Author Topic: Where is the IE Security Plug-in Located?  (Read 2924 times)

plsrepli

Where is the IE Security Plug-in Located?
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
Hello all,

Its listed as installed (Avast 8.0.1482) but I can't find it! See images below for more information:

So, does anyone know where this security plug-in resides? I hope its not that WebRep BHO plug-in because that got disabled when I disabled WebRep.

Thanks for your help,

plsrepli

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Where is the IE Security Plug-in Located?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
You have disabled WebRep in IE 10. Therefore it shouldn't show up in the IE GUI.
As far as protection goes you have all of the resident shields in place.
WebRep is based on popularity and not on security. Don't worry you are quite well protected.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

plsrepli

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
Please stick to one thread.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116467.msg903866#msg903866

I didn't make two threads. That must have happened when the Avast forum was barely accessible last night and I kept getting a "server reset" everytime I tried to submit this issue.

plsrepli

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »
You have disabled WebRep in IE 10. Therefore it shouldn't show up in the IE GUI.
As far as protection goes you have all of the resident shields in place.
WebRep is based on popularity and not on security. Don't worry you are quite well protected.  :)

Hello,

So, are you saying that Webrep and the IE Security Plug-in are "one and the same?" That would be confusing because if you throw in the "phishing filter" and try and find that, I wonder where I should look? Ok, WebRep is disabled and I'm protected.

Thanks for your help!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »
You can have the security plugin installed via Settings/ Browser Intergration which will provide you Phishing protection.

If you don't want or need WebRep then that alone can be disabled via Settings/ WebRep & Antiphishing.

plsrepli

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
You can have the security plugin installed via Settings/ Browser Intergration which will provide you Phishing protection.

If you don't want or need WebRep then that alone can be disabled via Settings/ WebRep & Antiphishing.

Hi craigb,

That's exactly what I have done; however, my original question still remains but I'll try to put it in different terms:

Why doesn't the Security Plug-in show up (anywhere) in IE10? Is it just hidden from view and that's the way its supposed to be?