Author Topic: Thunderbird Not Working Since Upgrade  (Read 3380 times)

Peachead

Thunderbird Not Working Since Upgrade
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
Using Gmail imap through Thunderbird - Mails are not retrieved in the Mail Scan is activated and the option to scan ssl is selected

The only way that Thunderbird works and retrieves emails is to turn the Mail Scan option off which leaves that element of the system unprotected

What do I need to do get the mail program working with the Avast Mail Scan

It worked perfected with Avast 7 when the mails were set to NON and Avast handles the SSL but not now!!

Any ideas

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Thunderbird Not Working Since Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »
Try the Search feature for: ThunderBird Mail Certificates.
Might provide helpful info :)

Or SSL settings for Avast. Avast now scans SSL automatically
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:06:19 PM by schmidthouse »

Peachead

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
If it scans ssl automatically, why would I need to search for Avast SSL settings?

Anyway a search for such settings brings up OLD information from Avast 7 https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=avast+ssl+settings&oq=avast+ssl+settings&gs_l=hp.3..0i22i30l2.838.6107.0.6579.22.17.2.0.0.0.563.3462.1j8j5j2j0j1.17.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.5.hp.UAmwlQ9rsqo
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:13:49 PM by Peachead »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
With avast 7 you were required to turn off the security in your email client so that avast was able to handle the security for you, with avast 8 you can turn the security back on within your email client and delete the email ssl accounts from avast as they are no longer needed.

Peachead

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
Yep already done that - The mail client is set to SSL there is a tick in Avast to Scan SSL but it refuses to allow mail to be received or sent - It only works if I take the tick out of SSL in Avast or shut down the Mail Scanning entirely.

From what I've read, I don't believe I'm the only one with this problem - Everything else works fine but for now have the have the mail unprotected until it works

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »
If unticking the scan SSL works for now then stick with that until someone with more knowledge about Gmail pops in, technically your not unprotected as I think Gmail is pre-scanned with two different AV's

avparn

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »
Hi, see if this thread and post --is this applicable to your case also, maybe ?
  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116551.msg907659#msg907659

Peachead

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
No that gobbledegook link does not help, there are no error messages - Thunderbird keeps scrolling and scrolling till it eventually times out but retrieves immediately if I either take the tick out of SSL in Avast or turn of the MailScan entirely

plsrepli

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
Are you using a portable version of Thunderbird perhaps? If you are, then you must do some manual configuration because the Avast installer does not propogate any installation parameters to the portable Thunderbird email program. Follow the instructions below:

Open an elevated command prompt (eg run as admin) and execute "certmgr.msc" (without quotes). Now find the Avast Root Certificate and export it to a common directory (ie, downloads, documents, etc):

Once done, open Thunderbird and navigate to the Certificates. Delete the current Avast Ceritifcate (if shown) and continue to the next step:

Now, import the new certificate that you extracted via running certmgr.msc into Thunderbird as shown below;

And finally, edit the newly imported certificate as shown below:

Also, I'm guessing this might fix your problem even if you are running the installed version of Thunderbird. Good luck!