Author Topic: avast! User Interface future...  (Read 23582 times)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
avast! User Interface future...
« on: March 02, 2005, 07:49:32 PM »
Hi,

The developers team of avast! are thinking to improve the GUI of avast! for the next version or some newer version?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 01:50:20 AM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »
Avast Free Antivirus: Web Shield & Home Network Security.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! GUI future...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 07:57:09 PM »
What do you mean? We have skin and skinless, we have the Enhanced User Interface...
Do you mean the GUI enabling more settings?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »
I've installed the avast! in some of my friends computers and they think that avast! isn't easy to use...
Maybe because they are accustomed with another AV's, like Norton, McAfee, etc...

I've the same opinion. The avast! is very configurable but the GUI should be more unified, instead of are separated by another sections...

Why not, when we double click on the avast! tray icon, appears the actual settings more the things that are on when we click in "Start avast! Antivirus"? I think that this way will be much more easy to use and control the avast!...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:14:30 PM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 08:12:42 PM »
As you know... this was discussed a lot...
I can't imagine why Alwil did not implement such wishes...

lee16

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 08:18:37 PM »
As you know... this was discussed a lot...
I can't imagine why Alwil did not implement such wishes...

Maybe because some people (like me), like it the way it is  ;)

--lee

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:20:07 PM »
I already have post some times about this, but I think that this should be discussed with more attention...

I like avast! a lot, but the GUI is definitely not good, and I think that a lot of users have the same opinion!

It seems that the avast! team will improve the detection rate in the next version and will be very nice if they make a new GUI too for the v5.0 :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 08:26:17 PM »
I like avast! a lot, but the GUI is definitely not good

I did not say (or think like) that...
The GUI is very good in my opinion but, like any other thing, could be improved  ;)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 08:29:04 PM »
I like avast! a lot, but the GUI is definitely not good

I did not say (or think like) that...
The GUI is very good in my opinion but, like any other thing, could be improved ;)

OK, are good but not very good or excellent :P

lee16

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 08:30:54 PM »
Maybe an option should be given when installing then, if people are really that botherd about it, so they can either use the interface they have now, or a newer one of avast teams design  ;)
That way, everyones happy

--lee

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 08:31:59 PM »
Maybe an option should be given when installing then, if people are really that botherd about it, so they can either use the interface they have now, or a newer one of avast teams design ;)
That way, everyones happy

--lee

Could be a solution :)

But the size of the installer maybe will grow :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:38:27 PM by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

neiby

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 08:46:51 PM »
I would like to say that as a relatively new Avast user ( just a few months) that I wish the interface were more friendly. I don't like having to deal with the different interfaces within the product. I'd like to see a single integrated interface.

Along those lines, the options shown when you right-click on the Avast icon are confusing and need to be changed a little bit to make them more accurate.

I'm a former NAV user, and I feel that Avast is a better solution but NAV is easier to use and understand.

John

Newton

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 08:50:07 PM »
I've installed the avast! in some of my friends computers and they think that avast! isn't easy to use...
Maybe because they are accustomed with another AV's, like Norton, McAfee, etc...

I've the same opinion. The avast! is very configurable but the GUI should be more unified, instead of are separated by another sections...

Why not, when we double click on the avast! tray icon, appears the actual settings more the things that are on when we click in "Start avast! Antivirus"? I think that this way will be much more easy to use and control the avast!...

To counter this, I simply created a different shortcut on my toolbar (you can do the same on your desktop). One to start the "on-demand" antivirus or "skin part of Avast" directly. Problem solved. Anyway, you can get to all parts of the software from there, except for maybe the VRDB options, who needs to be configured once every blue moon. 8)

Believe me, before I decided to go with Avast, I tried every single other antivirus evaluation version available. ALL of them are separated in different parts. And in my opinion Norton and McAfee are terrible in terms of use of resources + intolerance to cope with many other software. What's worse, a lot of them either do not have enough options, either take complete control of your PC without any permission or possibility to take it back, unless you uninstall them.

On the contrary, I believe that Avast, being unique amongst antivirus software to allow skin change, is because of that one step in advance regarding GUI.  ;)

But, of course, tastes may vary. It is impossible for any software company to design a product that is gonna fit the needs of everyone.  8)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »
Perfectly said Newton, nothing to add... there is really nothing to add. Million different users, million different opinions. Although, I don't think Vampiric_Crow meant on "ugly" skins... I believe he tried to say that avast! User Interface (so we are actually talking about UI, not GUI... GUI is Graphical User Interface) is split into few different sections, not compiled into one copact unit... so some options, like for example for On-Access Scanner, you can access by left clicking on avast! system tray icon... if you wanna access main avast console, you have to righ-click the same icon... for new users, especially for those which just entered into antivirus application world, it really can be very confusing... also, many fine-tunning options are accessible from .ini file only. I am sure it's not an easy job for Alwil team to put everything under same "umbrella", but there must be some way to bandage everything little bit better... maybe something like AVG is using... one massive central interface with few main buttons that would lead, one to On-Access Scanner, one to main avast! scanner, another to something else etc...

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 12:03:27 AM »
Thanks Sasha...  ;)
It will be very good that we can handle the tweaks of avast without editing avast4.ini file.
Better will be if we have the explanation of the settings there.
I really think that one of the best things on avast is the skinnable feature. Users can feel strange but, definetively for me, a skinnable application has a superior interface than one that does not offer this possibility. More, avast has both possibilities  ;)

Offline rdsu

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 01:49:48 AM »
I don't like the Newton...
Sasha is right, I'm referring only to User Interface...

Since we haven't seen any post, on this topic, from the avast! team, I can conclude that this will remain like it is...

Regards