Author Topic: Trouble Connecting to the Internet after installing Avast 4.6 Home Edition  (Read 3187 times)

dallascowboys_rp

I can't connect to the internet while running Avast On-Access Protection.  I get an error that explorer can't access the home page website.  When I turn off the Avast On-Access Protection, I connect to the internet just fine.

I'm running Windows XP and I've installed Service Pack 2.  I'm also using the XP firewall (no difference when I turn it off or on).  I connect to the internet via Bellsouth DSL.  I've been using Norton, but I decided to try Avast.  I turned off Norton prior to the installation.  Avast has loaded fine and the current VPS file is dated 3/17/2005.  I've also run a complete virus scan of my hard drive.  I just can't connect to the internet when I'm using the Avast antivirus protection.

Thanks to anyone that can help me with this problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I turned off Norton prior to the installation.

It's not the best way to get avast...
NAV is very incompatible with avast. You'll have trouble, even disabling... I do recommend uninstall NAV, clean the regitry and more (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12169.0).
Did you boot after avast installation? Do you use Norton Firewall?
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
dallascowbys_rp,

can you please try to terminate the Web Shield provider and see if it helps? If not, please have a look into the taskmanger - do you see the ashWebSv.exe process to be running when the Web Shield provider should be stopped?

thanks
Lukas.

dallascowboys_rp

Thanks for everyone's help.  I went ahead and uninstalled Norton, and then reinstalled Avast.  It works fine now.  I was hedging my bets I guess.  Norton sure was a pain to uninstall (had to do it manually per Symantec's instructions since it was bombing in the control panel uninstall).  I hate Norton.  I hope Avast works better.

Once again, thanks for the help.