Author Topic: Blue Screens of Death  (Read 13379 times)

ddalbiez

Re: Blue Screens of Death
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
I could not find Avast Internet Suite on oldapps, just the Antivirus. Could you point at the Avast Internet Suite 7,
Thanks.

You can first install avast free version then via the maintainence tab>>registration in the UI insert the lisence of Internet security and it should automatically upgrade to v7 IS I guess
@trueindian
Thanks
@walt baby luv
You have your solution, now

vineyridge

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 03:02:35 AM »
So far today, I've had no blue screens. 

I had installed an ASUS utility called Turbo Key which I was not using.  (I'm too dumb to figure out overclocking).  I uninstalled that and have had no BSODs since.  Fingers crossed that may have solved the problem. 

Time will tell.  I'll keep you guys up to date on whether any more appear.  I did have one more 8E after my last post, which also referenced the same address and an avast module.  But none since removing Turbo Key.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57:37 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

glenisb

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 07:44:52 AM »
I updated today to version 8.0.1482.  I have the paid version of Avast and I'm on Win7.  I've bluescreened twice today. 

true indian

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
I updated today to version 8.0.1482.  I have the paid version of Avast and I'm on Win7.  I've bluescreened twice today.

upload the BSOD's dumps to ftp.avast.com/incoming

dumps should be in : C:\windows\minidumps

give them a unique name and specify name in this topic..

also this can help: http://youtu.be/V2dBAQFETbA

After that do a clean reinstall of avast!:
1. Download avast! Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.

glenisb

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »
Oh - I used the new "Generate Support Package" feature under the Support tab.  I uploaded the zip file when Avast asked if I wanted too - I said OK  The file was named 20130306_0659_2766053171.zip 

I think the problem/ conflict in my case is Dragon NaturallySpeaking v12.5 - that seems to hang and then BSOD.

I hesitate to do the uninstall/reinstall at this stage because I have 3 computers to do.  I might wait a day or 2 and see if there is an update

ddalbiez

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
I just got an answer on BSOD on XP SP3, ZA free firewall and Avast 8. In my ticket, I had mentioned that I had to downgrade to Avast 7 and that everything was back,t normal. Attached to my ticket were 5 minidumps 
Avast support (French support, helpdesk in Prague) answer is:
"Avast 7 and ZA are not compatible, using them together is discouraged."
I am amazed by this asinine answer and the lack of professionalism of he help desk, at least the first level.   
Hundreds of user are using Avast 7 and ZA free firewall without problems.

true indian

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
yes but with avast v8 ZA isnt working correctly...the reason of conflict is ZA not Avast v8

ddalbiez

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »
yes but with avast v8 ZA isnt working correctly...the reason of conflict is ZA not Avast v8
This is not accurate. Since you get a BSOD  when you upgrade Avast to version 8, it seems Avast is guilty. The Avast upgrade causes the issue. Avast has introduced some code / driver in their new version that makes it incompatible with Za free firewall. Avast 7 works fine with ZA free firewall.
I understand you are a fan of Avast, so am I. It's not a reason to twist facts to lead to the conclusion you would prefer.
I want to keep both ZA and Avast.

Captain Wonderful

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
Today I got the blue screen while watching a video. I couldn't get back to normal mode. I ran my Kaspersky rescue disk. No malware. I started again, and now have normal mode back. Immediately that it booted up, I got a pop up from Avast saying my trial of Pro version Avast 8 was expired, and no more updates for me. I Had the free version, not the Pro!! I go to this forum, and see these blue screen topics. Could Avast be the cause? Should I uninstall and go back to the 7? Where do I find the uninstall tool mentioned? I have windows vista.  Thanks!

glenisb

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »
This is not accurate. Since you get a BSOD  when you upgrade Avast to version 8, it seems Avast is guilty. The Avast upgrade causes the issue. Avast has introduced some code / driver in their new version that makes it incompatible with Za free firewall. Avast 7 works fine with ZA free firewall.
I understand you are a fan of Avast, so am I. It's not a reason to twist facts to lead to the conclusion you would prefer.
I want to keep both ZA and Avast.
So you have The free versions of Avast and ZoneAlarm and you are complaining that Avast doesn't work with ZoneAlarm?  Upgrade to the paid version of Avast and you get a firewall.

ddalbiez

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 11:44:25 PM »
So you have The free versions of Avast and ZoneAlarm and you are complaining that Avast doesn't work with ZoneAlarm? 
Yes. I complain about Avast 8, not Avast in general.
Upgrade to the paid version of Avast and you get a firewall.
No, Avast's firewall component is poor quality
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:58:51 AM by ddalbiez »

glenisb

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »
I'm less and less impressed with the latest version of Avast Pro. 

Not only does it shut down Dragon Naturally Speaking randomly losing all my work and locking me out of DNS so I have to reboot but it also shuts down Explorer and Emails are taking much longer to send too.

You obviously ran a beta on this so I'm surprised there are so many problems.  i can forgive free software being a bit glitchy because the price is right.  After using it for a year for free I paid for this as I wanted to support the on-going work at Avast but it's my only AV protection so when it's failing all the time I don't have any other options.

Up to this point I've been a very happy customer because it just works and I've never had a virus (good job) and I don't have to dicker around with it.  It just works - or I should say - worked. 

I sincerely hope that the team are working on the issues that everyone is reporting and there will be an upgrade momentarily.

vineyridge

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »
Well, the BSOD are back.  Every one has implicated Avast per Blue Screen View.  I would copy the information and send it to avast, but I can't quite figure out how to do it.  There is a file implicated in the last two that hasn't showed up before.  It's fltMgr.sys.  All but one of the recent errors have referenced the same address as either parameter 2 or parameter 4.

I've turned off all my start up items, and in services, I've hidden the Microsoft services and cleared every single one EXCEPT the Avast UI won't clear.  When I try to clear I get a message that my access is denied and I need to use a computer administrator account.  Problem with that message is that I AM using the only computer administrator account that's been set up on this computer.  I can't seem to find the plain Adminstrator (no name and not connected to me) on the user list.

How the heck do I manage to turn off Avast in the services menu?

At the moment, I running the computer with everything BUT avast turned off.  If I could turn Avast off I would and do multiple selective restarts.  The problem is that the computer starts and runs as normal, and out of the blue, a BSOD will appear.  So I have to just run until the screen appears or doesn't appear.

StephanieH.

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 03:50:58 AM »
It looks like a lot of people are getting trouble with Avast 8, not only with XP but also with windows 7 and 8.

I have windows 7 and i had BSOD (twice). I went back to avast 7 but i don't know if that's the best option.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:59:08 AM by StephanieH. »