Author Topic: No Registration for Avast 8  (Read 13281 times)

D J Sheridan

No Registration for Avast 8
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:51:14 AM »
Upgraded to 8 but it states my registration is due to retire in 28 days time.
So I registered again and the following instructional email was sent to me:-

Dear avast! user,

We have received your request to re-send your avast! Free license.

Your license key is:

To insert your license key, please follow the instructions below:

1. Highlight the license key above, then right click on it and select "Copy"

2. Open your avast Free Antivirus and select the Maintenance" tab on the left side. Then select "Registration"

3. Click the "Insert the license key" button at the bottom of the screen.

4. Right click in the empty Registration box then select "Paste"

5. Click "OK". Your license key is now inserted and the program can now be used free of charge for a further 12 months.

If you experience any difficulties inserting the license key, please click here for more help:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=459

** Important notice **

Please note that under the license conditions avast! Free Antivirus is for home, personal and non-commercial use only. Commercial versions of avast! can be found at:

http://www.avast.com

Thank you for choosing avast! antivirus.

The AVAST Software team

BUT!!!!!
There is no registration button as when you press it it asks for a file on your computer and not a field box to insert the key.

Even the link for the video tutorial doesn't work either!

Can someone please help out?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:02:14 AM by D J Sheridan »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: No Registration for Avast 8
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »
Not wise to publish your license on a publicly available forum, I suggest you modify your post and remove it.

You should have been able to register/re-register from within the avastUI, Maintenance, Registration.

What does it say in the Red box (see image, click to expand) of your Registration window ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

D J Sheridan

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:05:41 AM »
Hi there,
Sorry - realised the key bit (now taken off...)

It says 38 days remaining, but the email suggests you can add the license key in, but it just takes me to a search screen off my pc...
Or will it only come into effect once the expiry date has come?

Very annoyed that Avast keeps causing problems like this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:38:33 AM »
OK, when it gets down to 30 or 28 days from expiry the Registration section changed to allow you to renew from within the user interface (avastUI). No need to fill in a registration form and wait to get an email sent with the key, all done within the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LucB

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:00:35 PM »
My status is expired and there still is no way to paste the licence I got emailed to me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
Six days ago you said it had 28 days left, then 5 days ago you said it has 38 days remaining, how can it have expired ?

Colour me confused, as I said in my last post the Registration section doesn't change until you have 30 or 28 days remaining to display a Register Now button.

If it is expired than the free version should have a Register Now button above the above the Insert License File, button (which isn't for the free version but upgrading to a paid version) ?

Can you A) confirm that you have the avast free version and not a trial version and B) do a screenshot of the avastUI > Maintenance > Registration screen ?

LucB

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
You confuse me with another user.  I can't install the free version because even if I choose it I get the Pro trial.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:32:56 PM by LucB »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
Ah that can happen when you jump into someone else's topic.

You are not going to have that option to manually insert the free license in the Pro trial, you will need to uninstall that and install the free version that should have the option (see image).

It would be preferable to do a clean reinstall - Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1483 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will reguest it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.