Author Topic: Invalid license key for second user on Win XP  (Read 4236 times)

TeRanEX

Invalid license key for second user on Win XP
« on: September 06, 2004, 08:34:13 PM »
I have a problem with the license key.
I'm using Windows XP Pro (SP1) and have two users (i'll call them A and B). Both users have admin rights. I installed avast using the account of user A, registered for a license key and successfully entered that license key, so for user A avast works perfect. But when i log-on as user B avast asks for a license key. When i try to enter the same license key as for user A it says the key is invalid. But also when i register for a new license key avast tells me that the key is invalid. How can i solve this problem, because also user B should be protected against viruses ofcourse...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Invalid license key for second user on Win XP
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:21:47 AM »
Using two accounts with administrator rights will bring trouble with a lot of softwares  :'(
I think you must logon as ADMINISTRATOR (not a common account with administrator rights) and install there if you want to keep your system with 2 users with these rights.
Anyway, you will have to test as, generally, just one admin account is enough, the others can be advanced users  8)
The best things in life are free.

BlitzenZeus

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 01:08:20 AM »
I've never logged in with my 'administrator' account, I've only used my user admin account for these uses, and use my power user account for normal use.  I'm running XP Pro fully aware, and capable of using the real administrator account for everyday use if I want, I just prefer to never use it except for system recovery.  I would never give another person administrator rights on my computer however, I don't want them to install software without my permission, or even allow something malicious by their ignorance/stupidity to take over my computer.

This entire issue would seem to be how Avast stores the registration key if it can't read it from all user profiles once already registered.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 01:31:20 AM by BlitzenZeus »

TeRanEX

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 08:36:42 AM »
With an account with limited right I have problems with the internet. So I gave the other account also admin rights. I've already tried to make an new account (limited rights) when avast was already installed, but I had the same problem with the license code. Also with the guestaccount...

Pio47

Re: Invalid license key for second user on Win XP
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 08:39:17 AM »
What is THE solution to this problem I also have ?

Thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Invalid license key for second user on Win XP
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 04:22:06 PM »
What is THE solution to this problem I also have ?

Did you convert your system from FAT32 to NTFS file system?
I have a system with more than just the administrator account... I have never a problem with the registry key...
Are you using the Home or the Professional version?
XP Home or Pro? SP2 installed?
The best things in life are free.