Author Topic: Will Software Updater Cause System Reboot ?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline larrymcg

Will Software Updater Cause System Reboot ?
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
I saw a post claiming that the Software Updater can lead to a system reboot without giving a choice to do the reboot later.
Is that true?  If so, that needs to be fixed.  It is never OK to reboot my system without my permission.
--Larry
Avast Free V 8.0.1482 on WinXP SP3.

BaluBig

Re: Will Software Updater Cause System Reboot ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:40 AM »
Hi Larry,

I complained, yes. It doesn't start the update silently but once started it can end up with a sudden reboot. Probably this also depends on the software being updated. So as for now  I'd not start any updates if not ready for reboot.
But the idea itself is good. To have one centralized update facility instead of tons of update schedulers in autostart for every piece of software.

Best regards - Serge.

Offline tosal

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
I complained, yes. It doesn't start the update silently but once started it can end up with a sudden reboot. Probably this also depends on the software being updated. So as for now  I'd not start any updates if not ready for reboot.
But the idea itself is good. To have one centralized update facility instead of tons of update schedulers in autostart for every piece of software.

In general an automatic and silent reboot is not acceptable (of course). Software Updater is designed to avoid that. However, this might have been a special situation where the installer of a 3rd party product executed the reboot for some (unknown) reason. Right now we are dealing with such a problem in Java - so this might have affected you as well. Could you please post the logfile of Software Update? You'll find it here:
c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\  (Windows Vista/7)

BaluBig

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »
Hi,

Could you please post the logfile of Software Update? You'll find it here:
c:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log\  (Windows Vista/7)

Here it is (posting it as is). If you need any other info from me - just ping me.

Best regards - Serge.