Author Topic: Can't get avast! Internet Security to work at all!  (Read 3527 times)

lgross1983

Can't get avast! Internet Security to work at all!
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:10:50 AM »
To anyone who can help me, I have been using avast! Internet Security for almost two years now and before that I used avast! Free, and never had any problems whatsoever. Actually, avast! saved my system from what appeared to be an non-removable bit of malware, so I have been a happy camper since. A few weeks ago however, I noticed the definitions weren't being updated as they usually are, and I believe this followed the version 7 to version 8 update, but ever since then, I haven't been able to run any scans, none of the shields are up, and the Windows Action Center is telling me I don't even have AV software installed. I've tried everything I could find out to fix this problem and nothing has worked. So far I have:

a. Ran the updater
b. Used the built in repair tool
c. Uninstalled using avast's tools, along with iObit Uninstaller, did a clean reinstall and still have the same problems
d. Downloaded a fresh copy of avast! and still get the same problems

I keep getting this message when I try to open avast!: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
I am the only user of this PC and have full admin control.

System specs:
Win 7 64bit Home Premium                        Razer Nostromo Keypad
i7 875k @2.96 Ghz                                     Razer Anansi Keyboard
16GB RAM @1600 Mhz                                Logitech G700 Mouse
Geforce GTX 650 @ 2GB
1 TB HDD

I run Threatfire alongside avast! and use a few other security programs when I need to, which hasn't been very often, and 9 times out of 10 wasn't necessary anyway. Could this be a conflict with another program? I would really hate to abandon avast! since I still have a year left on my sub, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
PS- sorry for the wall of text.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Can't get avast! Internet Security to work at all!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:57:21 AM »
I run Threatfire alongside avast! and use a few other security programs when I need to, which hasn't been very often, and 9 times out of 10 wasn't necessary anyway. Could this be a conflict with another program? I would really hate to abandon avast! since I still have a year left on my sub, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!
what programs do you have?

true indian

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
Can please try and fully disable threatfire and other programs you run beside avast and then try to clean install avast.  :)

lgross1983

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:20:46 PM »
Threatfire is the only other security program that I keep running besides avast. As needed I install Malware Bytes, Spybot Seek & Destroy, and Reanimator. Threatfire has never caused a problem with installing a fresh copy of avast before, but I will try disabling it first and see.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
Spybot Seek & Destroy
spybot tea timer have sometimes given avast conflicts

also the program is waste of disk space as it obsolete.....you dont need it with avast and Malwarebytes

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2261193,00.asp
Bottom Line
Spybot's skill at cleaning up malware-infested systems is mediocre, and it has almost no ability to protect a clean system. Back in its heyday it was deservedly popular, but that day has long passed. For modern threats you'll need a modern spyware protector.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412372,00.asp
In testing, it proved almost 100 percent ineffective.

lgross1983

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
Disabled Threatfire and tried a clean install. Still getting the same error message when I try to open avast. The services tab in my Task Manager is reporting that Avast AV, and Firewall are both running, but there is nothing for avast in the processes tab, nor in my taskbar. None of the avast shortcuts work either.

As previously stated, the only other security program I run along side avast is Threatfire (meaning, it is the only one installed), I only install the others when I suspect a problem, and I use several due to advice from a techie who helped me get through a serious infection, that no single program was able to remove. Those were his recommendations, so I stuck with them.