Author Topic: Avast Software Updater  (Read 32367 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast Software Updater
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
Well, i got the Windows Update on my main system but not on laptop. Win8 OS. So it seems even Windows Updates are being spread evenly among users and thats why this gap.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:15 PM »
Same here win7 has a higher version than win8 but nowt on windows updates for me

dizky

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »
Like previous posters (even Baseman) I am also not impressed with this new feature and I look forward to being given the option to remove it. When will that update be available?

While Baseman was aggressive in his posting, I am of a similar viewpoint -- I am severely unimpressed with having this forced on me. Even after clicking the Disable button, it pops up again the next time I boot my laptop. That is the type of behaviour a virus uses :)

The last time Avast implemented a feature like this was the Sandbox. But at least that stayed off once I found out how to turn it off. I really don't need to be constantly nagged that every program I start up is a potential virus and should be loaded in isolation like it's some kind of leper. Likewise, as a reasonably technical person I'm perfectly capable of keeping my own software up to date.

If on the other hand you are trying to protect those with no tech skills, then I have to tell you, many are paranoid about popups getting them to install software or click a link. Nobody in their right mind should click "Install Now" from a popup. I've removed viruses off other people's laptops that were pretending to be Microsoft Security Essentials, warning people of risks and trying to trick them into installing software. This Software Updater is too similar.

It's a nice idea but it really needs to be an option and you need to tell people about it when they are upgrading so they know it's safe to interact with. And show them how to permanently disable/enable it.

Like Sandbox, I look forward to being able to permanently remove it before I snap and uninstall Avast in sheer frustration.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »
You can uninstall it now if you wish
Use the change option within add/remove (programs and features)

dizky

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Thank you, I have now done that and will check if it's fully gone after my next reboot.

By the way, now that I am a member of the forum I can see that there is an image in Reply 5. Before becoming a member, that reply just said "Uninstalling it" which is an inflammatory comment as it suggests we should uninstall Avast. Which of course none of us want to do. That may explain some of the earlier frustrations in the posts.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
'Tis true you will not see screenshots or attachments unless you are logged in..  I think near enough all forums are the same

reconsniper2269

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »
Im new here and im having problems wth my Avast Internet Security. I bought a 1 year protection plan but it didnt download it and now Avast is sending me all these messeges telling me im not protected. I have an order reference number. Anybody know what I can do????

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »
Did you receive an e-mail with an attachment ?
If so copy the attachment to your desktop
Then double click it

Smartik1

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 09:31:54 PM »
Seems like the issue with 32 bit Java versions saying preparing forever is now resolved, but ran into another problem with the versioning. Java 6 32bit says this

Local Version: 6.0.430.1
New Version: 6.0.390.4

Shouldn't the new one be the same or newer than local? Another issue I faced was when my local version was truly lower than the newer one, the "fix now" button instead of running the setup took me to Java 7 update 17 page. At the very least it should redirect to the page where the update is.

Either way I like the new feature and when these issues get fixed it will be a great way to keep everything up to date. It is nice that it doesn't nag about it, but if you choose to view the software update screen you get easy access to all the updates.

I also agree with dizky about the sandbox issue, it was really irritating and had to turn it off.

the_professor

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 10:27:31 PM »
The software updater is telling me that Adobe Reader is "installing".
I have restarted the computer and uninstalled and re-installed the software updater component to no avail.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

owsleyskid

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
It would be nice if I could tell the software updater that certain software installations should not be updated. I have an iPad, so I have iTunes on my Win7-64 PC for backups, but I only extract and run the installs for select components of iTunes update to avoid unwanted garbage like Bonjour. A "Don't Offer to Update this Program Again" check box would be ideal.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »
You can set to ignore, or go to the web page that is linked to download what you need

Some people like the software updater though http://betanews.com/2013/04/01/avast-internet-security-8-review/

Software Updater is a more promising addition, a handy tool which scans the software installed on your PC and then checks for any missing updates. While it doesn’t cover everything, there’s a sensible focus on the components which really matter -- browsers, Flash, Java, Adobe AIR, Adobe Reader, iTunes, uTorrent and so on -- and the program correctly detected and highlighted outdated software on our test PC, installing most new updates with a click.

We say “most” because there were occasional issues, as for instance all Chrome updates just failed with an error. But even here, Software Updater still helps, by first alerting you to the update, and then providing a “click here” link which takes you to a web page with more information. It’s definitely a positive addition to the suite, and we’ll be interested to see how it improves in future.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:44:17 PM by essexboy »

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
It would be nice if I could tell the software updater that certain software installations should not be updated. I have an iPad, so I have iTunes on my Win7-64 PC for backups, but I only extract and run the installs for select components of iTunes update to avoid unwanted garbage like Bonjour. A "Don't Offer to Update this Program Again" check box would be ideal.

It's already there.  Just click the "More Details" dropdown to the right of the program entry in question.  Then choose "Ignore Program".
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)