Author Topic: Got "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine"  (Read 69235 times)

claivchord93

Re: Got "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine"
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »
I have tried both what you said and what max-support said, but nothing helps.
Yesterday I updated to Avast! Free Anti-virus 8, but today when I tried to run some 3-d games(NBA 2k13 & NFS17), I got a "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine" error.
What can I do with this?   :(
Thank you!

Hi, please check version of your \Windows\System32\drivers\aswVmm.sys file.
If the version is later than 8.0.1482.45, then just restart your machine and it should be OK.
If the version is 8.0.1482.45 then execute patch:
http://files.avast.com/files/emupdate/20130304.exe
as administrator. It will replace your aswVmm.sys with version 8.0.1482.47. Then restart computer.

hbang

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
same here, no solution yet

zachster

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »
Also, when attempting to make alterations to that folder, permissions are locked down, so it can't be updated with the patches that have been suggested here (even when run as admin), I even tried just giving myself write access, still can't replace the file. I didn't want to dive deep on permissions because I was afraid I could screw up something or leave myself vulnerable to attack.

max-support

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
Also, when attempting to make alterations to that folder, permissions are locked down, so it can't be updated with the patches that have been suggested here (even when run as admin), I even tried just giving myself write access, still can't replace the file. I didn't want to dive deep on permissions because I was afraid I could screw up something or leave myself vulnerable to attack.

waouh boys...! let me post it again :
problem solved following exactly that procedure:

BTW, after patching you will have 2 files in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers:
  • a new aswVmm.sys (v 8.0.1482.47)
  • a aswvmm.sys.sum

zachster

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
I have done that exactly, nothing happens when I run the exe, no message, no error, and no update to the file when follow the directions exactly. And by disable self defense I assume you mean avast pro 8 completely?

true indian

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »
I have done that exactly, nothing happens when I run the exe, no message, no error, and no update to the file when follow the directions exactly. And by disable self defense I assume you mean avast pro 8 completely?

yes you got it!  ;D

max-support

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »

No, only writing about Avast! 8 free version 8.01482
Disable only Self defense module (in Avast! 8 settings)

Do you see files mentionned aswVmm.sys (v 8.0.1482.47) and aswvmm.sys.sum in your in your C:\Windows\System32\drivers?

if not, :-X

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »

To disable Avast Self Defense, open Avast interface and click on the Settings in the upper right hand corner.  Go to Troubleshooting at the bottom and uncheck "Enable avast! self defense module".  Then attempt the replacement and it should be successful.  Don't forget to enable self defense module when done.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

alexlime

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:57:28 PM »
I can't believe in that! 3 days long I cannot run my games... (( And NOBODY knows how to fix it?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:18:28 AM by alexlime »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
Strange I have avast! 8 running very well on a Virtualbox XP 32 bits...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »
There will be new build available today containing fixed version of aswVmm and also resolving conflict with Zone Alaram.

I can't believe in that! 3 days long I cannot run my games... And NOBODY knows how to fix it. Bloody avast.
Do developers know about that problem? I NEED ANY swearing SOLUTION. All these crap patches do f*** nothing

user_1000

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
(snip)
"No hw virtualization available" is actually not a problem, because Avast is using virtualization extensions of CPU to help protect your computer. If other virtualization SW is detected (like VirtualBox/VmWare), this feature is automatically disabled to not interfere with other VMM.

I would like to know... Is there a possibility to manually disable that? And also what component/shield of Avast is using virtualization extensions of CPU?

true indian

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »
There will be new build available today containing fixed version of aswVmm and also resolving conflict with Zone Alaram.

You mean a new program update release?? or a internal fix via VPS??

-------

Guys,Please be patient avast team is looking and trying their level best to keep up resolving the issues.

alexlime

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Ok, I have updated my Avast IS today and there is no fix after it. Same problem, nothing changed.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:17:52 AM by alexlime »

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
Hi alexlime, I am going to investigate this issue, can you please procade your CPU specs? Also, currently there is no way in GUI to disable this feature but you can use registry hack:

1) Disable self defense
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\AswVmm and change "Start" value to 4
3) Enable self defense
4) Reboot

Thanks

Ok, I have updated my Avast IS today and there is no fix after it. Same problem, nothing changed.
So guys who has the same problem - there is only one solution:
Delete Avast 8 and install any other software

P.S I was using Avast for ~ 5 years, maybe more... And 8 version update is the biggest fail that developers have made.