just purchased do you think it will take to come out with the fix? I have read through all of the forums and tried quite a few suggestions to no avail. Only an issue on one PC and this one has me stumped. Too many hours, it kinda works now and I am tired of messing with it. Hope a fix is found soon ....