Author Topic: Avast Slow Speed  (Read 1825 times)

archdak

Avast Slow Speed
« on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:12 PM »
Hi
I have just run Avast to check for Virus's on my "c" drive.  There are no virus issues but I do like to make sure on a regular basis.

The drive size checked was 40Mb and it took over 47 minutes which I have to say seems to be the norm.

It achieved speed of anything between 21Mbps and less that 13Mbps.  Usually the lower end.

I am using the latest version 8 free but this speed issue was the same before I upgraded.

I used to use AVG and this was a lot lot faster.

Is this normal or can anyone tell me what is happening.

Regards

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast Slow Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »
If you did a "clean" install avast will need to re-populate the persistent cache.
While this is being done you will find scan times will decrease.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Slow Speed
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
@ archdak
I take it that you mean a 40GB drive and not 40Mb that you stated.

You don't say if this was a Quick or Full System scan or if there were any modifications to the scan, scan archives, PUPs, etc. that would contribute to the overall scan duration.
Some information on your system might help, operating system, CPU, RAM ?

I never use the displayed scan speed as it fluctuates, but use the data scanned and scan duration for my overall scan speed. I do a Quick scan with these settings (image) and with Heuristic sensitivity at High and Use code emulation. Last quick scan was 3min 3sec for 5.6GB, last Full scan, same basic settings but it scans all drives, 9min 34sec for 20.7GB. My system spec in my signature.

Have you run any previous scans using avast before installing avast 8 ?

How did you remove A V G ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security