Author Topic: Win32:Fake-Vimes-B[Trj] in process 1776 [cmdagent.exe] in Windows 8. Please help  (Read 2528 times)

nigel_root

I'd be really grateful if you can help please. Yesterday morning and this morning an avast scan reveals 2 infections of this virus. Yesterday I removed two unscannable files (Google Earth data and recycle bin) after using boot scans, then a scan declared the PC clean. This morning they're back. Any ideas please? I've just upgraded to the latest avast, 130302-1 of 2nd March 2013.
Regards,
Nigel

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
what files are back?.....can you post a screenshot

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Win32:Fake-Vimes-B[Trj] in process 1776 [cmdagent.exe]
cmdagent.exe belongs to comodo firewall......have you installed comodo firewall with antivirus?

did you do a custom scan and change the default scan settings?.....and selected "scan memory"
scan memory setting will give some veird scan results, this is the second most asked question in this forum so lots of info if you search
short story....dont use the "scan memory" setting.
if you do not know the result then dont change default scan settings

Yesterday I removed two unscannable files
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected
avast is just giving you a scan error report that they could not be scanned for whatever reason avast gave

files that can not be scanned are the most asked question in this forum...so again lots of info if you search

nigel_root

Thanks for your help. I have Comodo installed, but do not use 'Internet security', their antivirus product. Apart from replacing Comodo with another firewall and retesting is there any way to find out please? I take your point that unscannable files do not mean files containing viruses. But I don't understand your point about not scanning memory: surely if a virus is in memory that's the most dangerous place it can be. I'm partially reassured by your suggestion that these 2 viruses apparently in memory are false positives but shouldn't avast work to minimise the number of false positives?
Regards,
Nigel

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

nigel_root

Thanks for your replies.
Regards,
Nigel