Author Topic: No visualisation of pause provider  (Read 5350 times)

r_du_neuf_trois

No visualisation of pause provider
« on: September 14, 2003, 05:35:15 PM »
This short message, there's no way to see that a provider is paused which can sometimes be dangerous. For example, I pause the standard shield while running Ad-aware to run it faster and, of course, most of the times I forget to restart the protection.
Maybe you could change the Avast icon to show not all the providers are running.
Anyway, I'm very satisfied with Avast. I was used to work with MacAfee VirusScan for years, but I had to change as, form time to time, it took the whole memory and the system ran very slow.
Best regards.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:No visualisation of pause provider
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 05:38:32 PM »
Well currently the icon changes to grey if there is no provider active (all are paused; or waiting for a subys to start; or stopped). It's really hard to visualize this properly as there is a number of providers, and not everyone wants to run all of 'em...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 07:31:57 AM »
Vlk,

Since the providers are listed in a specific order on the configuration screen, can the icon include a column of dots representing which are running (green dot) and which are not (red dot)?  

Regards,
Hornus

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 08:09:09 AM »
Sounds like something doable ;)

FYI the providers in the list are sorted alphabetically, but started go first (ie. all running/waiting/paused provs are above inactive provs).

Thanks for the tip.
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 08:29:04 AM »
Vlk,

Thanx for the reply.  For the icon to provide the maximum information at a glance, the list on the configuration screen would have to be in a fixed order.   A glance at the icon would show which providers are active, removing the necessity of displaying the screen to make this determination.  But, there is considerable merit to listing the active providers first, and I recognize that others may prefer it.  The former is my preference , but I can live with the latter since the goal is to remind the user that a temporarily deactivated provider is not running.

Another thought, a yellow dot could denote a provider that is paused or waiting.

Hornus
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 08:31:25 AM by Hornus Continuum »

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 09:37:12 AM »
Hi Vlk,

if you decide to go for the color dots, please make it as an option :) Some of us may prefer the simple icon only ;)

r_du_neuf_trois

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 08:49:31 AM »
Hum, I don't see any change in the providers list order when, for example, the sandard shield is paused. Or maybe I don't look at the right place, or this list is only changed when a provider is stopped.
Stopping a provider is an act which supposes the user is  responsible.
My problem is that I pause a provider, to make some stuff, and naturally I FORGET to unpause it after.
Even if the list would change, which is not the case, the user has to click somwhere, so this means he KNOWS something is paused.
Having an immediate visualization of a non standard working mode would be very useful.
Regards.