Author Topic: Avast Software Updater  (Read 32469 times)

DBenjamin85

Avast Software Updater
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:01 AM »
Hi,

I've not had any problems since updating to IS 8 but a moment ago I got a message concerning the software updater feature, it basically tells me that Chrome needs to update however when I click the button to fix nothing seems to happen.  I've tried to update going to the "About Chrome" section and it just seems to hang on 0% and not update for ages... then when I close Chrome and reopen the window doesn't open (I need to task manager the updater in order to get the window to open again).

I've tried repairing avast but it still seems to show Chrome on the updater page as "Available Updates" but "Fix Now" doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit and running avast internet security with it currently up to date.

DBenjamin85

Re: Avast Software Updater
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:40:43 AM »
Sorry, there must have been a delay or hold up with the update it seems to have updated now and with a rescan, Avast has confirmed that Chrome is fully up to date.

Apologies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »
Yes the software updater has its database updated during the virus definitions and engines update, so there can be a delay in that happening.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BaluBig

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »
Hi there,

Let me report a couple of issues with the updater, updating Java runtime on Win7 x64:
  • It reboots the system without asking for permission or giving any message. Not a good behaviour as for me.
  • After the update Azureus fails to start with the message below, it can be fixed with reinstalling Java using the installer downloaded from java.com

---------------------------
Error
No JVM could be found on your system.
Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME
to point to an installed 64-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from www.java.com.
OK   

Best regards - Serge.

east yorkie

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 01:27:19 PM »
I will add my question to this post if that is ok? 

If I disable the Software Updater it restarts itself on re-boot, is there any way that it can be stopped from restarting so it can be used as on demand only?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:16 AM »
I will add my question to this post if that is ok? 

If I disable the Software Updater it restarts itself on re-boot, is there any way that it can be stopped from restarting so it can be used as on demand only?
Uninstalling it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:46:22 PM »
It cannot be stopped at all.
Well, in fact it can... Disable Windows Updates...
But, who's crazy enough to keep all software not up-to-date? ???
The best things in life are free.

incubus0111

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:41:26 PM »
i think avast has over stepped its bounds by not giving the option to turn that crap off. who the hell needs an app to update your other apps. the pop up is terrible as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »
i think avast has over stepped its bounds by not giving the option to turn that cr*p off. who the hell needs an app to update your other apps. the pop up is terrible as well.

Avast is still one of the most configurable anti-viruses, if you don't want it you can uninstall the module (control panel, add remove programs, avast, uninstall/change) you don't want, as in Tech's image only three above yours.

So they aren't "over stepped its bounds by not giving the option to turn that cr*p off." Had you done a custom install you could also have chosen what modules to install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

incubus0111

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
Think what you may. The feature has its use.
 Not being able to turn it off in settings is silly.
 Stop should stop it till you are ready to start it again.
I have been using avast for years and have never taken issue with it's new features before.
Now i am on the forum what does that tell you.

IdontKnow1991

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
It cannot be stopped at all.
Well, in fact it can... Disable Windows Updates...
But, who's crazy enough to keep all software not up-to-date? ???

Hi, these processes aren't created by windows update. I have the same issue with these odd connections persisting after removal of the software updater which I tried to explain in this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116812.0 .

As a member of the avast team, could you please explain how these updates are implemented and why it uses svchost?

Is there anyway to get rid of these persistent connections without reformatting my hard drive?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:53:17 AM by IdontKnow1991 »

Baseman

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
i think avast has over stepped its bounds by not giving the option to turn that cr*p off. who the hell needs an app to update your other apps. the pop up is terrible as well.

Avast is still one of the most configurable anti-viruses, if you don't want it you can uninstall the module (control panel, add remove programs, avast, uninstall/change) you don't want, as in Tech's image only three above yours.

So they aren't "over stepped its bounds by not giving the option to turn that cr*p off." Had you done a custom install you could also have chosen what modules to install.

David is right.... YES, they DID over step their bounds! Who are you, and who are they... to decide what "extra" software gets installed on my systems? Do you pay for my systems? Does avast? Then they and you have NO say in what gets installed on them. Its bad enough this ridiculous updater was slipped in without warning... but the fact that it was initialized and running in the background without my knowledge or permission is inexcusable!! You may follow avast around with your head in the sand, but some of us look at this as a major breach of trust. Even on installs, avast has the courtesy to ask about installing chrome/google toolbar. There was NO choice when it came to this software updater when updating! And the choosing custom install excuse? FAIL! When a company adds something of this magnitude, you should be warned about it no matter WHICH type of install you choose!

And FYI.... when "updating"... there is no choice for custom install to prevent the updater from being installed. The only choices you have when "updating" from 7 to 8 is whether or not you want to go from free to paid, and whether or not to install google toolbar/chrome... THATS IT! There is NO choice and NO warning to avoid this stupid software installation when updating. Some of us are very capable of keeping our systems inline and updated, and dont need avast taking our systems over!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »
You seem to mistakenly think that the Software Updater is some kind of external, or even third party tool that was installed without asking. That's not the case - it's simply a new avast! feature, just like the AutoSandbox, for example; many new features have been introduced throughout the past years.
You installed avast! to prevent viruses infecting your system. Outdated software is the main way how computers get infected - so by making sure that the important software is updated (well, it's not really "making sure" - it's just suggesting, you don't have to install the updates), it protects your machine from infection - i.e. it's doing its job. It's always better to fix the holes into the system (by installing the updates) than trying to detect all the possible ways malware can use to exploit them; sure, we try, but updating is simply more reliable.

The next version will have an additional option to disable the feature - in the meantime, you can simply remove it, as Tech has shown.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:47:26 PM by igor »

Baseman

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
You seem to mistakenly think that the Software Updater is some kind of external, or even third party tool that was installed without asking. That's not the case - it's simply a new avast! feature, just like the AutoSandbox, for example; many new features have been introduced throughout the past years.
You installed avast! to prevent viruses infecting your system. Outdated software is the main way how computers get infected - so by making sure that the important software is updated (well, it's not really "making sure" - it's just suggesting, you don't have to install the updates), it protects your machine from infection - i.e. it's doing its job. It's always better to fix the holes into the system (by installing the updates) than trying to detect all the possible ways malware can use to exploit them; sure, we try, but updating is simply more reliable.

The next version will have an additional option to disable the feature - in the meantime, you can simply remove it, as Tech has shown.

No, I never said it was external or 3rd party, but thanks for twisting my words.

personally I dont care what excuse avast uses.... its WRONG! My software and how it updates is NONE of avasts business! therefore they do NOT have the right to install something AND initialize it, WITHOUT my permission. The fact that you all sit here and try to justify this is pathetic. Had avast put a screen at the BEGINNING of the update specifically saying "hey, we have come up with this new feature that may help you, do you WANT to install it and have it run automatically, and NOT be able to turn it off?".... if they had done that, I would have no problem. But as others have said, avast WAY over stepped their bounds here. It is NOT avasts decision how and when my software gets updated. While this may be of help to the PC illiterate people, it should still be a CHOICE!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »
But what "installation" are you talking about? avast! doesn't install anything itself - it just tells you that some of your programs are outdated (if it's the case) and suggests you to install an update. If you say you want to install the update and click the button, then the installation may start (or you're just redirected to the vendor's web page) - but not without your knowledge.

Yes, this new feature wasn't present in avast! previously... the same goes for other features, the UI was different, the protection was weaker etc. Yes, avast! changes a bit during program updates - just as any other software.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:26:11 PM by igor »