Author Topic: Software Updater glitch  (Read 2856 times)

Offline DraKuL

Software Updater glitch
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
Hi,

There was a new version of Google Chrome released yesterday and the software updater wasnt showing it. I tried resetting the databases but it didn't fix it. Anyway I updated it manually and see screenshot,
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Software Updater glitch
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
Resetting the database won't resolve it if the database isn't un to date, it will take a little time to catch up from various update releases. This is possible more so for chrome as the ink rarely dries on the previous update before the next is released.

Not sure what was in that build but it is a very minor build update xx.x.xxxx.008 increment, so I don't know if it would feature on the update radar.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
oh ok.. just wanted to report and see if its a possible glitch :)
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
I know on mine that it doesn't go to that level (4th incremental build number) when it is concerned with firefox, it is only reporting FF 19.0 in its database, which a few minutes ago was correct, but the FF UI reported an update available 19.0.2 (which I have just updated). The avast software updater will have to catch up as in cases like this it incorrectly reports an update is available when what you have is a later version/build.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
Well from what I know the main purpose of the software updater is to make sure most of the important software installed on a computer is up-to-date because the updates contain patches  to fix security exploits etc..  Most of the software that release these 'minor' updates will not release a major version unless it contains something 'big'.. They wont release major versions regularly, only small patch updates and if the software updater wont pick up those updates, it doesnt serve the purpose.

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE this new feature, just hope that it could be more effective.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
For those that already actively monitor their updates it is not essential, but for the majority of users it is a great bonus. In some cases it also takes the hassle out of finding the update location, etc. it makes the adobe flash update a breeze and you know just how frequently that is getting updated. Not to mention those who still have JAVA installed and that is like a Swiss cheese and needs to be constantly updated.

That said, I found Adobe Air on my win7 netbook and that was well out of date and I can't recall ever having it installed. So it prompted (not literally) me to uninstall it as I have never used it or really know what it was for (until I then went looking).

I think like most new functions it will get better as it matures.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:21:24 PM »
True, and as I said I love this new function. Yeah we do monitor updates frequently so it doesnt really affect us, but as I said it doesnt serve the purpose well enough if it doesnt look for ALL the updates, even the minor ones.

Just saw that it doesnt have the new iTunes software update details.. So its much less effective when it doesnt cover the entire updates.. Just something they could improve :)