Author Topic: Web Shield doesn't work  (Read 19868 times)

horbar

Web Shield doesn't work
« on: March 02, 2005, 06:39:31 PM »
Although Web Sield-Provider is startet,when I open a WebSite without firewall it is not working....and when the firewall (OutPost 2,5) is activ, no any reaction to, no asking for a rule...nothing......the site is normally opening........what is wrong,,what I do  ??? Exists for it a special configuration?
I work only with : windows 98-SE, FireFox 1.0 , Proxomitron as proxy, OutPost-2.5 , mail-client Gemail,and avast-home-4.6.603 and not any other security-programm.... Please excuse my bad english........ I would be very grateful for help-me
Regards    horbar
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 06:44:28 PM by horbar »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Web Shield doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:58:42 PM »
Most likely this happens because you are using a proxy.

Read the help file on how to setup the webschield manually.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 06:59:54 PM »
Edit: removed.

Didn't see the 'Proxomitron as proxy' follow Eddy's lead.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 07:02:43 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

horbar

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 07:20:38 PM »

...would you be so kind, to tell-me, where I can find in the help-file :"how to setup the webschield manually"
...sorry , I can't localise it  :'(
Thank-you very much,
regards  horbar

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 07:42:00 PM »
...would you be so kind, to tell-me, where I can find in the help-file :"how to setup the webschield manually"
...sorry , I can't localise it  :'(

Not all help files are updated...  :-[ Sorry.

The procedure will be similar to this:
1. Open the WebShield properties (Customize button on the providers lists).
2. Un-check the option 'Ignore the local traffic'.
3. Set the same port used by Proxomitron.
The best things in life are free.

horbar

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:33:46 PM »
Hallo Technical,
thank you, but "WebShield properties (Customize button on the providers lists)" I can't find it to......may be that exists only in the Pro-Version and not in the Home-edition  ??? I can only realize a configuration for the provider 8).....if it is so, what could I do ,or have I to forget the WebShield ? or exists an other resolution?
best regards,   horbar   

cvsa

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 08:37:21 PM »
in firefox/connection settings, set proxy 127.0.0.1 / port 12080

horbar

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 09:34:45 PM »
...but I need in FF Port 8080 for the proxy (Proxomitron)........
I think there must be find a resolution to set Webshield as proxy still in front of Proxomitron... :-\
horbar

horbar

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 09:57:03 PM »
... ;D...I find it out......id seems to work perfectly  ;D :D

....I am happy ...thanks for your helpfulness goodwill

horbar

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 11:44:09 PM »
... ;D...I find it out......id seems to work perfectly  ;D :D

Horbar...
What did you do? Posting will help users in the future with the same problem  8)

horbar

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 12:20:06 PM »
 ....o.k... ;).I did the following :
 Proxomitron works as proxy over Port 8080 and this Port
has to be set in:  firefox/connection settings, set proxy 127.0.0.1 / port 8080.......and because Proxomitron offers the additional possibility to use a "extern proxy", where is to set  :"localhost:12080"....
The setting in the firewall-rule for Webshield is : TCP/outgoing/HTTP/allowed......and so Webshield works perfectly included proxomitron ;D   
that is all....good luck :D
horbar

« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 01:00:55 PM by horbar »

Olaf101

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 01:19:31 PM »
I have to reactivate this thread, as i have a similar problem. I'm using Avast 4.6.623 on WinXP (SP2), Outpost 2.5 and Proxomitron as Proxy.
When using Maxthon (IE engine), webshield works fine without any modifications to the default settings of Avast Webshield and Proxomitron. But using Firefox (1.0.2) doesn't make Webshield to scan the traffic. If i set Firefox to direct internet access without Proxomitron, it works. But using Proxomitron only works for IE, not for Firefox. I tried to set localhost:12080 as proxy in Proxomitron, but that didn't change anything.
I even disabled Outpost (terminated it, to be more precise), but still the same problem.. It seems that traffic from Firefox is not scanned by Webshield when it goes through Proxomitron.
I'm quite sure that earlier versions of Avast didn't have this problem, but i can't say which was the last version that worked.
Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 01:33:36 PM »
I tried to set localhost:12080 as proxy in Proxomitron, but that didn't change anything.

Won't be the opposite?
I mean, if you set your Proxomitron proxy port into WebShield to scan and un-check the option 'Ignore local communication', won't it work?

Olaf101

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 01:36:14 PM »
That worked. But i want Webshield to be the first to scan web traffic, not Proxomitron.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 01:47:21 PM »
That worked. But i want Webshield to be the first to scan web traffic, not Proxomitron.

Well, I think this won't be possible as you're setting that Proxomitron rules the connection.
I mean, all traffic must 'left' your computer through Proxomitron (most probably you want to be anonymous while surfing). WebShield is 'behind' your local proxy. I have a local proxy too, if you don't set like this, you won't connect...