Author Topic: A Bit Unsure It's Working Properly  (Read 2230 times)

Minkiesmum

A Bit Unsure It's Working Properly
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
I'm struggling as I get an error message from my Windows Vista PC's security centre. I am not sure what you look after and what you don't but under "spyware and other malware protection" that is ticked fine and running. But under "virus protection" it's highlighted red and say Avast Antivirus Reports are turned off" and when I hit turn it on now it flashes up an option screen and I hit 'yes, I trust this programme' and nothing at all happens.
So am I safe right now ? It scares the pants off me when there's a red alert !!!
Thanks guys for all the hard work and for keeping it free. It's a massive help.
By the way, I NEVER touch any of the settings. I download updates and leave well alone so I've not been fiddling with stuff, I promise !

Lynda~

true indian

Re: A Bit Unsure It's Working Properly
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
Is there any exclamation or X mark on the avast icon in the tray??

refer to: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.0

Minkiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
No, no exclamation mark.
I see these instructions but I get as far as opening the Control Panel and I'm stymied as I don't have Admin Tools listed and I've looked under a couple of other menus and it's not there, nor is Management Instrumentation-I'd have remembered THAT one !! So should I just go direct and find them under the system 32 thing itself and delete what you say ? It scares the crap out of me to delete anything as all prior updates haven't meant I need to alter stuff and I'm not that au fait with stuff-can you tell ??

Thanks for answering.
Lynda~

true indian

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »
If I am right here, you should find it this way...

control panel>>system and security>>administrator tools  ;D

Minkiesmum

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
Under control panel there were both, not lumped together so system and security options. Nightmare !!!
HOWEVER, this morning when I logged in it popped up with an Avast message telling me to download an Air update, again something I've never had to do with Avast. I use Air for Twitter applications is all usually. Anyway, did it and now all my lights are green and AOK !!
So let's hope that was it. The only other difference is my machine is slow beyond belief today.......so I'm hoping this is just a coincidence.
Thankyou for your help.

Lynda~
:)