Author Topic: Should I be worried?  (Read 2519 times)

Jstore

Should I be worried?
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
As I was doing my daily quick scan I've noticed that when the scan had finished, avast told me that some files could not be scanned because  "The system cannot find the path specified".There are several files that weren't scanned because of this and most of them are .bin .dll and about 4-5.exes.
The name of the executable files are:
A0104771.exe
A0104791.exe
And a couple of other executables with similar names.
Should I be worried about this?
If not then could someone please tell me what is the purpose of these executable files and why they couldn't be scanned?
Oh and by the way after that scan I tried scanning again and there were no more errors of this kind or any other errors at all.
Thank you all in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »
"The system cannot find the path specified".
this scan error is usually gone if you rebot and scan again.   ;)

Jstore

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
"The system cannot find the path specified".
this scan error is usually gone if you rebot and scan again.   ;)
Yes but I'm wondering if there was a reason why it couldn't scan those files because I've done a search on the internet for the executable files and all of the posts seem to be related to malware.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
Yes but I'm wondering if there was a reason why it couldn't scan those files
yes...it could not find them
i guess the scan engine see a referens to those files but when it arrive there they are not there...
where they located in a temp folder?

if you suspect infection...run a avast and malwarebytes quick scan..
if you want more, then follow the "logs guide " at top in virus and worms forum section

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »
It should also tell you why a file can't be scanned in the scan log for all of the individual files. So was this "The system cannot find the path specified" for every file unable to be scanned ?

The two executable files are in the system volume information folder, part of system restore and the original file names are changed (into this file name format), but it retains the file type .exe, etc. So I wouldn't be concerned about what is found in a search as there are going to be other instances of these system restore generated file names.

Remember why the files are in this system volume information folder restore points, they have either previously been deleted or changed, etc. and this is saving them to a restore point. That said they should really still be there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security