Author Topic: Where does Software Updater saves the installers for updates?  (Read 7328 times)

MaxReed

The new feature Software Updater where does saves the installers for updates? I have updated flash player and java and I want to know if avast clear by himself the installer when the updating is completed.

happy avast user

Re: Where does Software Updater saves the installers for updates?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »
The new feature Software Updater where does saves the installers for updates? I have updated flash player and java and I want to know if avast clear by himself the installer when the updating is completed.
+ 1  I would also like to know the answer thank you.
Good question MaxReed

MaxReed

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
It would be important to know where the installers is stored by avast because for example in my pc ccleaner don't find them...Someone can answer me? Someone knows?

Offline sapient

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
I would also like to know, since avast seems to have mangled a download, so that the update for winrar is stuck at "preparing" for 2 days now. If I could find it and delete it, maybe avast would realize that I have actually manually updated the program since...

IdontKnow1991

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:00:18 AM »
I would also like to know, since avast seems to have mangled a download, so that the update for winrar is stuck at "preparing" for 2 days now. If I could find it and delete it, maybe avast would realize that I have actually manually updated the program since...

I have the exact same issue with winrar. According to the softwarehealth log in Avast I think they are downloaded to your temp folder under windows, the filename is "avast_ash". The software updater has been off my computer for almost  3 days now and I tried deleting that folder and I'm still reciving connections to rarlab.com from the svchost process. So I really have no idea what file to delete or to change to get rid of that, I'm guessing it has something to do with the windows registry as shown in this thread forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116993.0 where avast was completly removed and the programs are still "trying to update".

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:03:51 AM »
Please try resetting the database. see here -> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117051.msg907327#msg907327

IdontKnow1991

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 02:07:51 AM »
Please try resetting the database. see here -> http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117051.msg907327#msg907327
I tried resetting the database twice and it just ended up created 2 more instances of winrar trying to download. Was there a fix for this recently? Should I download the software updater again?

IdontKnow1991

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:15:35 PM »

I have the exact same issue with winrar. According to the softwarehealth log in Avast I think they are downloaded to your temp folder under windows, the filename is "avast_ash". The software updater has been off my computer for almost  3 days now and I tried deleting that folder and I'm still reciving connections to rarlab.com from the svchost process. So I really have no idea what file to delete or to change to get rid of that, I'm guessing it has something to do with the windows registry as shown in this thread forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116993.0 where avast was completly removed and the programs are still "trying to update".

I was able to move the folders (containing program names like VLC player, WinRar, Opera, Quicktime etc) which were inside avast_ash to another folder, and now the connections and downloading from these software companies have stopped.

However, Svchost.exe keeps trying to connect to rarlab.com when I connect to the internet everytime, then the connection closes automatically and does not download anything.

However, it is strange that the connection to rarlab persists, though the connections to other company websites have completely stopped.

If you are unable to delete the avast_ash folder from Windows > Temp, then try uninstalling Avast, then delete the folder and reinstall Avast again. That's what I did before moving the folders inside avast_ash to another folder.

Thanks for the info, I  tried uninstalling and I deleted those files, the result is still having 3 connections to rarlab. But it's cool that it worked for other programs, the only one the updater ever prompted for me was winrar. I should also note that I tried actually updating winrar manually and that didn't change anything which was kind of expected...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:50:56 PM by IdontKnow1991 »

Offline tosal

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
Hi,

We have currently an issue with WinRAR support which could lead to the effects as described here.
The problem will be fixed an update (via VPS update) as soon as any possible.

Sorry for the inconvenience.