Author Topic: Web Shield doesn't work  (Read 19876 times)

Olaf101

Re: Web Shield doesn't work
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 02:00:49 PM »
I have a local proxy too, if you don't set like this, you won't connect...
As i said, everything works with IE, but not with Firefox.

Btw, Webshield is also a local proxy. There's no difference to another proxy (like Proxomitron), apart from the fact that Webshield is a transparent proxy. So the order of proxies doesn't matter.
What i want to point out is, that there seems to be a problem in the way Webshield detects web traffic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »
So the order of proxies doesn't matter.

I'm not so sure that this applies to 'all' local proxies... Mine, I'm absolutely sure that must the 'last' one (the one which really connects the Internet and drive all traffic with it).
The best things in life are free.

Olaf101

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 02:10:15 PM »
You may be right, although i doubt that there is a difference between Proxomitron and Webshield, as they both scan HTTP traffic.
I have no problem with changing my setup. But i am interested in how Webshield detects HTTP traffic.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 06:09:59 PM »
You may be right, although i doubt that there is a difference between Proxomitron and Webshield, as they both scan HTTP traffic.
I have no problem with changing my setup. But i am interested in how Webshield detects HTTP traffic.

Web Shield detects HTTP traffic by the port number. It monitors outgoing connections for the port numbers specified in the redirected ports configuration entry. It also checks the process name of the communicating program. Currently both iexplore.exe and firefox.exe are monitored.

Olaf101

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 08:49:41 PM »
That was what i thought of. But as i said (and believe me, that seems strange to me), Firefox traffic is _not_ detected when it goes through Proxomitron. At least not on my machine... :(

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 10:40:57 PM »
That was what i thought of. But as i said (and believe me, that seems strange to me), Firefox traffic is _not_ detected when it goes through Proxomitron. At least not on my machine... :(

Do you mean "when it goes through Proxomitron and Proxomitron's port is in the redirected Web Shield's ports?"

Olaf101

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 11:24:59 PM »
I didn't specify any proxy in Proxomitron configuration. It connects directly to the web, like a Browser does normally.. But even when i specify "localhost:12080" as proxy in Proxomitron, Webshield only scans when i use IE, not when i use Firefox.

When i tell webshield to scan port 8080 (which is Proxomitron's port) and uncheck "Ignore local communication", webshield is scanning.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 11:27:23 PM by Olaf101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 11:31:37 PM »
When i tell webshield to scan port 8080 (which is Proxomitron's port) and uncheck "Ignore local communication", webshield is scanning.

This is my first suggestion...  8)
The best things in life are free.

Olaf101

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 12:13:59 AM »
Right, but that's not the problem ;)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2005, 06:49:24 PM »
I have to get confirmation that i've set up the Webshield correctly.Sorry to be a Pain  :-[
1.WinXP pro sp2  .
2.Latest  v.of Avast!4.6.691
3.ZoneAlarm free v.6.0.667.000
4.FireFox v 1.0.7
The ordering is of installation of programs.

O.K. when I installed the latest version of ZoneAlarm free {v.6.0.667.000}  I  clicked  YES to turning off  "The WebShield Transparency mode "

Have read all there is to read here about this searching on the Forum.
As the web shield has not been working since WinXP Pro setup, using the previous versions of FF & ZA free &  Avast! I've enabled Proxy server for FireFox as instructed : http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/ws_ffproxy.htm

And in the Resident Protection: Web Shield - Basic page : Changed redirected HTTP port(s)from 80 to 12080.???

The Web shield is working, or there's a list of scanned Http//: items. Plus "Show detailed info of performed action" is displaying appropriate lines of messages at bottom of screen.

My confusion is about the transparent proxy mode. ? If I had of just said NO  when installing ZoneAlarm v.6.0.667.000; would I not have to enable Proxy server settings in FireFox or Change the redirected HTTP port(s)from 80(Default)to 12080 on the webshield basic page ???
Plus I saw that I was to change the  avast4.ini file settings for ZoneAlarm.
" ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line." which I haven't done.
I know all these things have been discussed before, but I'm confused as to whether I've set the webshield /proxies properly.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 07:59:11 PM »
My confusion is about the transparent proxy mode. ? If I had of just said NO  when installing ZoneAlarm v.6.0.667.000; would I not have to enable Proxy server settings in FireFox or Change the redirected HTTP port(s)from 80(Default)to 12080 on the webshield basic page ???

If transparent mode is off then there is no other way how the connection might get to WebShield then if WebShield acts as a proxy server. That is why you have to configure your browser to use WebShield as such.

Changing the redirected port to 12080 is completely INCORRECT. You are right, I don't know why anyone might want to do it. Please don't!

Plus I saw that I was to change the  avast4.ini file settings for ZoneAlarm.
" ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line." which I haven't done.
I know all these things have been discussed before, but I'm confused as to whether I've set the webshield /proxies properly.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Delete this line only when you know what are you doing - that is: you want to be asked again about the transparency mode with ZoneAlarm.

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 01:57:25 AM »
Changing the redirected port to 12080 is completely INCORRECT. You are right, I don't know why anyone might want to do it. Please don't!
Thanks  lukor .
I've changed the redirected port to 80 on the Web shield Basic page/ re-directed HTTP port. Funny thing is the shield was working, as far as I could ascertain ,with the redirected port at 12080  ???

EDIT - avast4.ini file settings for ZoneAlarm.
ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line." which I haven't done.
lukor:
Delete this line only when you know what are you doing - that is: you want to be asked again about the transparency mode with ZoneAlarm.
I do want transparency mode. I think  ???
The Avast! web shield hasn't worked with ZA free, which it should, so isn't it a matter of selecting NO on the incompatible software notice ?
Plus, how do I do this ?
Sorry, but I find this all very confusing. I suppose with FireFox running through a Proxy, everythings O.K. ?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2005, 01:50:21 AM »
I've changed the redirected port to 80 on the Web shield Basic page/ re-directed HTTP port. Funny thing is the shield was working, as far as I could ascertain ,with the redirected port at 12080  ???

Yes it does work in the same way as it works when you add the port (say) 12345. You are not connecting to port 12080 on the internet so redirecting this port although completely incorrect has no real meaning.

EDIT - avast4.ini file settings for ZoneAlarm.
ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line." which I haven't done.

I do want transparency mode. I think  ???
The Avast! web shield hasn't worked with ZA free, which it should, so isn't it a matter of selecting NO on the incompatible software notice ?
Plus, how do I do this ?
Sorry, but I find this all very confusing. I suppose with FireFox running through a Proxy, everythings O.K. ?

I don't understand your current problem. Does it works or not?

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2005, 10:10:15 PM »
lukor:
I don't understand your current problem. Does it works or not?
Yes Lukor, sorry about the confusion, too many factors which I didn't understand.Combination of XP sp2 /FF/ZA free/ Avast! web Shield had me confused, as I'm used to using win98 SE. and Internet Explorer  :P
 All is working well now, plus I've applied the FireFox proxy setings to a friends computer with FireFox 1.0.7 , ZA free, Avast! home,winXP SP2  and the web shield is working fine.  ;D