Author Topic: What is Google-Analytics and why is it always in my network shields?  (Read 6032 times)

Offline EmoHobo

I don't use any google products or any google sites, but everytime I check avast it's always the most recent thing scanned in my network shields as it shows up everytime I go to the security tab in Avast 8.

Just curious as to what it is as from what I've tried to learn about it google analytics is an information collection section of google that sells that information to advertisers and what not.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: What is Google-Analytics and why is it always in my network shields?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:20:42 AM »
Google-analytics.com has their link embedded in most sites we visit.  It's even on this forum, so I would expect it to be shown as monitored by Avast as the page loads in the browser.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »
I have it blocked on my browser through various means, it only shows up on when I switch to the Avast security tab.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 02:10:55 AM »
I have it blocked on my browser through various means, it only shows up on when I switch to the Avast security tab.

AdBlock Plus in Firefox has http://www.google-analytics.com/* (1) as it's most active filter, so it's blocking it for me also.  NoScript is also not allowing permissions.  However, it being embedded on the site may mean that Avast still scans the page, although I'm not sure about that part.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »
Google Analytics is the web standard of webpage tracking. More information can be found here: http://www.google.com/analytics/

It is usually recommended to leave the Google Analytics site unblocked, as there isn't really a valid reason to block it.

I've provided an example of the data us webmasters are given. See attached.
~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

UserA789

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:18:34 AM »
Google Analytics is the web standard of webpage tracking. More information can be found here: http://www.google.com/analytics/

It is usually recommended to leave the Google Analytics site unblocked, as there isn't really a valid reason to block it.

I've provided an example of the data us webmasters are given. See attached.
~!Donovan
Avast IS NOT a website.  It has been discovered that the UI usesw Google Analytics.  So we aren't just seeing web pages getting scanned.  We are seeing google product and Alwil Security Product interact with one another with nothing in the TOS on it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:15 PM »
Actually, avast! UI is basically web pages - some of them stored locally inside the program, some of them remotely on our servers - so it's the "usual" way how Google Analytics is used, there is no special interaction.