Author Topic: How to stop blocking specific application connections  (Read 7230 times)

Pirs01

How to stop blocking specific application connections
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
Hello,

I'm using Avast free. When I installed a new application and ran it for first time I was asked by Avast whether to allow it to open connections. I chose to block it. Now I don't want to block it anymore.

However ridiculous it may sound I find it impossible to learn how to do this?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: How to stop blocking specific application connections
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »
Try a repair.  Control Panel>Programs and Features>Uninstall>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Pirs01

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
Is this a joke? Seriously, I can't tell.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »
No it is not a joke.  :)
Try it...really!  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Pirs01

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »
You mean reboot Avast or the machine?

Making sure because it'll be pain full for me to reboot the machine right now.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
Is it the avast! Behavior Shield or AutoSandbox pop ups ? If yes go to the interface > security > paths i said (AutoSandbox is in the File System Shield) > Settings.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:48:04 PM by Mr.Agent »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
You mean reboot Avast or the machine?
Your computer.  :)

Pirs01

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »
Mr.Agent:
I don't remember but I don't think it was any of that. It has to do with socket connections. I don't want the app to connect to internet but now I need it to work with some other software and it's not working. I think it's because they talk using sockets which I blocked but can't be sure because the damn Avast has no damn relevant panel to monitor this.

I guess setting up so that it can connect locally or only with specific ports or protocols won't even be possible?

Para-Noid:
Why the workaround? I mean what is this?! If I have to go into all that trouble I might as well trade Avast for some other soft that will work for me and not the other way around.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:53 PM »
Oops sorry I just posted ais data

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
Para-Noid:
Why the workaround? I mean what is this?! If I have to go into all that trouble I might as well trade Avast for some other soft that will work for me and not the other way around.
It's not a work around. It's quick and totally painless.
With all due respect by the time the thread got this long you could have been done.  8)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
With all due respect by the time the thread got this long you could have been done
yepp....it takes about two minutes.   :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »
With all due respect by the time the thread got this long you could have been done
yepp....it takes about two minutes.   :)

And to think about all the repairs and clean installs I did during each of the beta tests since v5.1  ??? ::)
Not to mention all of the troubles DavidR had with v8.0 beta. Glad I wasn't him.  :)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 12:20:37 AM »
Socket Connections ok is it this you mean ? Look at the picture of Essex and look in Firewall > Network Connections.

Edit : lol its for IS sorry... Well i hope Essex can help you, because i dont understand what you mean.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:25:30 AM by Mr.Agent »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 12:52:41 AM »
Did my suggestion work?  ???

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 01:34:14 AM »
Mr.Agent:
I don't remember but I don't think it was any of that. It has to do with socket connections. I don't want the app to connect to internet but now I need it to work with some other software and it's not working. I think it's because they talk using sockets which I blocked but can't be sure because the damn Avast has no damn relevant panel to monitor this.

I guess setting up so that it can connect locally or only with specific ports or protocols won't even be possible?

Para-Noid:

It sounds like you are using Avast Internet Security.  If so, go to the firewall Application Rules and delete any entries for the program you now want to allow access.  When you run the program again,  AIS Firewall will (depending on how you have it set) either allow the connection or ask for permissions.  I have the firewall to alert me when it creates a new firewall rule.  You can also modify the packet rules.  You could mess with the existing block rule for the program but AIS is very good at setting the proper rules for programs.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner