Author Topic: Is there a way to down Grade to 4.5 due to system reboots and network issues.  (Read 20350 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Hi cehes,

first, it doesn't surprise me much that it doesn't crash any more when doing the scan. Unfortunately, that doesn't really mean anything. The thing is, the switch effectively moved the scanning routine from kernel mode to user mode. In kernel mode, every problem results in a blue screen. In user mode, at most the app crashes (but doesn't even have to crash).

It's quite obvious that you have been seeing the crashes to happen in aavmker4.sys - because that's where the avast kernel-mode scanner takes place. And, since an antivirus is usually one of the most CPU intensive tasks in the whole system (unless you're using AutoCAD or 3DStudioMAX on a regular basis :) - or at least playing Doom III) - in fact probably the most intensive - it's no wonder that a hardware problem usually occurs when running avast's (kernel-mode) code. :)

About the etymology of the words alwil/avast, please see e.g. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1358.0 :)

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

cehes

Hey, you're working the week-end  :o

Thanks for your reply, explanation is OK.
I'll wait to have my computer stable, and then try to put the .ini at normal....

What i could say is that i tested my computer with oct (one on the most intensive cpu burning test) and had no crash... Then i'm not sure that this is the cpu utilization of avast that make it crash ! I have now really fewer crashed since i altered the .ini file.
That would have been good to have news from the one that open this post and that seems to have the same problem...

Well just wait that my computer comes back to normal stability and..... i'll be back  ;D

once again, many, many thanks for all your work !
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 11:29:24 AM by cehes »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I tested my computer with oct (one on the most intensive cpu burning test) and had no crash...

I tried to Google unsucessfully...
Can you post a link for this test?
The best things in life are free.

cehes

http://occt.ocbase.com/

I was talking about occt, not oct, sorry !

This software is really good, because this is not only a burning test, but it also detect computing error, that is why this test sometimes failed where other burning test tells everything is ok.
This is a "must have" for overclocker !

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks, Cehes... I've tried but unsucessfully again. I can't find the link to download, just text lines...
Is there any english version of it?
Thanks, anyway.

cehes

doh !
You never rest at Alwil  :P , always online  :o

Here is a direct link
http://www.ocbase.com/OpenBeta/OCCTv0.91.exe

HTH

P.S. : i'll be out these next days, don't worry if i do not reply quikly...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 05:36:32 PM by cehes »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
You never rest at Alwil  :P , always online  :o

Did you ever find a best forum to be logged?  ;D ;)

cehes

lol !

edit : did you find occt ? If yes, did you try it ?

Really a good tool
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 05:01:55 PM by cehes »

99johsmi

I have had the exact same problems, i am uploading you a complete system dump. I have called it Jsmith.zip for you so you know its mine. Same errors exactly. Running on a HP Pavilion ZD7377EA Laptop. XP Home SP2 all updates etc...

I have now removed Avast as i cannot use the laptop it is that bad! So i have put Norton on to keep me going, but a fix would be nice!

John

cehes

in fact my problem was due to a bad memory (even if memtest found no errors) and a weak power supply, now that i have a lc power 420w and corsair valueram this is really ok even with overclocking...

HTH

99johsmi

My problems only started when i installed Avast, and then have since stopped since removing it

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Unfortunately, the file (jsmith.zip) did not upload in its entirety. To start, could you send me the newest .mdmp file from the \windows\minidump folder? It should be only 64K in size so you can easily send it to me by email...

Thanks
Vlk

99johsmi

my machine unfortunatly has never been set to make mini-dumps, as a Network Administrator i know that a complete dump is more useful. It crashed with the same error as usual during uploading i have found. I have copied the zip to a different machine and will upload it with that as it is as stable as a rock

John

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Thanks. I see it coming up here right now... ;)
BTW AFAIK a  minidump is always generated by WinXP when a _full_ dump is requested (i.e. both full and a mini dump is generated). Are you sure it's not there?

Thanks Vlk

99johsmi

i am afraid not, no minidumps there, never mind eventually you will get the full one