Author Topic: can i get avast to stop having a popup window telling me its retrieving info  (Read 12605 times)

robert26

can i get avast 8 internet security t to stop having a popup window telling me its retrieving information? Every hour or so it shows a poup on the middle of the screen telling me avast is retrieving information. Im on silent gaming mode but it still tells me this every now and again

Is there a way to disable the popup?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
A screenshot of the popup might help as it isn't something that I'm aware of ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

robert26

A screenshot of the popup might help as it isn't something that I'm aware of ?

robert26

bump

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
There is no information to work with so bumping won't do anything, a screenshot of the popup as asked for could help us to help you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
By the time he gets to that "screen" there should be an "avast" icon on the desktop.   ???
It appears that avast was not installed properly.
The OP should try a clean install.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

kewlzter

you do realize that the icon on the desktop is just a shortcut that you can delete right? I dont have an Avast icon on my desktop because i deleted it as soon as the installer put it there.

kewlzter

I'm having the SAME problem, and so far there is no information about this anywhere but here.  I too have a gaming machine and this popup interferes with my experience.  Right now, i have Disabled Avast altogether, using a startup manager, then re-enable it weekly for a scan. But this is not an ideal solution.

robert26

There is no information to work with so bumping won't do anything, a screenshot of the popup as asked for could help us to help you.

By the time he gets to that "screen" there should be an "avast" icon on the desktop.   ???
It appears that avast was not installed properly.
The OP should try a clean install.  :)

i did provide a sreenshot u cant see it, try this link

http://s24.postimage.org/70vcetapf/bbb.png

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No couldn't see the link to that screen shot in your second post, I can see it now.

It looks more like an initialising type issue that doesn't seem to complete, hence constantly trying.

Try a repair of avast:
Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

robert26

thanx david i did that, lets hope it works. Its too early to tell but ill post tomorrow to let u know

robert26

Nah, it didnt work, i just saw the notice

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Rats, hopefully someone using AIS can shine some light on this.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have been speaking to a number of other AIS users and they aren't experiencing this repetitive "Retrieving Information, please wait..." pop-up in AIS.

Given that the repair didn't work the consensus is that you would be best doing a clean reinstall of avast 8 AIS. Now there is an update build 8.0.1483 out soon, direct link below.

- Download the latest version of avast AIS, 8.0.1483 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Update: I have just done an avast program update and for a fraction of a second I saw that pop-up, too quick for me to do a screen capture. But that is along the lines of what I mentioned before in Reply #9 above, this is similar in that I don't believe this function has stalled and no information is retrieved.

So I think proceeding with the clean reinstall is your preferred option.